WTD 2009 Week 10 - Willie's Place

Discussion in 'WTD Archives' started by Aaron, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Willie Nelson is the proprietor of this authentic, old-time Texas honky-tonk, broadcasting live each day from the “Willie’s Place†truck stop in Carl’s Corner, Texas. The nickel jukebox is always stocked with vintage honky-tonk, western swing, and downhome country music, generally from the mid-‘60s and earlier.

What we play: Willie Nelson, Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys, Ray Price, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, Hank Thompson, George Jones, Marty Robbins.

Sirius channel 64, XM channel 13

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

[​IMG]

2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I enjoy some Willie Nelson songs, but not much into old Country music. So I give it 2.5 stars, wouldn't say it a bad station!

3. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I probably have some Uncle's that would love this station. Jimmy Buffet has a little bit of this flavor in his music and I'm still a Jimmy Buffet fan. If this channel was being played at a party, I would sing along. But otherwise, I would be listening to something else.

:siriusdog:

4. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I like Willie Nelson, but this channel isn't really my cup of tea.

I'll be sure to drop by now and then when I feel like listening to something different.

*** (Average)

[EDIT: Also starting to feel the same way for the other Country channel from Walk The Dog that I added to my presets, so I removed it]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Not a big fan of most classic country, but for the few times I am in that kind of mood this channel is well programmed with a good mix of the big names and those I've never heard of.

3 stars

6. down4six

down4six Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure why I didn't listen sooner. I guess I thought it was going to be more of the "out there" artists. But I have heard Mary Robbins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and tons of the old country classics. Not only is it 5 stars and a preset, but I am re-arranging my presets to give it a proper place. :bigthumbup:

7. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I just listened for about a half an hour and agree with the above statement.

When my mother visits, she loves to listen to this along with Road House which I prefer over Willie's Place.

8. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I can definitely tell that Willie's Place is different than Roadhouse through my experiences listening during Walk the Dog. But I don't know enough about country music to be able to say what those differences are... Are they covering different time periods? A different set of artists? I don't know. :idunno:

The DJ's here seem cool, but country is just not my thing.

9. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are from different time periods. Willie's is from mid-60's and before that.

Here is how Roadhouse is advertised on XM:

The Roadhouse is THE place for the classic sound of REAL country music, featuring timeless recordings from the country legends and Hall of Fame members from the mid-60s to the mid-80s.

10. squigy0

squigy0 Member

Sounds: Classic and some new Texas country

Positives: You do hear a few songs and artists on this channel that you would've heard on X Country, but then a lot of older country with some rock roots that you don't hear on regular radio

Negatives: DJs definitely take the lowest common denominator, talking in old hillbilly drawls and doing the phony opening and pouring a beer for you sound effects

Blastability: Medium. It does sometimes get too twangy for my taste

Overall: Good channel for what it's meant to do

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I listened to this channel in the early morning a couple of times last week. I thought it was really cool. They played all sorts of good, country music. Most of which I've never heard, although some I had...:)

I must say, this is stuff you'll not find on any FM channel in any major city. This is the stuff you'll hear on AM Stations in the middle of West Virginia...:D

Excellent channel...:)

5 out of 5 Starts...:cool:

12. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Yeah, it's a good channel to visit when you feel like listening to something apart from the usual (at least that's the way I see it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.