WTD 2008 Week 7 - The Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The Loft explores the sonic connections between a wide range of styles and subjects in a masterful, hand-crafted fashion. Presented by passionate, knowledgeable hosts that merge Alt-Country with AOR, singers and songwriters with AAA and concentrate on the long-lost art of the segue, blending virtually every musical shade in between.

What we play: Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash, Ryan Adams, Van Morrison, Damien Rice and literally thousands more!

Lots of special programming... see website for more details.

Channel 29 on Sirius, 50 on XM.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

channel-29.gif

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I haven't been listening to The Loft much anymore, but it is one of my other presets. But when I have enjoy it when it first came onto Sirius, to it sounds like the The Coffee House channel somewhat. But I still tune it every now and then.

I give it 3 stars.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Sounds good so far. It's a great playlist for those that are feeling adventurous and want to try out new kinds of music. The guy on the station even said himself that the channel is being formed from the different kinds of music that were on former SIRIUS channels, so I have a good feeling about this one.

I give 4 stars and a preset. :bigthumbup:

Reactions: Aaron

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The woman that's DJing right now sounds a lot like Madison...:shock:

The music on this channel sounds the same as Sirius XMU...:right:
Posted via Mobile Device

TacoKid

Oct 27, 2008
Euless, TX
www.twitter.com
My problem with The Loft is not really the Loft itself but that it has been called an alternative to Sirius Disorder.

It ain't no Sirius Disorder.........

I tried to listen to it soon after the merge but it did nothing for me.

BUT in the spirit of Walk The Dog, I will listen again today, one more time and see if it has improved at all in the last month.

TacoKid

Oct 27, 2008
Euless, TX
www.twitter.com
I listened for about 40 minutes earlier. The play list didn't make me want to turn away and then I realized, it was Megless Griffin doing her thing. Disorder style!

Again, I want to like The Loft so I am going to continue to give it a try.

Not to keep harping on Disorder but the cool thing about that station was you could go from a rock song to an alt-country son to a classical son right into a hip hop song.

I loved it.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
What we play: Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash, Ryan Adams, Van Morrison, Damien Rice
Kind of misleading... made me think it might be another lite classic rocker like The Bridge
and literally thousands more!
That's more accurate, a big playlist. Kind of a cross between Disorder, which I liked, and Coffeehouse, which I have never liked.

I gave The Loft the preset that used to belong to The Strobe. January 15, The Loft will lose its preset back to The Strobe.

Megless Griffin is cool!

A weak 3 stars for me for The Loft.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I was a big fan of Sirius Disorder and I know they have moved many of the DJ's to The Loft, but it certainly isn't Disorder.

However, I think the Loft is going to have to find its own wings and create it own path. I have enjoyed the channel when I've listened. In the last couple of weeks I've tried to be more opened minded and quit trying to hope it would just be a Disorder Clone. Once I did this I sort of got a little more in tune with the channel.

I still think this channel is working to find its way and I gave it 3 stars. It has potential though and so that is a strong 3 stars for me!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I really like this channel, but I don't think that I'll make it a preset. Only because I'm adding too many channels to my preset, and at this rate, I'll run out of presets...:shock:

The DJ's are nice. I didn't listen to Disorder too much before, so it's nice to get to know them, now. Plus this channel kinda reminds me of SiriusXMU. I know that's kinda silly, but it has that college radio feel to it...:right:

If I decide to remove a preset (Pop2K, 20 on 20...:rolleyes:), then I may make room for The Loft. I give it 4 out of 5 Stars...:)

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I'm really liking it too. A few soft tunes from the ladies and the guys picking up the beat. Somewhat different then when it used to be on XM. I use to rent a loft. I kind've miss it.
I don't think you can compare the Loft vs the Coffeehouse anymore. They are not even close to sounding alike.

:siriusdog:

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I'm enjoying this channel a lot more than I expected I would! A perfect mix for the morning after partying on new year's eve. If you don't find yourself tapping your foot along with the beat of at least one of these songs, then there's something wrong :)

3/5 stars

Road Hog

Nov 9, 2008
Massachusetts
My favorite parts are those that were brought over from Disorder, namely Meg Griffin and Vin Scelsa's free-form radio.

Although this is not as good as Disorder, it does have its own personality that is enjoyable. They include a lot of live tracks recorded at XM studios - I like that.

This channel occupies a space somewhere between Disorder, Coffeehouse, and the Bridge.

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: Adult Alternative

Positives: Goes very deep with unknown artists and tracks. DJs have the perfect delivery and provide some good information. Going into the XM archives to pick out some great live performances

Negatives: DJs get a little chatty. I also agree with others' assessment that the channel is still looking for its identity after the merger

Blastability: Pretty high

Overall: I've only ever listened to The Loft in passing. To the occasional listener, you could never tell the difference between The Loft and XM Cafe so I may be off in saying that since XM Cafe was replaced, The Loft is trying to be a little bit more like XM Cafe playing a lot of newer unknown artists and not as many older established artists. Only time will tell.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The Legacy Of Les Paul

Today 2:00 pm ET (August 22)
We’re paying tribute to the late, great Les Paul with interview clips from Les and testimonials by SIRIUS XM personalities. The special will be centered not only Les’ brilliant musicianship, but the fact that he invented the solid body electric guitar and multi-track recording. (1 hr)

Rebroadcast: Tomorrow 8:00 am ET; Mon 8/24 1:00 pm ET

SIRIUS Satellite Radio - The Loft

BlobServer

Status
Not open for further replies.