Xact Visor for sale at Big Lots stores

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I don't know how nationwide Big Lots is, but it's a clearance department store.

Anyhow, the one nearest to my office has Xact Visors for sale for $20.

It's funny to look at the channel lineup on the card and see the changes from then to now.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
The fm transmitter on this radio is a monster.

This was the first radio I had and th efm transmitter was super strong. I could drive down the block and hear Howard.

For $20 this would make a perfect home radio.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
The fm transmitter on this radio is a monster.

This was the first radio I had and th efm transmitter was super strong. I could drive down the block and hear Howard.

For $20 this would make a perfect home radio.

I think it only comes with a DC adapter, but yeah.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C63WYS]Amazon.com: XACT XS052 Home kit for the XACT Visor XTR3CK plug-and-play SIRIUS radio: Electronics[/ame]

$7.95 at Amazon.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
And I think there might be a batch of them made toward the end of the FCC brouhaha that weren't as powerful as the earlier models.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I love BIG LOTS but you wonder if the VISOR is refurbished. Mrs. goreds2 started out with the SIRIUS Visor. I liked that little receiver. It went out after 2 years though.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I love BIG LOTS but you wonder if the VISOR is refurbished. Mrs. goreds2 started out with the SIRIUS Visor. I liked that little receiver. It went out after 2 years though.

Hard to say, but they are factory sealed in the plastic casing. Plus, they have an old, old channel lineup on the packaging.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
We still use a Visor to broadcast Sirius throughout the house for listening on our various radios. Good for waking up to Sirius upstairs in the bedroom without having to run gear up there.

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Does this radio have a regular line-out jack in addition to the FM transmitter?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Does this radio have a regular line-out jack in addition to the FM transmitter?

Yes - I've hooked up a pair of powered speakers to ours. Here's a link to the manual if anyone is interested: http://www.xacttechnology.com/getdoc.php?id=49

Oh - one other issue with this radio to be aware of is that it had an upper limit on channel numbers. When Sirius added some of the Canadian channels and others back around 2006 or so, the French language channels couldn't be listened to. I think some of the channel rearranging fixed this, but I think that BoXM might be a problem still, not to mention possible future changes.*

* (I qualify this by saying that my unit has this problem - I do not know if it was ever addressed or fixed by Xact. Probably doubtful, considering the animosity that was there, but I feel I needed to mention this.)

hjsiemer

Aug 13, 2009
Maryland
Strong FM Transmitter-how to tell

The way to tell if it has the strong FM transmitter is if it will transmit below 88.1mhz. I have two of them, one was built before 1/1/06, has a strong fm transmitter and will transmit on 87.7 and 87.9.

The other one I got was built after 1/1/06, has the weak transmitter and will only transmit from 88.1 to 107.7 - so check the specs on the box before you buy....

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Here is a review with pictures etc.

A hands-on review of the XACT Visor satellite radio

612XTR3CK-glamour.jpg

scajjr

Jan 1, 2009
Kingston, NH
I still use my Visor in my work truck. Almost 4 years old and still going strong. Awesome FM transmitter. Strong enough I had neighbors who could easily get the signal.

Sam

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yes - I've hooked up a pair of powered speakers to ours. Here's a link to the manual if anyone is interested: http://www.xacttechnology.com/getdoc.php?id=49

Oh - one other issue with this radio to be aware of is that it had an upper limit on channel numbers. When Sirius added some of the Canadian channels and others back around 2006 or so, the French language channels couldn't be listened to. I think some of the channel rearranging fixed this, but I think that BoXM might be a problem still, not to mention possible future changes.*

* (I qualify this by saying that my unit has this problem - I do not know if it was ever addressed or fixed by Xact. Probably doubtful, considering the animosity that was there, but I feel I needed to mention this.)

FWIW, The highest channel now is 161. BoXM is 195-220.

The highest-numbered French Canadian stuff I can find now is:
137 CBC Radio One News/Talk
138 Canadian Weather Network