WTD 2009 Week 20 - Real Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Swinging jazz from the 1920’s to today featuring the giants of jazz while also presenting a platform for the next generation of artists who keep this artform thriving in the 21st century.

What we play: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Getz, Count Basie, Art Blakey, Wynton Marsalis, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk.

The Blue Note Hour with Bruce Lundvall
Fridays 6 pm ET
Rebroadcast Sundays 9 am ET and Tuesdays Midnight ET
The Blue Note Hour, hosted by Bruce Lundvall, the president of Blue Note Records is a celebration of the sound that has defined classic jazz for more than 65 years.

A Night At Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola
Friday 8 pm ET
Sunday 4 pm ET
Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola jumps all year round with the hottest talent in jazz at Frederick P. Rose Hall, home to Jazz at Lincoln Center in NYC.

Live From Jazz At Lincoln Center
Saturdays 8 pm ET
Real Jazz takes you live weekly to the "House of Swing" as Wynton Marsalis leads the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra through its 21st concert season.

Beyond Jazz
Sundays 5 pm ET
Each week, Beyond Jazz will broadcast the roots of modern jazz music featuring the legendary musicians who 30 years ago were trying to change the very definition of the music’s form.

French Quarter
Sundays 11 pm ET
Take a rollicking journey through the soul of New Orleans with two hours of traditional New Orleans jazz music.

On Sirius 72, XM 70.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Excellent channel. Although I'm not much of a Swing Jazz fan, this stuff is nice to listen to sometimes. The music is relaxing and is great background music...:)

They have really good programming on this channel. Although I know nothing of what I'm listening to, it seems they play a very good selection...:D

5 out of 5 Stars...:cool:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I've enjoyed my time with this channel more than I remember from the previous editions of WTD. (Then, it was Pure Jazz). The only negative I can say about Real Jazz was that I didn't like it as much in the car. But playing in the house as background music, I thought it was great.

This is really supposed to be one of my presets. Except I use it every week for a WTD channel. :icon_eek:

I plan to make a habit of listning to "French Quarter" every Sunday night. That was some good stuff I heard last Sunday.

skyward

Apr 11, 2009
New York, New York
:Smiley_wink: One of the main reasons for my getting XM was the Real Jazz channel. Generally at home and driving I listen to WBGO a local PBS FM station, to which I am also a contributor, dedicated to jazz. When I leave the NY/NJ area I can no longer hear the station so I decided to get XM in early 2006. Now when I drive up to Canada I get to hear the great sounds I've grown accustom to. I am old enough to have heard, seen and met many of the jazz greats played on XM 70. Long Live XM 70. :bigthumbup:

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
:Smiley_wink: One of the main reasons for my getting XM was the Real Jazz channel. Generally at home and driving I listen to WBGO a local PBS FM station, to which I am also a contributor, dedicated to jazz. When I leave the NY/NJ area I can no longer hear the station so I decided to get XM in early 2006. Now when I drive up to Canada I get to hear the great sounds I've grown accustom to. I am old enough to have heard, seen and met many of the jazz greats played on XM 70. Long Live XM 70. :bigthumbup:

Thanks for the channel review, and :welcome: to DRC!

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Already on the presets.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I do like to tune into this channel from time-to-time. Makes great background music.

4 out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.