Windows: "Restart now/later?" after updates.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I FRICKIN HATE THIS FEATURE!!! Every few minutes after a windows update the damn computer tries to restart. Can't count how many times I was in the middle of something, stepped away for a minute, and came back to find the computer restarted. Do Apples do this? Anyway to turn it off??

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I FRICKIN HATE THIS FEATURE!!! Every few minutes after a windows update the damn computer tries to restart. Can't count how many times I was in the middle of something, stepped away for a minute, and came back to find the computer restarted. Do Apples do this? Anyway to turn it off??

Yes, you can turn it off. Mine (XP and Vista) don't do it automatically. You can also turn off the auto download and install features so that you do it when you want to, not when it wants to.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I like the autoupdate feature, I just hate the auto restart.

I have mine set to download all updates but not to install until I tell it too. I run a lot of automated stuff which makes auto-reboots very unattractive to me. I'll typically only install updates when I am at a point where I am OK with a system reboot (but I never put off updates for more than a day or two since they are generally pretty important).

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Apple Paltrow does not have these problems.
"Apple Paltrow" - Google Images
:confused:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apples never have problems, therefore never need to be patched, therefore never need to be restarted after a patch. Duh...

Actually Mac doesn't have an auto update, it has an auto check for updates, but never updates until you tell it too.

I have mine set to download all updates but not to install until I tell it too. I run a lot of automated stuff which makes auto-reboots very unattractive to me. I'll typically only install updates when I am at a point where I am OK with a system reboot (but I never put off updates for more than a day or two since they are generally pretty important).

That is exactly what I do on my Windows machines. Also if you happen to install the update, you can postpone the reboot for up to 4 hours at least on Vista and Win 7. You can pretty much control most features in Windows, but sometimes they aren't so easily found.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I can't so much as walk by a linux install without breaking it. I love the concept, hate the execution.

Its kinda like having a gourmet kitchen with no cookbooks, when all you ever knew how to make was microwaved TV dinners.

Maybe if you purchase a distro with CS support its easier to get cooking?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
It's all those things. It's too many choices and too much stuff left out in the open for me to screw up. I love linux, but I just don't have the time to learn it. I need my machine to work.

I need an extra, non-production linux-only box that I can wreak havoc with.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

I tried that, but eventually realized it just isn't worth the effort. There's no killer feature in Linux that justifies the hassle of supporting it, at least not for me. It might be fun if I was learning OS theory or just farting around with computers, but I went through that phase 20 years ago. Now I just want a burrito.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
It's all those things. It's too many choices and too much stuff left out in the open for me to screw up. I love linux, but I just don't have the time to learn it. I need my machine to work.

Get VirtualBox and you can run Linux VMs all you want without hurting your main computer. That's a good way to learn and/or just try them out. I use Linux all the time at work and have become pretty good with it over the last few years (although in NO WAY would I consider myself a real Linux guy). Even the most user-friendly distros like Ubuntu are not really ready for the general public who just want their machines to work and dont want to deal with compiling drivers into the kernel and that sort of thing.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
Mine puts a little icon at the bottom of the screen whenever it has an update it wants to install. Then I usually just don't click on that until I'm at a place where I don't mind a reboot. (I'm using Windows XP).

Sort of off-topic, but is anyone else sick of those Mac/PC commercials? They were so cute at first, but now they make me want to get an Amiga or something.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Now I just want a burrito.
I just hate paying for a burrito that then makes me prove I really bought a genuine burrito every other 'byte' and also requires I have a phone or internet just to eat it. Plus dont you get pissed when your in the middle of enjoying your tasty burrito and it has to be sent back to the kitchen and rebuilt cause its Tuesday and the salsa update just came out?

But it could be worse, we could have been silly enough to pay extra for a fluffy, glossy apple burrito that can only be eaten on really expensive china with a silver fork and knife.
:peace:

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Mine puts a little icon at the bottom of the screen whenever it has an update it wants to install. Then I usually just don't click on that until I'm at a place where I don't mind a reboot. (I'm using Windows XP).

Sort of off-topic, but is anyone else sick of those Mac/PC commercials? They were so cute at first, but now they make me want to get an Amiga or something.
I hate them. And notice them much more after getting my Macbook Pro.

And the "laptop hunter" commercials suck too, but fair is fair.

They've even exceeded how annoying Windows auto updates are. :jj:

And damn it, now I'm craving a burrito.