Wow, I can't believe it...

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
First I get an iPhone...

Now tonight, I got a Mac.

I'm officially going straight to hell, to burn with Evil Ernie.

PS: SISO, I have switched loyalty to Google as well. I must be going insane in my old age.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I just built the following machine for $1000:

3.0 GHz, dual core processor
4 GB DDR2 RAM
896 MB video card
24 inch, 1080P LCD monitor

Now show me an apple that compares to that for $1000.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I just built the following machine for $1000:

3.0 GHz, dual core processor
4 GB DDR2 RAM
896 MB video card
24 inch, 1080P LCD monitor

Now show me an apple that compares to that for $1000.

But that $1000 didn't buy you that Apple sense of superiority because your GUI is really pretty.

:)

That $1000 might have bought you an Apple LCD though...

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
But that $1000 didn't buy you that Apple sense of superiority because your GUI is really pretty.

:)

That $1000 might have bought you an Apple LCD though...

I just looked up a roughly comparable desktop from Apple... $4,048.00, plus shipping. That's some expensive sense of superiority. What kind of idiot would pay $4000 for a computer that you can build for $1000????? Oh yea, the same people that don't mind paying $6 for a cup of sh*tty Starbucks coffee.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I just looked up a roughly comparable desktop from Apple... $2499, plus shipping. That's some expensive sense of superiority.

Don't forget the additional $80 or so for a copy of VMWare, and another couple hundred bucks for the copy of Windows you'd need to make the Mac really useful!

(don't get me wrong, Apple makes very nice machines, but they aren't at all superior to PCs as their owners would have you believe)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Oooh, time to rag on Apple!

I saw a Mac ad recently. They're selling it because it doesn't need security patches to guard against viruses. Which is good, until you realize that's only true because it's about 10% of the market, and if enough people obey the ad, it will need security patches to guard against viruses.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Oooh, time to rag on Apple!

I saw a Mac ad recently. They're selling it because it doesn't need security patches to guard against viruses. Which is good, until you realize that's only true because it's about 10% of the market, and if enough people obey the ad, it will need security patches to guard against viruses.

I don't think there is much to bag on Apple about except maybe their price. They make really nice computers, but charge a hefty premium for the privilege of making yourself feel hip (per their commercials). After owning a number if iPods and playing with my wife's iPhone I have come to appreciate their high quality user interfaces and overall product quality.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I don't think there is much to bag on Apple about except maybe their price. They make really nice computers, but charge a hefty premium for the privilege of making yourself feel hip (per their commercials). After owning a number if iPods and playing with my wife's iPhone I have come to appreciate their high quality user interfaces and overall product quality.

I think it's deceptive to claim your platform is better because it isn't the prime target of hackers, when that's purely a function of market share.

And I'm really unhappy with my only Apple product, my iPod. I use it only because the xB comes with an interface to control it from the steering wheel. It has one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen, is crippled by DRM-based design decisions, and locks up far too often.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Don't forget the additional $80 or so for a copy of VMWare, and another couple hundred bucks for the copy of Windows you'd need to make the Mac really useful!

(don't get me wrong, Apple makes very nice machines, but they aren't at all superior to PCs as their owners would have you believe)

You quoted me before the edit... it's actually $4,000 for a computer equivalent to the one I built for $1000.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.

That's about my opinion. I used to use Apple exclusively back in the late 90's because I liked the OS and, at the time, Apple and PCs were not all that far apart in price. These days, there's no way I can justify paying the difference.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
First I get an iPhone...

Now tonight, I got a Mac.

I'm officially going straight to hell, to burn with Evil Ernie.

PS: SISO, I have switched loyalty to Google as well. I must be going insane in my old age.

You are now officially cool. :D

Screw all the Apple haters!! :p

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I just looked up a roughly comparable desktop from Apple... $4,048.00, plus shipping. That's some expensive sense of superiority. What kind of idiot would pay $4000 for a computer that you can build for $1000????? Oh yea, the same people that don't mind paying $6 for a cup of sh*tty Starbucks coffee.

You didn't look at the iMac - only about $2200.

It's not all about the superiority - it's about having a computing environment that we don't have to fight with constantly. It can be compared to what kind of car you drive. It's not just about the parts, it's about the entire driving experience.

I'll gladly pay more to work in an environment that I find friendly and enjoyable, since I'm sitting here behind this monitor for 8+ hours a day (longer if you count the goofing off I do at home, too).

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
WTG Ryan!! Finally!! Welcome to the right side!!! The Redmond's hold on you has been broken at last!!! Enjoy!!

(4 macs & 2 windows pc for me):)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It's not all about the superiority - it's about having a computing environment that we don't have to fight with constantly. It can be compared to what kind of car you drive. It's not just about the parts, it's about the entire driving experience.

I'll gladly pay more to work in an environment that I find friendly and enjoyable, since I'm sitting here behind this monitor for 8+ hours a day (longer if you count the goofing off I do at home, too).

And some people will pay $2,000 per foot for speaker wire, and swear they can hear a difference. Those of us who won't have a word for those people, and often say there's one born every minute. :)