Windows Vista

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Not that bad. I just bought this Compaq yesterday from Wal-mart. I'm used to XP that I've had on my Gateway for the past 2 and a half years.

I guess time will tell. I guess I could have upgraded my old laptop because Vista came out not long after I got it, but I've been too cheap to buy the upgrade :p

I hope Windows 7 is good :)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm on my third week of dealing with Vista, and I really have no complaints so far. A few things have been an improvement for me over XP. There were also a few things I preferred about XP, but I must have found ways around it, because I can't remember what they were.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Not that bad. I just bought this Compaq yesterday from Wal-mart. I'm used to XP that I've had on my Gateway for the past 2 and a half years.

I guess time will tell. I guess I could have upgraded my old laptop because Vista came out not long after I got it, but I've been too cheap to buy the upgrade :p

I hope Windows 7 is good :)
congrats on your new toy, did you get the 299$ one they had?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I'm on my third week of dealing with Vista, and I really have no complaints so far. A few things have been an improvement for me over XP. There were also a few things I preferred about XP, but I must have found ways around it, because I can't remember what they were.

I don't really care for Firefox as much on Vista as I do on XP, but I can deal with it :)

congrats on your new toy, did you get the 299$ one they had?

Yes. They were selling them yesterday, but they advertised the sale started today. You can't go wrong with this computer.

It's bigger and faster than my Gateway, but at a quarter of the price :D

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
We switched to Vista at work a couple of months ago. I quickly figured out how to get it to work and look like XP. I like the improved search. I hate the goofy big dialog it shows to ask if you want to replace a file with one of the same name. It looks like it was drawn by a child.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I've read many of the complaints about Vista, but I've personally never had any issues with it. I've use it since it was released as I got a free upgrade on my HP Business Desktop to Vista Business. I also have Vista Business on my Lenovo Business Notebook. I personally never looked back from XP. There are many features that are so much better in Vista. One thing is connecting hardware most of the time Vista will have drivers for it. XP has always been crappy in terms of driver support. Wireless connectivity is much more intuitive and I also found home networking to be easier as well. While XP interface was okay overall once you get use to Vista it is much better.

The only reason Microsoft hasn't put the nail in XP is that Netbooks and so many businesses have resisted moving to Vista. They hope to change that with Win 7. I have also used Win 7 and the interface is different yet again and will take a bit of adjusting. Hell if I can adjust to Mac OS being a diehard Windows Geek, Vista/Win7 is a piece of cake. The real issue is that most people not only hate change they resist it like crazy even if ultimately it is better.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
my only complaint about vista is that it is a resource pig. but with the right machine it is a really nice OS. hopefully W7 will streamline things a bit when it comes to the min specs of a windows machine.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I never understood all the bad press about Vista. When I was using it I never had any problems with it.

my guess is that most complaints are from people who have older hardware or software (or people who already had their minds made up to hate vista). i generally never "upgrade" to a new OS except for when i buy or build a brand new pc. having said that, I did pre-order a couple copies of win 7 since for the first time the min specs went down, and the thought of a slimmed down windows OS appeals to me :).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
my only complaint about vista is that it is a resource pig. but with the right machine it is a really nice OS. hopefully W7 will streamline things a bit when it comes to the min specs of a windows machine.

I agree with you there it is pretty much a resource hog, but it seems with SP2 that they have fixed a lot of the hoggishness to some degree. The fact is that Windows in an effort to always be somewhat backwards compatible always kept a lot of crap in the code, when Vista was released they tried to remove a lot of that thereby ended support for a lot of older hardware. I think that in and of itself created the bad feelings for it. However, in a blind test folks were shocked at how much they liked Windows Vista as long as they didn't know it was Vista. I know many who bitch about Vista who have never tried it at all, they just continue to tow that line in regards to what they heard or read. Most of which is BS!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I agree with you there it is pretty much a resource hog, but it seems with SP2 that they have fixed a lot of the hoggishness to some degree. The fact is that Windows in an effort to always be somewhat backwards compatible always kept a lot of crap in the code, when Vista was released they tried to remove a lot of that thereby ended support for a lot of older hardware. I think that in and of itself created the bad feelings for it. However, in a blind test folks were shocked at how much they liked Windows Vista as long as they didn't know it was Vista. I know many who bitch about Vista who have never tried it at all, they just continue to tow that line in regards to what they heard or read. Most of which is BS!

exactly. being in a business where I have to test, deliver, and support complicated software/hardware systems I can really sympathize with having to be backwards-compatible. It always handicaps you and horribly complicates the code. And i can't even imagine trying to test backwards compatibility for the essentially infinite hardware/software combinations of Windows out there. I never really noticed the bloatedness of vista since i built a pretty powerful machine :). The alternatives to attempting full backwards compatibility would be to control everything like Apple does, or leave it to the user base to implement support ala Linux. All three ways have their advantages and disadvantages.

Even though I really don't need to upgrade, the geek in me is looking forward to wiping clean and loading Windows 7!

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
exactly. being in a business where I have to test, deliver, and support complicated software/hardware systems I can really sympathize with having to be backwards-compatible. It always handicaps you and horribly complicates the code. And i can't even imagine trying to test backwards compatibility for the essentially infinite hardware/software combinations of Windows out there. I never really noticed the bloatedness of vista since i built a pretty powerful machine :). The alternatives to attempting full backwards compatibility would be to control everything like Apple does, or leave it to the user base to implement support ala Linux. All three ways have their advantages and disadvantages.

Even though I really don't need to upgrade, the geek in me is looking forward to wiping clean and loading Windows 7!

I love Linux! I think when I upgrade to Windows 7 I will make my machine dual boot so I can use both.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I love Linux! I think when I upgrade to Windows 7 I will make my machine dual boot so I can use both.

Linux is great, I use it every day at work. I resurrected an older machine (P4) that I had laying around and loaded it up with CentOS 5. It's going to live in my garage once I get everything all organized in there. I like using virtualization tools like VMWare or Virtual Box when I want to run other OS's on my Windows machine. Dual booting is too cumbersome and can be tricky at times when you want to change things (remove an OS, change an OS, etc...). Check out virtual box from Sun (VirtualBox) its an awesome tool and it's free!