XM Antenna compatible with Sirius Plug and Play unit?

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Just bought an 09 Higlander and didn't get the XM option because I have a Sirius Plug and Play. Will the built in XM antenna work with my Sirius connection, assuming I can find where that is?

I am not sure but I don't think it will. Somebody else will know for sure.

Why not get the factory option in a brand new vehicle like this? I know I would love to get factory XM if I could buy now with cash for clunkers.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
If you could post a picture of what the antenna end looks like we could set you up with the right antenna adapter and extension cord that you would need for your radio. And by antenna end I mean the end that would plug into the radio.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I'm going to do this on my new to me 05 CRV I'm getting next week.

It will be nice to use the factory XM antenna with my Stiletto 2.

BeyEhmVey

Oct 15, 2008
Newtown, CT
www.cyclesnack.com
Now, here is another question for you. On my HU, there is a SAT and AUX switch. The SAT switch is colocated with AM and the AUX with DISC. I plugged my Stratus into the AUX connection and it picked it right up, but I don't have any CDs in the player yet (just got the car on Friday) but I was told that you press once for Disc, and once again for AUX.

I wonder if the AM/SAT switch works on the same principle. So, if I were to find where the input for the SAT switch is (I am assuming it's standard L/R RCA jacks, as long as there is something coming in (music it should recognize it).

Now if Sirius would make a PNP with single input connector for everything, life would be grand.

Let me know how the install goes.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Using the factory antenna won't change the fact that your plug and play will be connected to the Aux in. Most factory antennas have a very short wire pigtail, maybe 3 or 4 inches, long. The remainder of the wiring from the antenna to the sat tuner runs in the cars wire harness. If you really want to integrate your your plug and play with your factory radio, you might be able to use a TOY-SC1 Toyota interface, and an SCVDOC1. If it works with your particular model it will allow you to hide your plug and play, and control it from your head unit, just like a factory radio. Talk to Matt and TSS he can help you out.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I am 95% sure my car is prewired for XM. I just talked to the experts at TSS and that means that there is no antenna on the roof. I guess there is a dummy cover where the antenna would be if the car had XM.

When I get it next week I will take the whole thing apart to see what's going on.

I just ordered all my pieces from TSS for my car and my wife's so I can finally get her car done, too.

BeyEhmVey

Oct 15, 2008
Newtown, CT
www.cyclesnack.com
I just spoke with Toyo parts guy and he said mine is wired into the radio. Therefore, if I wanted to use it, I would need to get a converter kit which is probably too boocoo for my budget. Looks like I will just have to live with a second antenna on my roof.

BeyEhmVey

Oct 15, 2008
Newtown, CT
www.cyclesnack.com
Looks like all need is the TOY03-AUX, assuming it's compatible with my 09 Highlander. Then I will be able to use the SAT switch on the HU. Get one of those Panavise Dash mounts, and then figure out where to run the antenna and see if I can hard wire my power connector and then I will golden.

Speaking of which, my power is a 5 volt converter because I have the Stratus, can I take it apart and connect to the vehicle's electrical system or is there another way to do that?

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Looks like all need is the TOY03-AUX, assuming it's compatible with my 09 Highlander. Then I will be able to use the SAT switch on the HU. Get one of those Panavise Dash mounts, and then figure out where to run the antenna and see if I can hard wire my power connector and then I will golden.

Speaking of which, my power is a 5 volt converter because I have the Stratus, can I take it apart and connect to the vehicle's electrical system or is there another way to do that?

I know I answered the power question in another thread, but for the TOY03-AUX, you cannot use the SAT button for that. This is an auxiliary input adapter that will only allow you to use the radio in AUX mode, not SAT. You will not be able to control the channels or display information from your 09 Highlanders radio. It will all have to be controlled from the Sirius unit.

Also, the TOY03-AUX will not work for a 2009 highlander. Here is the part that you will need: http://www.tss-radio.com/peripheral-aux-input-kit-for-toyota-p-5922.html It will perform the same function as the TOY03-AUX but it is made by a company called Peripheral instead of PIE.

Last edited:

BeyEhmVey

Oct 15, 2008
Newtown, CT
www.cyclesnack.com
Also, the TOY03-AUX will not work for a 2009 highlander. Here is the part that you will need: Peripheral Aux Input Kit 1 for Toyota It will perform the same function as the TOY03-AUX but it is made by a company called Peripheral instead of PIE.

PIE makes an TOY03-AUX/S for the SAT switch. I sent them an email yesterday to see if it's compatible with the 09 Highlander. If that works, then I will be golden. Only question now is if I can find someone competent enough in my area to do the install.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Matt, would the TOY-SC1 and the SCVDOC1 work for this guy? If it does that would be ideal, because he could use his plug and play, and control it from his existing head unit.

BeyEhmVey

Oct 15, 2008
Newtown, CT
www.cyclesnack.com
Matt, would the TOY-SC1 and the SCVDOC1 work for this guy? If it does that would be ideal, because he could use his plug and play, and control it from his existing head unit.

I don't want to control it from the HU, I like playing with the buttons on the unit. I am still waiting to hear back from PIE on whether my radio is compatible with TOY-AUX/S.

ParrotSquawk

Sep 23, 2009
My situation is similar but different. I have the XM trial with my HU on my Hyundai.

It has a 24 pin connector and a 32 pin connector, a standard radio antenna and a GPS antenna.

On the 32 pin connector I see:
PIN # Signal Name I/O Pin Description

4 AUX_AUDIO_L I XM AUDIO_L Input(L)
12 XM_B+ O XM Power B+
13 CAN_L I/O XM CAN_L
20 AUX_AUDIO_R I XM AUDIO_R Input (R)
29 CAN_H I/O XM CAN_L

Does this mean my HU has an outboard XM unit? I don't see the antenna into the HU at all.

I want to add in my Sirius PNP (much better controls than most other units IMHO...direct channel input, remote control etc.)

While I could go the FM Modulator route, I have a lot of FM stations around here and even with the circuit cut, the FM stations come through.

Any suggestions?