Wunder Radio reaches out to Windows Mobile

KTMCDO

Oct 15, 2008
ALBUQUERQUE NM
source cnet news

There's no shortage of streaming radio apps for mobile phones, but lately it seems that far more have been readied for iPhone than for Windows Mobile. On Thursday, Wunder Radio (download), already a popular iPhone radio app, also became available for Windows Mobile phones.

It may not be the prettiest radio app out there, but Wunder Radio packs in a ton of stations provided by Radio Time, around 36,000. The stations span everything from talk radio and Weather Underground's local weather reports to the browsing, searching, and genre-scouring you'd expect from a streaming radio application. The search engine, we might add, is sensitive to radio show and show host names in addition to station names and call letters. If your Smartphone or Pocket PC is GPS-enabled, Wunder Radio can fetch some of your local stations.

Wunder Radio's extras are also serviceable--you'll be able to save and view favorites, stream stations in the background, and open a URL from the application. In addition to the standalone application, Wunder Radio installs a home screen plug-in onto most phones (our Samsung Omnia blocked this) that streams program and song information and offers a shortcut to favorite stations.

Price may be the only major sticking point with Wunder Radio. The Windows Mobile version costs just shy of $10 as part of a 30-day promotion, after which the app's price shoots up to $14.99. While competing radio applications like Pandora for Windows Mobile don't have the breadth of Wunder Radio's stations, or even its goal (Pandora Radio is concerned with music discovery, not with talk radio and finding particular stations), Pandora's free application may satisfy many music-seekers. For those with more specific tastes, Wunder Radio's broad tuner gives you a good chance of finding what you seek. A free, 15-day trial period gives you time to bond with the app, after which you'll decide if you're ready to buy.

Note: As it goes with streaming radio apps, faster data connection speeds through 3G and Wi-Fi produce the best sound, with fewer interruptions and skips.

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA
poor app not ready for primetime

this is really a bad app, you can''t search by program, no clear channel stations, locks up phone, and the gps to find locals doesn't work. Its really sad that they just didn't spend the time to make the win mobile version as good as the Iphone version. Maybe they will work out the bugs them this will be great.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
They improved the iPhone app over time. It had the same issues with that platform. And the reason is there are no Clear Channel stations is Clear Channel asked to have them removed for their 'iHeartRadio' app which features all the clear channel stations.

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA
I hope it gets better I like radiotimes directory. I'll prob buy it after all I can get 25% off. As for clear channel they have no app on the HTC touch pro but I found a web page with clear channel links that work on PDA's and win mobile.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The part I like is the scanners, and the world radio stations like BBC Radio 5 and stuff like that.

s0undb1te

Mar 27, 2009
clear channel has their own app, iheartradio, and they just released it for blackberry as well.. i definitely like this radio app teh best because it has better radio stations and the sound quality is better... i found out about it and other promotions iheartmusic does by bein in the iheartmusic group on facebook, you should def join if u want to hear about new promotions first - iHeartMusic.com | Facebook

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Sirius XM on Wunder Radio

I've read where you can get Sirius XM on Wunder Radio. Can you get it using Windows Mobile on Wunder Radio?