Would you pay for Premium SIR in Canada?

leth

Jan 4, 2009
Southern Ontario
Just curious, how many people (if any) are on a Canadian subscription and would pay the price for Premium streaming radio?

I realize that most people who want Premium end up going through a US sub. I thought about doing that (infact I'm still kind of debating to cancel my Canada sub and going to US sub), however with the exchange rate it's actually a bit cheaper for me to stick with Canada (although not by much). Also I got the 3-months-free deal with their Christmas offer (not sure if US was doing the same thing, although it's too late now), so at this point I'm not sure if it's worth loosing those 3 months (and my activation fee, and any cancellation fee) just to gain Premium. Also I heard the US company is cracking down on Canadian subs (checking CC #'s against addresses, rejecting ".ca" e-mail addresses, re-routing phone numbers if calling from Canada), so that kind of made me think twice about it. And what's to say some day they don't start blocking Canadian IP's from their streaming site (just like Slacker and other US-only content sites do)

I don't get why the Canadian company won't offer it, along with all the other packages they have in the US. After all, we're the 51st state :D

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
That's strange... I've never heard of SIRIUS cracking down on Canadian grey-market subs. I was under the impression that SIRIUS doesn't really give a shit. :confused:

As for Premium SIR. Yes, it's worth it. I called to cancel earlier this morning (long story), and after thinking things through I immediately called them up and told them "I just had a change of heart". :p

No worries, the previous CS rep I talked to apparently didn't change a single thing anyways. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Also I heard the US company is cracking down on Canadian subs (checking CC #'s against addresses, rejecting ".ca" e-mail addresses, re-routing phone numbers if calling from Canada), so that kind of made me think twice about it. And what's to say some day they don't start blocking Canadian IP's from their streaming site (just like Slacker and other US-only content sites do)

I think that they could certainly block IP's within Canada, but as far as them cracking down on Canadians with US account, I don't think they really care. I still say they would have been better off never doing the Canadian deal and just allowing the black market to build itself.

Anyway... I don't buy this supposed crackdown.

mickk

Mar 8, 2009
well if they still offered the current stream for free i would stick with that. but if they didn't offer a free net stream i think i would give in sense i can only listen to Sirius when in my car.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
If they had offered premium in Canada, I wouldn't have done a US lifetime. I wanted premium internet on my SL2.