Woo Hoo! I got an iPhone!

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
I've wanted one for a long time and since I could upgrade for $99 I finally pulled the trigger tonight. Yes, I know that the 3Gs is faster, better camera, yada, yada, but considering that the phone I replaced was an older razr, the 8GB iPhone may as well be a friggin' star trek tri-chorder. I've already downloaded Pandora, Slacker, a public radio app, banking, news, and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't been this exited since I got my first cell phone back in '96. I've even made some phone calls with it!:rolleyes::smug:

Technology is a hell of a thing!:cool:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Welcome to the dark side. :p

Seriously, I'm enjoying the hell out of mine. And will get the 3GS when my discount comes up with AT&T in June '10. Maybe by then they'll have the 64GB phone out so I can put ALL my collection on it. They are fun little devices, though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There is nothing wrong with the 3G iPhone, so enjoy it! Congrats!

I know I have really enjoyed mine and in some ways I still feel a little lost as I was so use to having to carry multiple devices. It never fails when I leave in the morning with just my iPhone I feel as if I am leaving something.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
my 3g works great as a mobile internets streaming device. if only i could find some way to get t-mobile's 3g network to work with it...

however it must be the absolute worst device ever invented when trying to talk to someone else without a headset and microphone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
however it must be the absolute worst device ever invented when trying to talk to someone else without a headset and microphone.

What you talking about Willis?

I have no issues talking on my iPhone without a headset and microphone.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Does AT&T charge one flat fee for accessing the data on the internet? Does that mean when wi-fi isnt available you can use their 3G network to surf the web too? If you get the basic package which is 69 bucks or so, what are the normal taxes and fees that always are added on? Thx

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Does AT&T charge one flat fee for accessing the data on the internet? Does that mean when wi-fi isnt available you can use their 3G network to surf the web too? If you get the basic package which is 69 bucks or so, what are the normal taxes and fees that always are added on? Thx

The data plan is included with the voice plan, that brings it to about $69 (at least for my plan) along with my unlimited text plan, and extra $20. I may reduce that since I don't text nearly as much as I thought I would.

Where is 3G is available, it is as good as Wifi. I listen to Slacker in the car on 3G (hell, even EDGE sometimes) and it never misses a beat.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Joe, I have the 900 min plan with roll over, unlimited data, unlimited text

$59.99 for the plan
$30.00 unlimited data
$20.00 unlimited text
$109.09

Plus: (these amounts will vary depending on location and rates)

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge 0.85
Federal Universal Service Charge 2.18
Louisiana Universal Service 0.62

Local Wireless Surcharge 0.85
State Telecommunications Sales Tax 3.53

The data plan is unlimited, though from what I understand there is actually a 5GB cap. I used it for a full month very heavy use and never go above 1gb.

I don't think 3G is as good as Wifi, but it works very well compared to GPRS or Edge for sure! It is great always having connectivity!

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So if I use 3G to connect and surf the web, they arent charging me minutes? The minute allotment is only for telephone/voice use?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So if I use 3G to connect and surf the web, they arent charging me minutes? The minute allotment is only for telephone/voice use?

That is correct data and voice are two different things and are taken from different pools.

Also just so you'll know; Anytime minutes are used during normal daytime hours, if you call someone else who has AT&T it uses M2M minutes, if you call after normal daylight hours regards if this person has AT&T Wireless or not it comes out of N&W minutes.

The billing system looks for these things as to how to apply it against your use;

M2M (daytime)
N&W (after 9PM)
Anytime
Roll over

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
What you talking about Willis?

I have no issues talking on my iPhone without a headset and microphone.
i have tried 3 separate times to answer a call without it on 3 separate days. every time i couldn't hear the other person unless i switched on the speaker phone, and i really don't know if i could be heard on the other end either.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
i have tried 3 separate times to answer a call without it on 3 separate days. every time i couldn't hear the other person unless i switched on the speaker phone, and i really don't know if i could be heard on the other end either.

Sounds like you've got a defective phone! I use mine on the road all the time and here recently with the break in the heat, even talked with my windows rolled down. I could hear them and they could hear me just fine! I do not like ear pieces and would never have settled for a phone that required one to talk.

I think it should strike you as odd that you would not be able to talk on this thing without having an ear piece and mic! Time to take her in for a check-up! They'll kick the tires, change her oil and she'll be good to go.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Maybe you had it upside down :p Seriously, though, I have a Blitz that has a teeny little slit for the ear "hole" - If I don't hold it 'just so' next to my ear, I hear nothing at all. The iPhone strikes me as being similar since it has a similar styled ear speaker setup.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Does sound like a phone issue. Did you get the Applecare? If they determine it's hardware you get a new phone for no charge. I've turned in 2 already and got a brand new phone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado

That is part of the unlimited data plan so no, as long as you're under the alloted GB in the 'unlimited' plan (which is really easy to stay under) you're fine. And your talk minutes would come out of the voice plan. I have 450 minutes for talk which I have not even come close to in 5-6 months of owning the phone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have 450 minutes for talk which I have not even come close to in 5-6 months of owning the phone.

I would have already gone over if I had your plan, so I think one has to be realistic about how much they use their phone during normal business hours. Also if you use your phone for business purposes as I do, then that also requires more minutes. My point is just make sure if you are with another carrier now that you add up how many anytime minutes you are using and then look at how many folks you'll be calling which would fall under M2M and go from there. It is what I did and the 900 min plan matched me pretty close. I only gained a few roll over minutes this time, which means I am on the right plan. The last thing you want is to pay for overages!

One thing I discovered is that there were more people than I realized in my area on AT&T so my M2M talk time was higher than when my previous carrier, which helped out a lot.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What determines GB used on the data allocation? Time or amount of downloads/uploads? Could one listen to internet radio for an unlimited amt of time on their iphone? Thx

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What determines GB used on the data allocation? Time or amount of downloads/uploads? Could one listen to internet radio for an unlimited amt of time on their iphone? Thx

It is the actual amount of data transfered, time has nothing to do with it. Unlimited for AT&T also comes with a 5GB cap from what I understand. So, as long as you don't go over 5GB you'll be fine. I've listened to Sirius XM, Slacker and even Pandora a time or two and my data for the month was just a tad over 1GB. So it doesn't seem like it but 5GB is a good bit of data.