WTD 2009 Week 21 - Mandatory Metallica

Status
Not open for further replies.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008

LIQUID METAL BECOMES MANDATORY METALLICA

Mandatory Metallica is taking over Liquid Metal for a month starting March 14 (and lasting through April 13). The channel will air Metallica music 24/7, including songs from their recent release, Death Magnetic, which debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 last year, and was certified platinum in less than three weeks. The channel will also feature interviews with Metallica guitarist and singer James Hetfield, drummer Lars Ulrich, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Robert Trujillo. Liquid Metal will return to the SIRIUS XM airwaves after Mandatory Metallica’s month long stint.

This is the last week of Mandatory Metallica. Please review and rate...:)

Genres

* Heavy Metal!

Artists You'll Hear

* Um, Metallica?...:scratch:

Sirius Channel 27/XM Channel 42

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...:band2:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
Ah, another single artist channel, the bane of some. As far as single artist takeovers, this is one I can go with. I have listening to it pretty regularly for the past 2 weeks, and loving every minute of it. Will I be sad to see it go? No, it was nice to "pig out" on it like turkey on Thanksgiving, but there will still be "leftovers" on the other channel. I would give it 4 stars, but since someone gave it one star(s) without writing a review, I went for the full five.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I am not for the extended single-artist channels, but this was one I listened to more than all other music channels, combined. The duration could have been a bit shorter, but shows that a rotating single-artist channel (or two) would suffice where each is given a month if they have a large selection of music and less time when a newer band. The pink floyd and R.E.M. weeks were long enough, giving me a reason to listen in more during their week.

Didn't give it five since I believe that they could have done a bit more programming - play some of the full concerts from 'livemetallica.com' and play some of their European influences from the late 70s/early 80s that are not heard much (some of those covered in the "garage" releases). I would think that the guys in the band could have provided a nice list of influential artists from early in their career.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I tried to listen to this channel. I have tried several times. I just can't find any Metallica songs I like (they may exist --- they just haven't been playing when I have been trying to listen).

Also, I have a generic pre-disposition to dislike single artist channels. They would need to really blow me away to impress me. This one does not.

I listened to it some time ago and finally got around to writing my review. I did gave it 1 star. It was not mean to be a drive by 1 star.

For what its worth, my son-in-law loves this channel. But he is a huge Metallica fan. But since he is not the one Walking The Dog ... my rating stands.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
This was my first week listening to Mandatory Metallica. My first time really ever listening to any Metallica, besides "Enter Sandman". I like their sound more than I thought I would, but I guess I'm not really a metal fan. Not a fan of single artist channels either, so I give this one 2 stars.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I would give it 4 stars, but since someone gave it one star(s) without writing a review, I went for the full five.

I did gave it 1 star. It was not mean to be a drive by 1 star.

A drive-by rating? That's a new one... :p I guess after a comment made in last week's WTD about rating a channel without listening got me going. Glad you came back and put your two cents worth in.

Last edited by a moderator:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A drive-by rating? That's a new one... :p I guess after a comment made in last week's WTD about rating a channel without listening got me going. Glad you came back and put your two cents worth in.

I rated it and was going to write my review but got distracted and kind forgot about it for a few days. I finally got back to it. :)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I don't listen to Metallica like I used to when I was younger. They really have some good music, but I'm not into them anymore...:worried:

I do think it's silly for SiriusXM to give them an entire month, but it's soon coming to an end. The channel is programmed nicely. I listened last night for a couple if hours. The rare concert songs where cool. Other then that, nothing else special...:right:

I give it 3 out of 5 Stars...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.