WTD 2009 Week 12 - Lithium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Lithium is rooted in the music that re-charged rock with the explosion of “grunge†that was centered around the vibrant Seattle music scene in the late '80s and into the '90s. The channel is artist driven but plays many of the songs that modernized the sound of rock during the '90s.. From big guitar chords and noisy feedback, to the quirkier pop appeal of acoustic based singer/songwriters as well as industrial rock and nu-metal, this channel is the soundtrack of Lollapalooza's past as well as Lillith Fair – so put on your Doc Martens and your flannel and get ready to rock!

We play Pearl Jam, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Alice In Chains, The Offspring, Stone Temple Pilots, Weezer, Nirvana and many more.

Channel 24 on Sirius, 54 on XM.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

channel-24.gif

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
First off, I was a die hard Lucy fan. It was my favourite XM station. I was very upset that Bill Hutton was not retained as PD. I also hated the pre-merger Lithium. I rarely listened since it played way to much grunge and seemed like a completely boring station.

After Nov 12th, I did not listen to the new Lithium well into January (aside from the 1 minute I heard after Lucy died). It was a painful as a Lucy fan.

I have been listening over the past couple of weeks. I like the channel (although I feel guilty for doing so). It plays more alternative songs and less grunge (although it is still present).

I guiltily give it 4 stars. I would have given Lucy 5 and the old Lithium 1.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
This station is probably my number 3 favorite station.

It brought me back to the days when I lived in Seattle and saw these bands play live (when Lithium was more a Grunge station).

I still enjoy it now. I listened last weekend it was great.

Go Lithium. :churn:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Most of the music I like on there is on the 90s on 9 anyways, so for me the channel is somewhat useless.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
First off, I was a die hard Lucy fan. It was my favourite XM station. I was very upset that Bill Hutton was not retained as PD. I also hated the pre-merger Lithium. I rarely listened since it played way to much grunge and seemed like a completely boring station.

After Nov 12th, I did not listen to the new Lithium well into January (aside from the 1 minute I heard after Lucy died). It was a painful as a Lucy fan.

I have been listening over the past couple of weeks. I like the channel (although I feel guilty for doing so). It plays more alternative songs and less grunge (although it is still present).

I guiltily give it 4 stars. I would have given Lucy 5 and the old Lithium 1.

Very well said, although I only give it 3 of 5 stars. I like the channel but only somewhat. Lithium is a more upbeat channel than LUCY but that is the only advantage. I usually only listen when my TUNESELCT takes me to XM54.

Petition to bring back Lucy on XM-54 - Signatures ;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: 90s Alternative. Some grunge

Positives: It's Lucy, but with some grunge added in that Lucy never played, and it's UNCENSORED!!!

Negatives: I listened over a few days over the weekend and noticed repetition of songs I'd already heard in the same order that I heard them EXCEPT with 1-5 songs inserted in between them to mix things up a bit. There's a LOT of 90s alternative and grunge out there to prevent this kind of thing from happening

Blastability: Very High. I grew up with this stuff!

Overall: Improvements have been made on the Lucy concept with added grunge and no censorship so I'll definitely be coming by this channel more often

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I enjoy the alternative '90's grunge music and it one of my favorite presets. I give it 4 stars.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I never heard Lucy, so I can't comment on the Lucy influence on this channel. But, it seems they play a more diverse lineup on Lithium than before the merger. That's gotta be a good thing, right?

I'm not the biggest fan of 90's music, but this channel has managed to keep a preset since they first introduced it a couple years ago. I probably listen to the 90's on 9 a bit more than Lithium now, but it's still a good channel worth one of my presets.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
it seems they play a more diverse lineup on Lithium than before the merger. That's gotta be a good thing, right?

Actually I prefered it pre-merger when the channel was almost completely dedicated to the grunge genre of music. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, but there ya go.

