WTD 2008 Week 1 - 90's on 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I listened at work today and it's alright. Not my bag, really. I was into grunge and the dying days of pre-mainstream alternative in the 90s, not the pop scene. And I think '90s pop generally sucked relative to '80s pop anyway.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
While I do like 90's music in general (as with a lot of other genres), I tend to agree with the others that 80's pop music was a lot better than the 90's.

I would even say that the 80's was the last decade of good pop music. :yesshake:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
While I do like 90's music in general (as with a lot of other genres), I tend to agree with the others that 80's pop music was a lot better than the 90's.

I would even say that the 80's was the last decade of good pop music. :yesshake:

There were still pop BANDS in the 80s. You could be a rock and roll band and have a top 40 hit. Now, pop is just hip-hop and R&B with an occasional quasi-alternative poser band like Maroon 7 or Matchbox 20 thrown in.

Springsteen could never have a pop hit in 2008.

awax

Nov 9, 2008
Edmond, Ok
I'm not really a fan of 90s music and much prefer the 70s when it comes to decades programming. But on my long trek to work this morning I had this channel on and heard many songs I had completely forgotten about--some them I really liked. It will not be a preset, but more than likey I'll occassionaly tune it back in.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
Is there anyone interested in this description??

Grunge, pop, R&B, rap, and techno with Mariah Carey, Green Day, more.

Wow... there's something there for everyone to hate. Why would anyone that likes Green Day want to hear Mariah Carey??

Because she was huge in the 90's. This is what drove me crazy about Sirius decades they played the exact same stuff as the rock channels. I have been enjoying the decade channels since the merge and glad XM took them over.

Plus if they just want to hear Green Day only go to Lithium.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I am really enjoying this channel. For some reason, I really did not tune it in on XM, but I seem to find it more listenable on the merged platform.

Yes, there is a bit of overlap with The Pulse, but they seem to have moved The Pulse in a more current direction.

My only "complaint" is that in the 90s (and to a certain extent the late 80s), music to my ears became much more fragmented. Before this era (mid 80s and prior), hits were hits. You had some rock based hits, but many of the rock hits that did chart well ended up being sort of watered down pop (a song like Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" or many of the hair band hits come to mind). But they were generally liked (or tolerated) by all and were considered mainstream. You had harder rock and urban, etc. but they were more fringe formats.

Once you hit the late 80s/early 90s, hit radio began fragmenting with pop/rhythmic CHRs and rock leaning CHRs coming into fashion. It was pretty hard to segue from Pearl Jam into a Janet Jackson hit. And people who were into Pearl Jam tended to not like Janet Jackson. It was a tough time for programmers.

So, my point is that a 90s channel is not an easy thing. If you are going to be a true decades channel, you need to play it all. That means Pearl Jam and Janet Jackson side-by-side. It also means a higher turn off factor. Time spent listening to an 80s or 70s channel will be higher because in those decades, most people were either into the hits, or they weren't. Those who weren't would be more likely to tune to something like First Wave or Classic Vinyl, etc.

Reactions: Aaron

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
It was a nice visit. Like others, the channel name was misleading to me. Even when it was annouced the Beatles Breakfast program was going to be on there, I was asking myself why the Beatles would be on this channel and I almost checked it out. But being spun around with all the music merger issues, I never did. It's nice to know there is a British Invasion type channel out there. I liked Sandie Shaw, the Who, the Kinks and such. And the newer music is ok. I will listen from time to time.
Now, back to Watercolors.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It was a nice visit. Like others, the channel name was misleading to me. Even when it was annouced the Beatles Breakfast program was going to be on there, I was asking myself why the Beatles would be on this channel and I almost checked it out. But being spun around with all the music merger issues, I never did. It's nice to know there is a British Invasion type channel out there. I liked Sandie Shaw, the Who, the Kinks and such. And the newer music is ok. I will listen from time to time.
Now, back to Watercolors.

That's pretty eclectic for a 90s channel...:scratch:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I went to 90s on 9 today to do the Walk the Dog. The song on the station was "Bye Bye Bye" by NSync. I rember why I hated most mainstream radio in that decade. The 90s channel has served its purpose. So thats exactly where I went ... bye bye.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
All I really listened to back in the 90's was classic rock radio, so I wasn't expecting to know too much on the 90's on 9. Surprise, Surprise... I know a lot of the songs here, and actually like some of them. I could do without the boy band music however! A definite preset for me, replacing The Pulse.

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
All I really listened to back in the 90's was classic rock radio, so I wasn't expecting to know too much on the 90's on 9. Surprise, Surprise... I know a lot of the songs here, and actually like some of them. I could do without the boy band music however! A definite preset for me, replacing The Pulse.

I agree...I was surprised to learn how many of these songs i know

HarleyJoel

Oct 28, 2008
New Jersey Coast
Love em or hate em, the 90s hits are part of music history, and this decade channel for Sirius was long, long overdue!:)
Sirius subscribers have been complaining about not having a 90's only channel for years. Now that it's getting close to the next decade you think it would have come sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.