WTD 2009 Week 19 - '60s on 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
BlobServer

A flashback to the sounds and sensations of the time when music evolved from 'soft' to 'real.' The channel reflects the energy, emotion and the excitement that sparked the music revolution. The combination of top sixties hits with strong image branding and top name announcers who provide a combination of humor, surprises and attitude that relate to the listeners lifestyle and outlook make for the authentic sound of the Sixties.

Genres

*Beach Songs
*British Invasion
*Folk, Woodstock
*Motown

Artists You'll Hear

* Beatles
* Beach Boys
* Mamas and the Papas
* Creedence Clearwater Revival
* Supremes
* Association
* Four Tops
* Neil Diamond
* Four Seasons
* Marvin Gaye

Sirius Channel 6/XM Channel 6

60son6.gif

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...:peace:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
This has always been the best programmed decade channel, with a little from the vault, hits, good djs, and great music, I give it 5 stars...

Not a fan of Brucie though...

Reactions: semipenguin

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It used to be so much better, with a much larger playlist (1800 songs vs about 600 now), it is better than terrestrial but you still get far too much repetition, and many big hits simply are not played. When I pay for sat radio I want something "above and beyond am & fm" this channel used to do exactly that- it barely does now. When I hear a 60s hit repeated up to 3 times in a day, that is poor programming- out of the 1000s of oldies that charted in the 60s, there is no excuse for repeats in a day. Even Sirius used to have a policy 4 years ago, no repeats in a 36 hour time frame- get back to that please!!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I usually listen to this 0 % of the time unless my TUNE SELECT takes me there. I have enjoyed this channel today and guess did not realize the good tunes from this decade. I will find time from now on to listen.

4 of 5 stars :cool:

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
There's a McDonalds near me that always has 60s on 6 playing. Until WTD, I'd only listened long enough to eat my Big Mac. I've listened a bit more tonight and it's pretty much what I had expected. Standard M.O. for a SXM decades channel. I've listened for a bit more than an hour so far this afternoon and I've recognized just about every song played. To me, this channel as well as the other decade channels sound too much like they're programmed by a consulting firm. I'll give it three stars because I like the way the channel "feels" but it won't get much of my listening time. Way too predictable and vanilla.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I love '60s music... some of the best music ever made. The 60's channel has been my A6 preset since I got Sirius in 2004. Having said that, I don't really listen very often to it. As Joe pointed out, the playlist would need to be greatly expanded. I feel like I've listened to all these songs thousands of times over the years and that is what keeps me from tuning in alot of the time.

Still there's no denying the strength of the songs. 4 stars.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I am the exact same way, I have it as a preset but rarely listen to it, I was even thinking about putting it on the chopping block. Anyway, I guess it's programmed the same as the other decade channels, with that nostalgic factor of songs you remember and love. They used to have a 15 minute block of surf music every afternoon that I would record, but they quit, so I dunno if that was a summer thing. I give it 3 stars.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I am the exact same way, I have it as a preset but rarely listen to it, I was even thinking about putting it on the chopping block. Anyway, I guess it's programmed the same as the other decade channels, with that nostalgic factor of songs you remember and love. They used to have a 15 minute block of surf music every afternoon that I would record, but they quit, so I dunno if that was a summer thing. I give it 3 stars.

They used to have "Wax My Woody," but then the merger came, and I haven't seen it since. It basically dug up all these obscure, in the vault, I didn't even know that song existed, type of songs. Surf music is still one of the craziest genres ever to come out of music... :icon_cool:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I grew up listening to KRTH out of Los Angeles. Great Oldies Station. But I've heard more '60s songs on '60s on 6 then I ever did on KRTH. I've been listening to this channel since around Nov. 2003, and I'm always hearing songs I've never heard. Just today I heard Donna The Prima Donna, by Dion, for the very first time...:shock:

This is my favorite Decade channel. It used to be '80s on 8 until Heidi left XM...:worried:

I miss when they would ring the Beatle Bell. It sucks that they don't do that anymore, although it seems like they play at least one Beatles song once an hour. I can dig that. I can't remember hearing the '60s on 6 countdown today...:scratch:

I will listen more this weekend, but I didn't notice too much repetition today. '60s Vibrations was nice, but '60s on 6 was better. It's nice to know Cousin Brucie is still on SiriusXM...:)

I give it 5 out of 5 Stars...:cool:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Big time. But the truckers love everyone...;)

LOL, very true.

Here is another show where a lot of the calls are from truckers. (sorry off topic)

XM and SIRIUS 99 2pm-6pm est. seven days a week. :ter:

Afternoon Advice with Tiffany Granath

Only the minds at Playboy could produce this advice show, unlike anything else on the airwaves. A rotating panel of sex experts takes your calls and may just take you in a direction you never considered. Everything from interpreting sexy dreams to reading star charts will be used to show different sides of callers' sexuality. Hosted by Playboy TV star Tiffany Granath.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Still too much in the way of repeats and not going deep enough. Better than a couple of months ago, but they rarely play any hit that didnt crack the top 10. Go to the 50s and 70s channels and they play much deeper chartwise.

deedee

Oct 16, 2008
New York, New York
Still too much in the way of repeats and not going deep enough. Better than a couple of months ago, but they rarely play any hit that didnt crack the top 10. Go to the 50s and 70s channels and they play much deeper chartwise.

I totally agree with you "why" of all the places you would think Sirius would be the one with the best of a play list - I just emailed them about one of my favorite stations because you can just about know what is going to come on next, when I first tried this station I fell in love with it no other station came close ( just my option ) it's really not fare to their customers whatever they prefer...

Joe you were the first person to answer my question "what happened to Bob Thomas" ? After they let "TJ" go I have never gone back to channel ( 5 ) which is why I became a customer

Sorry I just got a little carried away I'll get off of my :soapbox: for now, but I do what you to know that I really appreciated your info on Bob Thomas to me was also one very good "DJ"

deedee

Oct 16, 2008
New York, New York
Just where do I begin to say "I'm so sorry Aaron & AZJoe"

First for messing up Aaron's "Walk The Dog" with reference to channel ( 6 ) and then putting it under Joe's post :tapedshut:

I was going from one topic to another and I thought I was in the music section I have never been to "Walk The Dog" and I have a feeling I won't be missed if I don't come back

Wow I just went on and on about nothing to do with channel ( 6 )

Please have a good :rofl2: on me

Once again so sorry for messing up your post

Status
Not open for further replies.