WTD 2010 Week 1 - '70s on 7

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
BlobServer

Break out the bell bottoms and lava lamp! Hear pop, rock, soul and disco hits. The decade that brought you Watergate, Pop Rocks and a lot of polyester. Totally super!

Hots Songs and Hot Stuff Memorial Weekend
Friday 5/28 @ 5 pm - Tuesday 6/1 @ 3 am ET
Drop the top, fill the cooler and fire up the grill — it’s Memorial Day Weekend! The unofficial start to summer, and we’ve got some Hot Songs and Hot Stuff planned for you. We’ll heat up our playlist with ‘70s artists and songs relating to all things hot or summer. And we’ll load up on the music of our favorite summer girl, Donna Summer! The party starts on Friday afternoon at 5 pm ET ... cold brew anyone?

Sirius 7/XM 7

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...
:ter:

70son7.gif

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The '70s channel has always been one of my top 5 most listened to channels.
A wide variety of music... the good, the bad, and the ugly :icon_eek: that was the music of the 1970's. I like the DJ's and the Jukebox of Cheese.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Its my #3 preset. Always a nice blend of 70s music. Wish they played some of my favourites which are MIA and the AT40s seem to be mostly centered around 1970-1975 but other than that, good station. 4 stars.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
It is a feel good channel for sure. When we stay at a beach house with others every year, they always request 70's on 7. Although, last year I got them to like the BRIDGE and will throw in some Radio Margaritaville for a good mix this year.

I am not sure it is me but the sound quality does not seem as good as the other channels.

I will give this channel 4 of 5 stars because they have the Amerian Top 40 with Casey Kasem. :buttrock:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
'70s music is NOT my favorite music. I was born in 1970 so this is the music I had to listen to when I was growing up. Living in Los Angeles as a kid I got to listen to KIIS FM all the time.

I've been listening to this channel in the mornings. Up until 11am ET. Magic Matt Alan does a great job DJing. The selection of music is great. Everything from R&B to Rock to Disco to Pop to Country.

Despite the music, I have to give this channel a 5 out of 5 :cool:

I won't be making this a preset. '80s on 8 is already a preset. All I have to do is move the dial down on notch to listen to '70s music :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is one of my favorites on Sirius XM. I does get a bit predictable at times and if you listen to it a lot well I find it repetitive. This was a great decade for music in my opinion, I in fact like it a bit better than the '80s.

I do think Sirius could keep the playlist a bit fresher but doing my adds and take aways. Still I give it 4 stars just because so much of the music I grew up listening too.

Oh one other comment, the programmers seem to have a few favorite artist that they play a bit too much if you get my drift! LOL

Thanks to all the other reviewers, good job!

Demio

Feb 28, 2010
My number 7 reset :) . Not something that I listen to every day, but seeing that it's on one of my presets I do love it when I tune in .

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
70's on 7

When I go camping, this is the channel all my friends request to listen to. They love it! (all except one does not have satellite radio) I have been listening more lately due to this.

MyFi with Delphi Premium boombox plugged into a Power Pack 400. I do have 3 sets of rechargable batteries for this also.

CampA081211.jpg

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
While waiting for the next party channel to be posted, I figured I'd catch up on some old Walk The Dog posts since I missed most of these the first time.

Sounds: The 70s (duh)

Positives: This channel is definitely very representative of the styles of music that were popular in the 70s (classic rock, smarmy pop ballads, disco).

Negatives: It seems to just be surface representations because 85% of what was heard was songs I can already hear on Classic Vinyl, The Bridge, and somewhat on The Blend.

Also, more noticeably, the DJs are just NOT GOOD! I don't know if this is how 70s radio was (I was born in 1978 so I missed out on all of that) but the cheezy singing over the song, and quick comment about something going on in pop culture (current pop culture which seems a little out of place amongst 70s songs, no silence allowed, you have to use the instrumental intro of the song or you just can't talk) just doesn't really do it for me.

Blastability: Very Low, mostly because this music is dated and I'm not sure I want people seeing me rocking out to it. There are some guilty pleasures of course.

Overall: This channel represents much of what always bothered me about Sirius representations: Voicetracking ad nauseum (does only Spyder Harrison anchor this whole channel, just changing his name every 6 hours?), inane banter that just doesn't belong, and not enough "oh wow" moments when a song is played that was high on the charts in the 70s, but just never made it through to still be in heavy modern day rotation.

I could probably MySXM this channel and have a really enjoyable experience with infinitely less of the negatives described above.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Its good to see these old dogs are still getting some use!

I'll hit this station from time to time, but being born in the late 60's I've heard a lot of these songs enough that I don't really crave them. I'll give it 20-30 minutes every month or so though.

Sent from Tapatalk.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
This is the first song I think of when you talk blastability of '70s music :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRIHmWJC3w]Can't Get Enough - Bad Company - YouTube[/ame]