The Lithium of old and the now-defunct Lucy sound like they were two different kinds of channels (from what I hear...I never had XM so can't comment on Lucy first-hand). I wish they would have kept Lithium the way it was and kept Lucy as well after the merger. But oh well. I guess it sounds like I'm complaining, but this is actually still my favorite music channel on SiriusXM. It currently occupies my B1 preset.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Actually I prefered it pre-merger when the channel was almost completely dedicated to the grunge genre of music. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, but there ya go.

The Lithium of old and the now-defunct Lucy sound like they were two different kinds of channels (from what I hear...I never had XM so can't comment on Lucy first-hand). I wish they would have kept Lithium the way it was and kept Lucy as well after the merger. But oh well. I guess it sounds like I'm complaining, but this is actually still my favorite music channel on SiriusXM. It currently occupies my B1 preset.

The Lithium/Lucy and Fred/1st Wave mergers were really mergers of dissimular channels which had simular description on paper. You know the people deciding which channels got merged probably didn't even listen to either.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I rarely listen to this channel, but I like the music and the format. It's a great mix of alternative music from the '90s. This was my favorite music from this time period...:)

5 out of 5 Stars...:D

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I like Lithium for the most part. I remember when they first started it on Sirius and everyone was "wow, how could this genre ever be missing on the service." Anyway back in the 90's when the wife and I spent way too much time at the local watering hole we would hear a bunch of these songs on the jukebox. Some of it isn't my favorite (yeah I'm talking to you Pearl Jam), but for some reason I still like listening to it every once in a while.

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
That makes two of us!

I was very disappointed the first time I heard the Goo Goo Dolls, Tonic, Matchbox Twenty, and so on added to the play list. Rage Against the Machine followed by The Cranberries. I heard "My Woman" by White Town twice just after the format merge and I wanted to throw my Starmate off of the Skyway bridge. The change hurt my feelings pretty badly at first.

That being said, I still listen quite a bit and there are a lot of songs that I do love. I feel that there are some songs better suited for 90s on 9 (I'm looking at you "3 AM") but it's not realistic to expect to love every song on a play list. I'd say that I've adjusted to the change and Lithium has retained it's preset. Three stars.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The problem with "90's alternative" is that there's really TWO different styles of music here.

There's the grunge of the early years, such as Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog (which is really a hybrid/supergroup), Red Hot Chilli Peppers kinda not really, and whatever groups i'm missing.

Then you get into the late 90's alternative, such as Matchbox 20, maybe some Lenny Kravitz, Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, Tonic, Blind Melon, Cake, Hole, and the others.

In an ideal world, they should be two seperate channels, but we gotta live with what we have.

At least they're not playing Seal anymore, although I did hear "Drive" by Incubus on here around 7:30 PM ET today. (WTF? That song came out in 2001.)

I do like the fact that there are no DJs here, and I like that some songs now have year of release included on the scroll.

This channel has had it's problems like the above, and the whole logo fracas, but it's good music.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I listened to this one for a bit last night at work. It's alright.

Not preset-worthy, but I'll be sure to drop by when I feel like listening to something outside of my presets.

Silent Jesus

Feb 9, 2009
www.kingbubba.com
I dig the station from time to time. Grew up to most of that stuff. Although I prefer it to 90's on 9 (which plays more pop and r&b from the 90's as well), I still find that the station misses out on a lot of good stuff. Also, grunge technically started in the 80's and didn't find a voice until the 90's... so if you only play the 90's stuff on Lithium, you are cutting out a lot of good, early grunge.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I agree with alot of guys. Lithium was the best music channels on Sirius before the merger. All this BS about "Diversification, and deeper playlists is just a bunch of crap" The beauty of satellite radio is that there are enough channels to provide niche programming for all different tastes. Like was said before when you merge channels that really aren't the same, nobody is happier with the channel, everyone is more dissatisfied. I still like the channel somewhat, but I don't listen for very long because for every song they play I like, they play 4 that I can't stand, and don't belong on the channel. Lithium welcome to 90's on 9 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.