Windows XP EOL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They had tried to do it earlier, but got pushback from some large corporate customers...or so the story goes.
My workspace still has XP on its desktops.

Imagine the pushback when they try to retire Windows 7 and force everybody to that nightmare of 8.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Its about time. XP is soooo 2001. ;)

Before Hi Speed Internet was the standard.

Before Facebook. Before Twitter. Before Apps. Before Smartphones, really.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Yuuuup Got about 5-7 XP machines that might be retired soon.

It will make my job a little easier instead of constantly trying to remember stupid shortcuts when I try to walk a user through trying to find an answer over the phone.

Standardizing will make me happy.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
All our machines here are running XP. They've been upgraded to Office 2010 and new towers installed in the summer. Windows 7 is supposed to be the next step but haven't heard a date for that.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Hackers can't wait to exploit non savvy users who use abc123 for their password so they can steal and sell their sensitive data. I foresee websites and advertiser who will "fix" the security holes for a fee and either non deliver the so-called service or disappear like a .com when the tech bubble burst.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Windows 8.1 closes in on Vista among desktop OS users - CNET

So with XP support ending, the chatter is about how ATM's typically rely on it, and how banks aren't going to be ready to upgrade them all before updates won't be available. I think it was a fella from CNet that was on TV this morning with a chart of the percentage of MS systems in use. I was surprised how many XP's and 8's there were. XP because it's so old, and 8 because it's so.....8....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Windows 8.1 closes in on Vista among desktop OS users - CNET

So with XP support ending, the chatter is about how ATM's typically rely on it, and how banks aren't going to be ready to upgrade them all before updates won't be available. I think it was a fella from CNet that was on TV this morning with a chart of the percentage of MS systems in use. I was surprised how many XP's and 8's there were. XP because it's so old, and 8 because it's so.....8....

MacOS still almost nowhere. A bit surprised at the amount of people using windows 8.

Not surprised about XP. Most XP machines are old and won't take a new OS.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Wonder what they consider 'other'.

I'm actually surprised Mac OS is that low, with all the use it gets in Education and design you'd think it'd be a little higher. At least more than Vista.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I would take all of these numbers with a grain of salt. OSX probably has between 6% and 8% of the personal computer market.

But the "personal computer market" is growing less relevant every day as hardware diversifies and specializes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I would take all of these numbers with a grain of salt. OSX probably has between 6% and 8% of the personal computer market.

But the "personal computer market" is growing less relevant every day as hardware diversifies and specializes.
I don't think PCs are going away completely. There's still a lot more you can do on a PC that you can't do on a tablet. The desktop computer might be going away but laptops are going to be around a while, especially as their computing power increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
No, desktops and laptops won't disappear. But their numbers are declining while tablet numbers are growing rapidly. The battle between a Windows, OSX and Linux is becoming irrelevant as the battle between iOS and Android takes center stage.

ETA: Wait, Meme, what about Windows 8? It runs on tablets!

Yes, it runs on 1% of them. Maybe. Microsoft's confidence in future Win 8 tablet sales is best indicated by this week's release of Office for iPad. That's right, Microsoft is letting Apple take 30% off the top of it's cash cow. That's 30% just for letting Microsoft use Apple's store.

Last edited: