Worst era of the Stern Show: AJ Benza

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I forgot how much of a douchebag AJ Benza was on the show (and off). His time was even worse than the "seat-filler" era, at least there were some funny jokes in there once in a while... I'm not the biggest Donald Trump fan, but I was glad to hear him giving AJ shit.

I remember how happy I was when he took that cheap shot at John and got kicked loose.

:pokey:

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I'm with you on that one. The only positive thing AJ did for the show was punch Stuttering John, thus causing his own dismissal. The fact that his fist cuffed Baba Booey on its way to John was also a bonus.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
And it was such a stupid thing to get worked up over. Of course all the calls getting thru are negative - everyone hates you.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
I haven't heard the whole day, but I caught AJ arguing with The Donald this morning and I'm sure that fight with Stuttering John must be in this special somewhere...

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
The AJ segment was full of suck in my opinion.

Amen! I thought the fight was annoying when it happened (I couldn't stand AJ or Trump). Then, they ran it into the ground by constantly repeating the show every time they had a vacation. When I turned on the show this morning and heard this segment, I immediately turned to something else.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
I think they were trying to man up a little and AJ seemed to be something of a tough guy and he had a little notoriety in the "I'm famous for being famous" nightlife/club scene. Turned out to be a little bitch tho...

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
AJ was horrible.

All of the members on the show have a great sef depreciating sense of humor and AJ just felt he was WAY TOO COOL for all of that.

He really was bad and I did love the Stuttering John punch because I knew he'd have to go home.

Funny how they send him home but let Artie get in TWO fights, throw a cd case and a bottle of water, all while either on Herion or detoxing from heroin, and stay on the show.

Great stuff.

Blitz71

Oct 12, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
www.myspace.com
whats crazy is, why would howard even consider putting aj on the show permanently? he's not even a comedian or a writer.
I never understood that either.

I think they were trying to man up a little and AJ seemed to be something of a tough guy and he had a little notoriety in the "I'm famous for being famous" nightlife/club scene. Turned out to be a little bitch tho...

He was a pseudo tough guy. He wanted to seem "Mobish" in my opinion. I think he was a tabloid writer or something like that too. Manly!!

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I never understood that either.

He was a pseudo tough guy. He wanted to seem "Mobish" in my opinion. I think he was a tabloid writer or something like that too. Manly!!

He was a gossip lolumnist, and he had an E! connection, in that he hosted The Gossip Show and Mysteries and Scandals on E!. Since Howard was deep into E! in those days, AJ was probably in because of cross promotion (and he lived in NYC). After M&S went off the air, AJ got a chance to sit in the Jackie Chair with the rest of the flotsam and jetsam that appeared in those days.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I forgot how much of a douchebag AJ Benza was on the show (and off). His time was even worse than the "seat-filler" era, at least there were some funny jokes in there once in a while... I'm not the biggest Donald Trump fan, but I was glad to hear him giving AJ shit.

I remember how happy I was when he took that cheap shot at John and got kicked loose.

:pokey:

AJ was a part of the seat filler era, so it was ALL bad. If I had to pinpoint something more than even AJ (who was the worst of the seat fillers by far) it would be the Zimmerman emails.

I was almost thinking that the reason that they got rid of AJ during the John fight had more to do with his performance than anything else! Artie got away with doing similar shit twice!
Howard having him on the show to sit in more than once was a case of terrible judgement. I know it's his show, but he was really "challenging" the audience that with that bullshit....It's Stern, not Fellini!

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I'm with you on that one. The only positive thing AJ did for the show was punch Stuttering John, thus causing his own dismissal. The fact that his fist cuffed Baba Booey on its way to John was also a bonus.

BTW, one of John's finest moments. The phone calls were funny (it was even funnier when he started laughing when he was discovered). Sorry, you balding guido, but if you can't take ball busting on the Howard Stern show, get the fuck out!

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
He was a gossip lolumnist, and he had an E! connection, in that he hosted The Gossip Show and Mysteries and Scandals on E!. Since Howard was deep into E! in those days, AJ was probably in because of cross promotion (and he lived in NYC). After M&S went off the air, AJ got a chance to sit in the Jackie Chair with the rest of the flotsam and jetsam that appeared in those days.

At the time of being a seat filler, AJ was almost done with E! (and effectively the entertainment business period) because he had a live show kind of like "Chelsea Lately" (only, shockingly, unfunnier...if that's a word). The thing that pissed off AJ was that John called in to goof on him about the show being canceled (actually, John might have guessed correctly that it was canceled since it was not official).