WTD 2010 Week 1 - Radio Margaritaville

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Week 1 of WTD 2010! Let's start it off with some Summertime Music :)

BlobServer

Kick the weekend off right! Escape to Margaritaville. Parrotheads, your ship has come in. From multi-platinum singer, songwriter and author Jimmy Buffett comes a radio paradise of great music, live broadcasts of Buffett’s concerts and other unique programs.

BlobServer

JIMMY BUFFETT ‘UNDER THE BIG TOP’
Radio Margaritaville will broadcast every Jimmy Buffett concert from his upcoming North American tour live. The first concert in the “Under the Big Top Tour†will air live on Saturday, April 24 in Tampa, Florida.

Before the concert, Jimmy Buffett takes over the Radio Margaritaville microphone and talks backstage with Coral Reefer Band members. It's very spontaneous, even raucous at times--don't miss it!

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...:bigthumbup:

Sirius Channel 31/XM Channel 55

radiomargaritaville.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I came across Radio Margaritaville via my Wunder Radio Application the other day. Seems this station is streamed on the Internet by Jimmy Buffet even beyond them being on Sirius XM. I didn't know that. It has been a while since I listened and usually when I do I enjoy the mix.

My favorite thing though are the live concerts, those are great.

This was a good one to start with. I give it 5 stars all the way!

Thanks to Aaron and Semi for heading this up again for DRC, you guys always do a great job!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I love the channel! I just went to Jimmy's concert this past Monday. It was cool for me to record it on the XM MyFi then listened to it at work later in the week.

The DJ's make it about the music and NOT THEM. A great variety of music.

It is a good channel for me to listen to while in a traffic jam. It seems to calm me down. :cool:

5 of 5 stars, no doubt.

I have not listened to 70's on 7 for an extended amont of time for awhile but will this week to do the other review.

Reactions: semipenguin

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I came across Radio Margaritaville via my Wunder Radio Application the other day. Seems this station is streamed on the Internet by Jimmy Buffet even beyond them being on Sirius XM. I didn't know that. It has been a while since I listened and usually when I do I enjoy the mix.

It actually started as an Internet station before going to Sirius. Not many people know that and for good reason. Who would have thought he would have an Internet radio station.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It actually started as an Internet station before going to Sirius. Not many people know that and for good reason. Who would have thought he would have an Internet radio station.

Wow, thanks for the info. I truly had no idea. Yeah, I think he would likely have done that for fans. Jimmy Buffet is all about the fans.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
It started in 98 if I remember correctly. I do know it is the first internet station to go mainstream. He broke a lot of barriers with that station.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I always feel this is one of those channels I'd enjoy more while outside putting food on the grill, or in a restaurant, than in the car. A pretty good mix of the familiar and the unfamiliar. All the songs seem to have a pretty good vibe.

Went to Jimmy's restaurant in New Orleans a couple of years ago... Good stuff!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I am not a Jimmy Buffett fan. Just haven't gotten into the music or the whole parrothead thing.

But I did enjoy my listen over the weekend. It was a great mix of music with DJ's that do a really good job. It was like 50% Country, 50% Reggae, and 50% Adult Contemporary :right:

I will try and keep this channel as a preset. Something I can come back to when I want to unwind :)

4 out of 5 Stars :cool:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I know, I'm a little late to the party, but I've been in Margaritaville... :p

I remember listening a few years ago before I had satrad.

I always feel this is one of those channels I'd enjoy more while outside putting food on the grill, or in a restaurant, than in the car. A pretty good mix of the familiar and the unfamiliar. All the songs seem to have a pretty good vibe.
I had it on a few weeks ago for my BBQ, very nice.

Ok, I have to say upfront that I am a Parrotthead. Radio Margaritaville was one of the reasons I subscribed to Sirius (before it was SiriusXM). I like that they now play more of Kenny chesney and Zac Brown band. I could go on, but I don't want to put anyone asleep. 5 stars!

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
There is a concert tonight if anybody cares. It is in Camden, NJ. I was supposed to go but I had to travel work work instead.

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: Jimmy Buffet influences & friends. Some vacation music.

Positives: Rather eclectic and deeper cuts from artists that aren't JUST Jimmy Buffet. I also did enjoy the focus on songs that Jimmy performed with other artists; the stable of other famous singers and backup singers he performs with has a lot of talent in it. The availability of a live concert virtually every day to those who want it. The DJs are very laid back and under pronounced so no problems like with other channels where they say things just to say them even if they don't fit

Negatives: I'll disclaimer that I've never been able to really get into Jimmy Buffet; I tried as best as I could not to let that drive my opinion of the channel.

The unevenness of the artist plays bothers me. I can understand playing one Jimmy Buffet song and then 4 or 5 of another artist then back to Jimmy, or playing a couple of Jimmy songs in a row then going to other artists; but when you play one Jimmy song, one from another artist, then back to Jimmy again, that just screams SHUFFLE to me....or This is Jimmy's channel so we need to squeeze in # of songs an hour from him.

Also despite him having an extensive catalogue, I heard a few songs from him multiple times in few days/few hours of listening. Although they were different versions of the song each time (album version, live version)

Blastability: I surprisingly found the volume turned up higher than I anticipated on more than a few occasions.

Overall: The MySXM version of this channel has the "Less Jimmy" option so I'm likely to reach for that more likely than the broadcast version. I will kinda miss the DJs because they all have that "just smoked a bowl before i opened the mic" quality to them that I often enjoy when I listen to beach radio stations....one of the guys says Margaritaville really awkwardly.

I'll then hopefully get to enjoy more of the funk-infused songs (some that I did hear on my prior 70s listen surprisingly), Bob Marley songs that you usually don't hear on the radio, and strange raggae covers of popular songs instead of having to change the channel cause a 3 hour Jimmy Buffet concert (which mind you is of good quality) is on.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
These are great reviews Squigy0!
I've never really had much so a desire to tune this station in, till now.
I like the idea of the Less Jimmy slider. I think that would keep me on the channel a little longer.