WTF is going on in the world?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
If, as many people believe, exposure to violent movies and tv shows and video games stirs people to commit acts of violence, then shouldn't it also be true that movies and tv shows and video games that are non-violent and carry a positive message motivate people to perform acts of kindness? Or are most people easily influenced to do bad things but never influenced to do good things?

The official DRC Debate Team might want to discuss this.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If, as many people believe, exposure to violent movies and tv shows and video games stirs people to commit acts of violence, then shouldn't it also be true that movies and tv shows and video games that are non-violent and carry a positive message motivate people to perform acts of kindness? Or are most people easily influenced to do bad things but never influenced to do good things?

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"Accused shooter." Really? Patrick Crusius isn't just the "accused shooter." He's the shooter. Period. A police spokesman told ABC News that Crusius said he "wanted to kill as many Mexicans as possible." Lovely.

Death toll rises to 22 as investigators put together timeline of accused shooter's movements

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

People outside the USA don't watch the same movies or play the same video games?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
People outside the USA don't watch the same movies or play the same video games?
They do.

chart_2.png

Reactions: geosync

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Why is it copycats want to copy bad behavior, never good behavior? What is wrong with society that anyone would look to mass murderers as role models?

Walmart worker's son threatened to 'shoot up' a Florida Walmart store and said he was inspired by recent deadly shootings

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
A whole generation of children is growing up fearful of being shot and killed. This story is heartbreaking:

5-year-old girl who lost her parents in El Paso massacre asks if she'll be shot next

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
A whole generation of children is growing up fearful of being shot and killed. This story is heartbreaking:

5-year-old girl who lost her parents in El Paso massacre asks if she'll be shot next

I'm as anti-gun as they come, but here are the facts.

Gun deaths per person hit an all time low in 2014, about a third of what it was in the 1980s. It's been on the rise a bit lately, but
1) the strong economy leads to more gun deaths
2) the largest part of the increase is in suicides
3) the rate is only a little above the all-time low.

Worldwide 24-hour news makes people think everything is happening more everywhere.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The CDC has a list of each state's gun deaths in 2017. The states with the most gun deaths per 100,000 population are Alaska, Montana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and Arkansas. Hawai'i has the fewest. Three of the ten deadliest shootings in the past two years have occurred in Texas. I imagine Texas will be closer to the top of the list when the statistics for 2018 and 2019 are tabulated.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm really not trying to be flippant here, and I know it's devastating to those families who have to deal with one of the gun related homicides, but 15k out of like 330 million people doesn't seem that bad to me. IDK, I'm fine with living in a world where I have a 0.004% chance of getting killed with a gun (also, I'm sure a lot of those are not all that random) in order to have the ability to buy weapons at will.

Also, why aren't accidents on the list? Suicide is killing yourself "voluntarily and intentionally". I imaging there are a whole lot of accidental deaths per year. I guess it's a whole lot harder to gather those stats.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm really not trying to be flippant here, and I know it's devastating to those families who have to deal with one of the gun related homicides, but 15k out of like 330 million people doesn't seem that bad to me. IDK, I'm fine with living in a world where I have a 0.004% chance of getting killed with a gun (also, I'm sure a lot of those are not all that random) in order to have the ability to buy weapons at will.

We all trade safety for something. Cars kill more than twice as many people as guns, for instance, but they provide a host of benefits, so we do what we can to mitigate the risk and accept it.

Guns just don’t provide enough benefit to justify the cost, especially in densely populated areas.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Mass shootings are increasing.

Total_deaths_in_US_mass_shootings.png

Gun related deaths are also increasing.

1999-2016_Gun-related_deaths_USA.png
1) I never specifically referenced "mass shootings", because statistically they're insignificant. So I don't know why you think you're rebutting this.
2) I'm very familiar with the wikipedia gun-death chart you posted. There's nothing in the chart that contradicts (in the least) anything I said.
3) Posting that chart is very deceptive and misleading, which is why I didn't. Here are a few things to note:
- it starts at 1999, when it's already low. Go back to 1980 and then see how it looks.
- It's a raw data chart, it's not adjusted for per-capita population. If it was, you'd see it slope down to the right, and the bump at the end would be smaller.
- If it were adjusted properly, it would show that 2014 was an all-time low (just as I stated). After then, as the economy improves, gun deaths go up. If you bothered to look at long-term trends, you'd see this often.
- as I stated, suicide rates increased twice as much as homicide rates, so that's the more significant contributor.
4) I did acknowledge that gun deaths are up, so I don't know exactly what you're debating.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Also, why aren't accidents on the list? Suicide is killing yourself "voluntarily and intentionally". I imaging there are a whole lot of accidental deaths per year. I guess it's a whole lot harder to gather those stats.
Your math makes no sense. The 15k is for 1 calendar year. So each year, the same 330m people are at risk. If you plan on being alive for more than 1 year, the figures compound.

Also, why are you not bothered by the fact that gun deaths in the US are way above any other country? You're all gung-ho about the ability to own a gun, but wouldn't you rather live someplace where it's infinitely less likely you'd need it, rather than walking around your whole life packing heat like you're in the O.K. Corral?

And finally, accidents aren't on the list, because that's not the purpose of the chart. There are other charts for that.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
1) I never specifically referenced "mass shootings", because statistically they're insignificant. So I don't know why you think you're rebutting this.
2) I'm very familiar with the wikipedia gun-death chart you posted. There's nothing in the chart that contradicts (in the least) anything I said.
3) Posting that chart is very deceptive and misleading, which is why I didn't. Here are a few things to note:
- it starts at 1999, when it's already low. Go back to 1980 and then see how it looks.
- It's a raw data chart, it's not adjusted for per-capita population. If it was, you'd see it slope down to the right, and the bump at the end would be smaller.
- If it were adjusted properly, it would show that 2014 was an all-time low (just as I stated). After then, as the economy improves, gun deaths go up. If you bothered to look at long-term trends, you'd see this often.
- as I stated, suicide rates increased twice as much as homicide rates, so that's the more significant contributor.
4) I did acknowledge that gun deaths are up, so I don't know exactly what you're debating.
I never specifically referenced you or your post. So I don't know why you think I'm rebutting you, or why you're rebutting me. Let us neither butt nor rebut each other, kay?

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
More people die by faulty hospital actions daily is what I heard the other day. Still, the numbers are stacked towards young white men perpetrating these killings. The video games are a piece to me. Fear of a changing usa/world, the ease of weapons attainment and some faulty logic perhaps. I don't see any of this changing. The media at large eat this up because it's easy content for them. But it should still be covered no?

Reactions: Aaron