Windows 9 looking a lot like Linux?

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
As far as the desktop goes, I'm pretty happy with Windows 7/8 interface. I'm not looking for a major revamping, just refinements.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I personally hate Windows 8. I had to cleanup and defrag a windows 8 laptop and I almost smashed it due to not having a windows button. Then, after I upgraded to 8.1 on that machine, I found it to not be any better, even with that useless Windows Button.

Microsoft should stop trying to create an App Ecosystem on their computers and just keep it simple. I need to use a computer as a computer, not as a smartphone or tablet.

If I REALLY wanted the windows ecosystem, I would have bought a Windows Mobile Tablet and Phone with that piece of s**t computer.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I personally hate Windows 8. I had to cleanup and defrag a windows 8 laptop and I almost smashed it due to not having a windows button. Then, after I upgraded to 8.1 on that machine, I found it to not be any better, even with that useless Windows Button.

Microsoft should stop trying to create an App Ecosystem on their computers and just keep it simple. I need to use a computer as a computer, not as a smartphone or tablet.

If I REALLY wanted the windows ecosystem, I would have bought a Windows Mobile Tablet and Phone with that piece of s**t computer.

Your story sort of matches mine and also my feeling about it. MS could have done this very simple. If you are installing on a device with a touch screen, then it would give the option to install the mobile/tablet type interface along with the desktop. However, on a pure desktop machine that isn't mobile or touch screen.. it should just install the regular desktop.

Anyway... you and I aren't alone in our feeling about this. Forums are full of folks complaining about it. People do hate change, but this was change just for the sake of doing so. This would have still allowed Windows to develop their mobile platform without alienating all their desktop users and especially enterprise users who in my opinion will never jump on the Windows 8 platform.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Your story sort of matches mine and also my feeling about it. MS could have done this very simple. If you are installing on a device with a touch screen, then it would give the option to install the mobile/tablet type interface along with the desktop. However, on a pure desktop machine that isn't mobile or touch screen.. it should just install the regular desktop.

Anyway... you and I aren't alone in our feeling about this. Forums are full of folks complaining about it. People do hate change, but this was change just for the sake of doing so. This would have still allowed Windows to develop their mobile platform without alienating all their desktop users and especially enterprise users who in my opinion will never jump on the Windows 8 platform.

I am not against change. As a matter of fact, I am for change.

Windows was in need of a refresh, but please don't hide the main desktop functions that every windows 7 and prior users know and love. If you want to add the windows ecosystem, thats fine, just give us a way to uninstall it if we dont want to be "forced" to use it on a desktop pc.

I cant ever see my employer (major global company) moving to Windows 8 based upon what I saw. We just moved off of Vista :)buriedinbricks:... I know) and onto Windows 7 enterprise, and the system "magically" lost our access to systems, favorites, and any files that weren't in our "My Documents" folder, which is backed up onto our local server.

If that is any indication of whats to come, I better get one of our admins to order me a hard drive to go along with that 16 Gig Flash Drive they gave me....

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I think Linux is great. If I could get Microsoft Office and my legacy apps I use at work on Linux I would go to Linux full time. In fact on my other laptop I do only run Linux, but it's a pain in the ass to carry two laptops with me. Yes I dual boot, but it's not an ideal solution.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think Linux is great. If I could get Microsoft Office and my legacy apps I use at work on Linux I would go to Linux full time. In fact on my other laptop I do only run Linux, but it's a pain in the ass to carry two laptops with me. Yes I dual boot, but it's not an ideal solution.

Does open office work on Linux?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I think Winows 8 suffered from the notion of, "Tiles seem to work great on tablets! It should be the interface for everything everywhere!!"

If you look at Macs, they get a little of this, too, from the, at least on my machine, never used LaunchPad.

I like the interface to my microwave oven. I don't think it's an appropriate interface for my TV, radio, alarm clock, car, and everything else under the Sun. I really wish people would think before trying to force the same paradigm on everything.

Windows 8 with the tiles, though I've never used it, looks unappealing to me. I don't want to reach up and touch my screen nor do I want the idea of tiles as being the interface.

Windows 7, I thought, was pretty nice. My only major complaint with Windows is that since XP, I think, they've had that idiotic 20-question control panel (yes, I know you can go to Classic mode). I don't want to answer 20 questions to say, "Please get my IP via DHCP," or whatever I'm trying to do.

I work with Linux at work and like it. I've always avoided for home because I really want regular, off the shelf, programs to work and not have to go digging for some half-supported (because the developer was really keen on it at the time but has since moved on) sort-of app. That's not to say that there aren't nice things on Linux, don't get me wrong, I just don't want the chore of discovering them, trying to install them, or having to build them when all I really want is for a program to do something and it's readily available on Windows or Mac.

I was really impressed with Ubuntu a few years back. Just the install and it recognizing everything. I've since heard that they've made it a bit complex but I haven't tried in years.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Mostly I want the OS to stay the funk out of the way. If I never notice it, MS has succeeded. If only they thought the same way.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I couldn't go back to Windows 7. I have adjusted to windows 8, I like having store apps, integrated search, SkyDrive, touch interface and having Hyper-V built in is definitely a bonus. I'm also totally hooked on Xbox Music as my cloud based music solution.

The only complaint I have with Windows 8.1 is managing store apps and desktop apps together isn't as seamless as I would like, but it is manageable. I hear that they are working on a version where you can float store apps in a resizable window right on the desktop. So that will solve my only major complaint.