WTD 2009 Week 31 - '50s on 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
A time trip to the to the music and the era that marked the birth of rock 'n' roll reflecting the excitement of the emerging styles of Rockabilly, Doo Wop, R&B and Pop to create a an authentic and fun sound.

What we play: Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Fats Domino, The Drifters, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, Ricky Nelson, The Platters.

Crusin' With Cousin Brucie
Live from 5 - 9 pm ET on Wednesdays
Rebroadcast Sunday 6 - 10 pm ET
Cousin Brucie is now on '50s on 5 as well as '60s on 6. Hear The Cuz play the greatest rock and roll songs from rock and roll's greatest era: the '50s!

Cool Bobby B's Doo-Wop Shop
Saturday 7 am ET
Rebroadcast Sunday 10 pmET
Bobby B spins the street corner with a cappella harmony known as doo-wop. You'll hear the essential sounds of early rock and roll on the hippest show on the radio.

Pink & Black Days
Saturday 11 pm ET
Memphis radio personality Alex Ward brings out the music, stories, and interviews with the personalities of the '50s Memphis music scene including Sam Philips and Rufus Thomas (among others).

Rockabilly Roadtrip
Saturday 10 - 11 pm ET
Rockabilly is a wonderful hybrid of country and western music mixed with the R&B that was first introduced to the nation by Elvis Presley's earliest Sun recordings. Host Bruce Berenson travels the highways of America during the Rockabilly Roadtrip to bring you local varieties of rockabilly by established stars and lesser known journeymen (and women). Hop in and buckle up!

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
No '50s music fans here?? :idunno:

In my opinion, this is the most improved channel since the merger. Sirius Gold, before the merger, kept a fairly tight playlist. They had also removed alot of the programs and DJ's from the channel.

The '50s on 5 now gives us a bigger selection of songs, as well as artists. I also like the programs listed in the above post. I'm glad they offer shows like the Doo Wop Shop and Rockabilly Roadtrip.

Though the music is before my time, I've been listening to oldies radio my whole life, and this is the best it has ever sounded to me. I probably listen to this one more than the '60s channel even. 5 stars.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
Ah, 50's on 5, the music of my parents..... ;)

I have listened sporadically this week. I heard some songs I like, some songs I haven't heard in awhile, and some I have never heard, none of them bad. With decade channels and playing hits and "lost classics" from the decade, it seems to play to the people who grew up in said decade (which is why I have 80's and 90's as a preset). So not being a child of the 50's, I don't have an attachment to the music, just a few songs that I like. I'm giving it 4 stars.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
This channel still seems the same to me pre-merger. Music from the '50s and early '60s. This is the first time I've listened since the merger. I really like the music. It does seem to have a wider playlist :)

I just like the '60s more. That doesn't mean this isn't a great channel because it is, and I'm happy they have it around :D

4 out of 5 Stars :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.