WTD 2009 Week 11 - Backspin

Status
Not open for further replies.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Put on your Adidas and your Kangol hat and join the party—you'll hear nothing but the early days of Hip-Hop.*

Artists You'll Hear

* Grandmaster Flash
* Run-DMC
* Sugar Hill Gang
* Salt-N-Pepa
* LL Cool J
* NWA
* Notorious B.I.G.
* Vanilla Ice
* Beastie Boys

Sirius Channel 39/XM Channel 65

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...

backspin.jpg

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I'm not usually a big fan of rap/hip-hop but this channel brings me back to my school days and has a good mix. A lot of fun, several "oh god I remember that" moments!

5 stars! Glad to see this one back!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You had me right up till Vanilla Ice. . . . but I'll give it the old college try.
There are some great bands from my youth that I haven't paid my respects to in a while.

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
First of all, I'm thrilled that this format came back! This was always a pre-merger favorite of mine and I'm liking the integrated play list even better. There's definitely a few more deep tracks than before which really helped to round out the channel nicely. I can put Backspin on and listen for long periods of time without wanting to change the channel and it's always a favorite when I have friends in the car. There's a pretty wide array of artists and styles represented here too. You'll get songs from "Ice Ice Baby" to "I used to love H.E.R." by Common and lots in between and beyond. From corny to deep, it's all good in my book. Four Stars!:yesshake:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't know about this one... I don't really care for this sort of music (I skipped The Heat on WTD), but I will give it a shot after I try out Faction, because it was a channel that was taken away and brought back.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Glad they decided to bring this channel back. I'm not that into the '80's rap, but the Death Row/Bad Boy stuff of the '90's...well I grew up on that shit bitch. Yes...me, a white, middle-upper class kid living in the suburbs growing up on 2pac and Biggie! Hey, I wasn't the only one.

RyanSirius

Oct 11, 2008
Great to have it back, but this is a little bit early to WTD on it. Mixshows are transitioning over to it from HHN. I want to give it more time, wait and see which shows come over, how the playlist improves when they start investing more into it, and take it from there.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I listened to it yesterday for awhile. I'm not a huge fan of rap, I do have a few tracks hiding in my music playlist, and the channel seemed to have a good mix of old school. I'll keep it in mind and catch once in awhile, but I won't make a preset. Three stars

cldoobie

Jan 17, 2009
SW Ohio
In my 2 years as a Sirius sub I've never once heard Vanilla Ice on this channel and it's my #2 preset. Great channel, I was contemplating canceling but now that it's back I'm a happy customer.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm not usually a big fan of rap/hip-hop but this channel brings me back to my school days and has a good mix. A lot of fun, several "oh god I remember that" moments!
Same for me. I'm glad that Backspin is back. I gave it the preset it occupied before they took it off. A fun channel I especially enjoy on Friday nights and weekends.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Excellent channel. Reminds me of my younger days when I was in high school and in the Marine Corps...:)

The songs are great. They play a great mix of 80s and 90s Rap and Hip Hop. I only put Vanilla Ice in the channel description to see what kind of reaction we'd get...:shock:...:)

5 out of 5 Stars. If I could only figure out how to preset this channel on my XMP3, I'd make it one...:confused:

:)

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
Great channel for those those of us that grew up in the late 80's and early 90's. Ton of 'blast from the past' songs that I had simply forgotten about.

Since it's return from the Sirius chopping block I've noticed they have expanded the play list and it now includes a bit more from the 90's, which is great. The older stuff is good, but the original backspin seemed to have a few heavy hitters that got way over played to the exclusion of some of the newer stuff. It would drive me crazy to hear Apache and a few others 5-6 times in the same day on the old station.

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: Old-school hip hop

Positives: A genre definitely not covered on regular radio. Some classic forgotten gems on this station

Negatives: Imaging on the station needs some work. I went right from Faction to this station, and thought I hadn't changed the station for a second because it had the same high energy action sports punch when the station IDs came on.

Blastability: High

Overall: I'm still on the fence about the Siriusization of this station so I didn't post this in the Negatives, but the station's not as obscure as it used to be when it was The Rhyme. There are definitely more hits thrown in which I tended to change the station for because they're grossly overplayed

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I enjoy some old school hip-hip, but never really listen to the channel often. So I give it 3 stars.

calvino

Feb 5, 2009
many moons ago my friends up here in canada started getting sirius ( before sirius canada) just had to give a fake usa address , and i listened to the tunes backspin was on of my favs .. so time goes on i decide to buy a radio and now sirius canada is up and running . i get the canadian programing mostly the same but no backspin errr furrrk. .... but after some more moons canada sirius starts playing backspin good stuff ... but i lose it again once the merger happended eeerrr double furrrk . hey all is not lost they put it back on ....thankyou...
and now i hope to hear more live mixing ... my backspin rant!

ChaseMe

Jan 20, 2009
I'm in Canada and station 39 is POP2K. I can't find backspin anywhere on the dial. What's going on here?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I'm in Canada and station 39 is POP2K. I can't find backspin anywhere on the dial. What's going on here?

Which service do you have?...:scratch:

Have you checked the R&B section?...:right:

I hope you can find it. It's a good channel...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
POP2K is no longer. Your tuned into the backspin channel, they just haven't done an update to fix the channel name yet. My radios still show channel 39 as pop2k also. I can live with it for now, maybe in the next round of updates they'll get to fixing it on them (and the logos/id's on the SL2 for a number of channels... but don't want to get to far off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.