WTD 2008 Week 2 - Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Easy instrumental and vocal favorites and the great popular melodies of the last sixty years from Henry Mancini, Neil Diamond, and many more.

Artists You'll Hear: Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, Chet Atkins, Anne Murray, Neil Diamond, Percy Faith

Channel 28 on XM, 76 on Sirius

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

Last edited:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm at work and have been listening to it so far and I like it. Like Spa, it is a great station to listen to when you feel like relaxing (or unwinding).

I will definitely listen to this station again... That makes 2 new presets so far discovered from WTD.

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
I listened for a while but never really got into it. Just a little to "easy listening" for me i guess...

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
So far, Escape's the only XM station on my presets.

If I get tired of the rock channels or if I need to chill, this is my station.

As a kid growing up in northern Michigan in the 1980's, my grandparents would listen to WMBN 96.3 out of Petoskey, which played this music. They loved it, but I hated it since it was considered "old people's music". However, in 1990, they flipped to AC as "Lite 96", which they remain to this day, and they became pissed.

I guess the reason why the format died on terrestrial radio - save for a small-town station here and there - was because its audience died and the youngin's didn't want to listen to the music their grandparents listened to. However, I guess it's now OK to appreciate it since it takes me back to a time of innocence...

Reactions: Aaron

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This has always been a genre of music missing from Sirius. I am glad that it is finally available. I do miss Moving EZ, though I have been able to get that sort of music elsewhere as of now. Still I enjoy Escape and find it very relaxing. We use it at the office some days and I also tend to listen to it when I am working on a project. I have also used it as a channel for going to sleep.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I've found Escape to be an interesting listen at the office. I was hoping (as were others) that this would somehow replace Moving Easy. But it is just not the case. It's really a throwback to the old EZ Listening stations many of us "older folks" remember (WPAT, WRFM, WTFM, WVNJ here in the NY area). All you need are longer pauses between songs and a guy with a syrupy voice. I have flashbacks to the long rides in the back seat my grandparents' car.

I realize this is a different format, but I would have hoped to hear more vocals in the mix. Sort of a combo of the old school "Lite A/C" stations like Moving Easy, and what Escape is today. There are just too many instrumentals for me to keep this on for any meaningful length of time. It ends up being background noise to me, and I usually prefer something more uptempo like smooth jazz for that.

It's not a bad addition to Sirius, but I'd rather have Moving Easy back.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I think my friend Aaron said it best about Escape...

Some people used to say that Movin' EZ sounded like elevator music.
Escape really IS elevator music!

:shock:

I like this channel. The first time I heard it I made it a preset. I'm going to keep it a preset, too...:)

I'm not hip on this kind of music. I just know it's a good channel for getting away from the ordinary. Where you can here mellow versions of good songs.

I keep seeing names show up over and over again when it comes to composers. Names like Fox and Hackett. Makes me wonder if I could start my own business starting my own mellow music band...:right:

I give it 4 out of 5 starts...:)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Elevator music at its finest! ;)

Actually, I'm liking Escape so far, and am glad to have it... Just don't pass it off as a Movin' EZ substitute!

It's okay as background music, but I don't like it as much in the car while driving.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I miss Movin' Easy as well, but once Escape started on Sirius. I started enjoying the new channel and made it a preset on day 1. I usually listen to the channel on the weekends for some nice relaxing music.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My father-in-law plays this station to the exclusion of all else. Its as if this channel is satellite radio to him.

It is a wonderfly programmed station but definatly is not a MovingEZ or Bridge substitute. To me it is elevator music. Unfortunatly, it is unavailable in elevators due to poor reception.

Not much my taste and will not retain a preset.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
This is not a put down but I sometimes turn this on upon going to sleep. I set the MyFi on the SLEEP TIMER for 45 minutes and I am asleep before that. :yesshake:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'm going to keep it a preset, too...:)

Oh, no you don't. All we need is you falling asleep at the wheel and plunging off a cliff. More than normal, I mean. :p

My wife's grandmother had a station that played this genre tuned in on a clock radio in her bathroom that would come on when you switched on the light. So I associate it with taking a big crap in an old lady's house.

And that is why I was fired from the Sirius Marketing Department. :p

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
My wife's grandmother had a station that played this genre tuned in on a clock radio in her bathroom that would come on when you switched on the light. So I associate it with taking a big crap in an old lady's house.

And that is why I was fired from the Sirius Marketing Department. :p

That just made my day. :hah:

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: symphony pop, instrumentals/elevator music, light favorites

Positives: Very impressive presentation. They keep the channel generally quiet and laid back, leaving subtle pauses between songs and station IDs, which are also of a comfortable volume

Negatives: I'm not qualified enough to rate on this cause this isn't my type of music

Blastability: Low. 1) Because the channel's supposed to be peaceful 2) Because I'm not sure I want people in other cars hearing me listening to this :)

Overall: I would swear that some of the songs being played were karaoke versions because there were background singers but no lead vocals

Road Hog

Nov 9, 2008
Massachusetts
I remember hearing FM stations like this back when I was a kid. If my stepfather were still alive he would listen to this one (and the 40s on 4). I think this channel has the wrong name - they should have just come straight out and called it The Elevator. Why be ashamed of what it is? It's a genre that deserves a space on satellite radio. It's the place to turn to when hearing the original (with vocals) version of "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" isn't quite watered down enough.

I won't be making this one a preset, and I doubt I'll visit again until we do another round of Walk the Dog, but it was strangely mesmorizing. I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word, but it was not offensive to me. I can see why people like it, but it's not for me.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
I like it. Four stars and a preset.

It fills a niche that wasn't previously available on Sirius.

I wouldn't want to listen to it all day or night, but it's great when you just want to relax for an hour or two.

I agree with limegrass69 that they should throw more vocals into the mix. IMO, vocals should make up one third of the programming.

Add more vocal legends of the 40's through 60's singing relaxing tunes, minus Frank Sinatra, who has his own channel. Throw in some of the "forgotten legends" of that same era, along with a few of the best easy listening/adult contemporary singers of today.

Do that, and I'll give it five stars.

Last edited:

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
All around, very beautiful music. Always one of my favorites from xm. Great for early summer time lemonade or country picnic. Not good for the office as people would feel it is being crammed down their throats by stuffy executives and would not fully appreciate the quality of the sound.

:siriusdog:

Status
Not open for further replies.