XBOX live kills mods

Discussion in 'Games & Consoles' started by xan_user, Nov 11, 2009.

1. xan_user

xan_user Banned

The worlds richest hacker, Billy Gate$, joins Job$ as they thumb their gilded noses at their hacker roots...and their customers.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft disconnects Xbox gamers

2. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Microsoft is well within their rights to do this.

Illegal is illegal.
  3. xan_user

xan_user Banned

So in your opinion it was ok for young Billy and Stevie to break the very same rules they now so strongly enforce?

:confused:
  4. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

EDIT:

Illegal is illegal. They should be held accountable for laws they've broken. At the least, it's hypocritical. I'll give you that.
  5. Chob

Chob New Member

Exactly, I see no problem with this. Now other things, like not letting users hook up third party external hard drives to the XBox 360, I have a problem with.
  6. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

If it were YOUR company, YOUR gaming console, YOUR bottom line - wouldn't YOU do the same thing? I know I would. Good for them, thieving little peckerheads. I used to do similar stuff but not anymore. Just buy the stuff for crying out loud.
  7. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

^^ Said the guy who jailbreaks his iPhone. :p :jj:
  8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think MS is well within their rights to protect their intellectual property.

Also just because someone was a hack at one point doesn't mean they will be forever. People change and especially when those changes hurt the bottom line of their businesses. Back when folks like Gates, Jobs etc were just starting out they did a lot of crazy things, but these are now billion dollar companies, they can't continue to act like hacks that have nothing to lose. Some of us get that and some of us clearly don't!
    hyson likes this.
  9. xan_user

xan_user Banned

beat me to it!:whistle:

10. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

+1. Well said. :bigthumbup:
  11. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Yes but is he jailbreaking it to steal apps? I would say probably not. There is NO reason whatsoever to mod their consoles other than to play burned copies of games (ie pirated games) There is no homebrew community for the 360.

Those who mod their consoles do it to pirate games and then cause the game experience to suck for everyone else by causing their box to flood the game with network traffic etc (thus ruining the multiplayer experience for everyone who coincidentally enough pay for the privilege of gaming online on the xbox.

Also their are doing it to protect their developers as well. It's not all about Microsoft's bottom line either. It's the bottom line of the entire video game industry. Developers don't make any money if someone pirates their games.
    mrpacs likes this.
  12. xan_user

xan_user Banned

I like to use my backups of all my optical discs, and store the original, in case of scratches or theft.
  13. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Ok well if that's the actual case for you. Then your like .10% of the modding community on the Xbox.

IMHO but those are the breaks. Maybe put your discs where kids and pets can't get them and/or take better care of them.

And in case of theft who is going to steal those but leave your Xbox?
  14. xan_user

xan_user Banned

Once had many Cd's stolen by a roommates ex girlfriend to chance that on a $60 game. She even left the cases as a decoy. it was months before we figured it out. :cry:
  15. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

meh if thats the case even (Sorry seen too many illegitimate modders give the same type of reason/story on why they mod) your percentage is so small that it Sucks to be you.

Gotta decide if everything else thats part of Xbox LIVE is worth just the "risk" (thats honestly in your case 1 in 500,000 of happening) of a game or getting your console banned.
  16. xan_user

xan_user Banned

meh its just one more reason to sell the whole kit and cancel live. In the end it saves me $ and i have more time with my kids.

-Just wanted to warn others if they are concerned.

There is a difference between having the right to do something, and doing whats right.

Hey, at least Gates isn't a double-hypocrite by being a hacker AND a buddhist like jobs.

Be interesting to see how this sort of stuff plays out in the EU under their fair use act over the next few years. being able to legally back up your purchases is a big part of it.
  17. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Go Bucks!!!

I just got my 360 I wasn't planning on modding it. I have a PS3 and I guess you can't hack that yet. My only beef with MS and the 360 is how they rape you for wifi and then charge you for a charge and play kit. They could have added that stuff. I would have paid a little more. Atleast my PS3 has all that stuff included. So I can see why people get pissed and modd things, but if your that pissed then don't buy a 360. I obviously wasn't that pissed. I like my 360. :bigthumbup:
  18. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

Oh but you can! I don't have a PS3 but I know that it is mod-able. Infectus is the name of the chip.
  19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Right on! Very well said, there are those that its always about the principle of the thing. They could care less about the video gaming industry as long as they get what they want. Its my right, I should be able to do what I want with it since I purchased it. hehehe

Anyway... good post thanks! :bigthumbup:
  20. xan_user

xan_user Banned

GM should start using the on-star system to disable cars and trucks outfitted with non GM ECU chips.
    How dare a customer want better performance and features than the factory can/will offer?