World Baseball Classic

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
With all this steroid nonsense that has been dominating the baseball world lately, it'll be refreshing to have some ACTUAL baseball to talk about. The second WBC will get underway on March 5th when the first round begins. The Final is March 23rd at Dodger Stadium. The United States is in Pool C and their first game will be on the 7th against Canada (2:00 on ESPN). Japan won the first WBC back in 2006 and Daisuke Matzusaka, now of the Red Sox, won the MVP.

How closely will you pay attention and follow the games? The WBC isn't that big of a deal here in the US, but in other countries like the Dominican Republic, it's more important than the MLB season.

Here's a link to the United States roster - World Baseball Classic: United States: Rosters

After battling through an injury last year, I'm hoping Roy Oswalt manages to get through the Classic without reaggravating anything.

Last edited:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have heard the US players are taking this more serious this year as in not trying to hit the ball out of the park each at bat. With Davey Johnson managing, he will stress "small ball" and handle the pitching staff well.

I look forward to it and will try to watch as often as possible.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
A lot of big name players are pulling out of the WBC...Scott Kazmir, Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, and Albert Pujols. And Ryan Ludwick declined an invitation to play for the U.S. today since manager Davey Johnson would not guarantee him a starting role. Johnson is going with an outfield of Grady Sizemore, Ryan Braun, and Brad Hawpe.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
A lot of big name players are pulling out of the WBC...Scott Kazmir, Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, and Albert Pujols. And Ryan Ludwick declined an invitation to play for the U.S. today since manager Davey Johnson would not guarantee him a starting role. Johnson is going with an outfield of Grady Sizemore, Ryan Braun, and Brad Hawpe.

Gotta love a TEAM PLAYER. :rolleyes:

Davey is out to win.

I am partial to Dave because he lead my Reds to their last playoff appearance in 1995. :eek:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Gotta love a TEAM PLAYER. :rolleyes:

Well it's understandable. Instead of riding the bench during the WBC for two weeks, getting only the occasional plate appearance, Ludwick would rather get quality at-bats at spring training in preparation of the MLB season.

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
I'm just happy to get baseball going again. I'll probably watch some of the WBC, but not too much. Spring training games start tomorrow!!!:buttrock:

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I know I can watch all the WBC games on my computer with my MLB TV subscription. Does anyone know if XM wil be carrying audio of the games as well for when I'm in the car?

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I know I can watch all the WBC games on my computer with my MLB TV subscription. Does anyone know if XM wil be carrying audio of the games as well for when I'm in the car?

XM did the broadcasts three years ago but I see nothing on their website at the moment.

Just an FYI that Adam Dunn was recently added to the USA roster.

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Wbc

I'm glad to see baseball again on the small screen. I have DTV and the sports pack, so I've been able to see my MINNESOTA TWINS against the Red Sox on NESN a couple of times already. I'll be checking out the WBC as much as I can. Its kind of a nice deal at this time of year. Hope no one gets hurt!! I see A-Rod is playing for Dominican this time instead of USA. Also the manager of the Dominican team is none other than Felipe Alou!

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
It looks like no WBC on XM this time...bandwidth issues, I guess...or they couldn't get permission, one of the two. I guess I'll have to watch/listen on MLB.TV/ESPN.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Presented by Team USA, the top 10 reasons to watch the World Baseball Classic...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXBpTrFFtM]YouTube - Top Ten Reasons To Watch The World Baseball Classic[/ame]

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Exciting game yesterday against the Canadiens. That Putz tried his best to blow it but Team USA was able to hold on. Up next, Venezuela tonight at 8:00 on ESPN. Oswalt gets the start

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3960985

mlb_u_oswalt1_sw_600.jpg