Windows 8 Start-up

later

Jul 22, 2009
Any way in windows 8 to have it boot up like the older versions did where it just goes to the desk top instead of the new way. (my dad needs a new laptop and does not do well with change)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
8.1 coming out soon will offer that option.
It will be a free upgrade from 8.

Well sorta kinda!!! It will boot to the desktop, but what many wanted is a fully functional start button. By default that still isn't activated and even when you do, its not like it was before. Its sort of a paired down version. Not sure why MS felt that they could just put it back like it was.

I think the whole roll back to doing this is an admission in and of itself that what they did was a grand screw up to start with. This is how Windows 8 should have shipped to start with.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Well sorta kinda!!! It will boot to the desktop, but what many wanted is a fully functional start button. By default that still isn't activated and even when you do, its not like it was before. Its sort of a paired down version. Not sure why MS felt that they could just put it back like it was.

If it's that important to have the old start menu (I don't miss it) then buy a $5 program (there are several good options) and problem resolved. Life's too short to not get what you want, but you sometimes have to spend some hard earned cash to solve the issue. For the cost of a trip to Starbucks, you are good for the next couple years.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If it's that important to have the old start menu (I don't miss it) then buy a $5 program (there are several good options) and problem resolved. Life's too short to not get what you want, but you sometimes have to spend some hard earned cash to solve the issue. For the cost of a trip to Starbucks, you are good for the next couple years.

There are free ones you can get, but that is not the point. MS is just stuck on stupid!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
There are free ones you can get, but that is not the point. MS is just stuck on stupid!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, Apple has this disease too, and most of the Apple lovers I know don't hesitate to buy the utility that makes using their computer better. When I showed Windows 7 side by side as an integrated feature, the Apple guys have to search and search to find a 3rd party utility to do the same thing. Want to full screen your app on Apple, well doesn't always work, they make the decision for you on how big you want it.

I think Microsoft is rightly concerned about being left behind on mobile market, and so they obviously had to make some drastic changes to stay in the game. Version 8.1 is a good sign that they are on the track to a great OS. Annual updates are a welcome change.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well, Apple has this disease too, and most of the Apple lovers I know don't hesitate to buy the utility that makes using their computer better. When I showed Windows 7 side by side as an integrated feature, the Apple guys have to search and search to find a 3rd party utility to do the same thing. Want to full screen your app on Apple, well doesn't always work, they make the decision for you on how big you want it.

I think Microsoft is rightly concerned about being left behind on mobile market, and so they obviously had to make some drastic changes to stay in the game. Version 8.1 is a good sign that they are on the track to a great OS. Annual updates are a welcome change.

Being able to put a display in full screen mode vs the start button aren't even in the same ballpark. The start button has been part of the OS forever, until 8.0. Then they did finally figured out they had to step back 8.1 and instead of just putting the whole thing back in place as they should have, they did a makeshift fix. Again you can try to make this about Apple, but this is about MS being stuck on stupid! Also 8.1 has been a fiasco for many users... just on MS own forums its turn into a nightmare.

Now Apple has their own stupid moves, but this isn't about Apple this is about Windows 8.0 and MS! Nice try on the deflection though!

I agree that MS had to do something for mobile, doesn't mean you have to screw up the desktop portion to do it.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Being able to put a display in full screen mode vs the start button aren't even in the same ballpark. The start button has been part of the OS forever, until 8.0. Then they did finally figured out they had to step back 8.1 and instead of just putting the whole thing back in place as they should have, they did a makeshift fix. Again you can try to make this about Apple, but this is about MS being stuck on stupid! Also 8.1 has been a fiasco for many users... just on MS own forums its turn into a nightmare.

Now Apple has their own stupid moves, but this isn't about Apple this is about Windows 8.0 and MS! Nice try on the deflection though!

I agree that MS had to do something for mobile, doesn't mean you have to screw up the desktop portion to do it.

I know what you are saying, but I don't think MS would be criticized any less if they added the old start menu back. It doesn't really fit in the modern way of doing things. Almost everything that you could do on the start menu you can do easier and in fewer steps with the new start screen, but it requires people to actually invest about 30 minutes learning how it could be better rather than fixating on the old thing that they think was the pinnacle of innovation.

I do grant you this, MS did take a huge risk, pissed off a bunch of people but for people to complain and not just get the easy solution in a 3rd party utility at some point just shows that they are too stubborn to do what's right for themselves.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I know what you are saying, but I don't think MS would be criticized any less if they added the old start menu back. It doesn't really fit in the modern way of doing things. Almost everything that you could do on the start menu you can do easier and in fewer steps with the new start screen, but it requires people to actually invest about 30 minutes learning how it could be better rather than fixating on the old thing that they think was the pinnacle of innovation.

I do grant you this, MS did take a huge risk, pissed off a bunch of people but for people to complain and not just get the easy solution in a 3rd party utility at some point just shows that they are too stubborn to do what's right for themselves.

My point is they really didn't have to do it that way. I think most that want the full start menu had no choice but to either buy or download for free a 3rd party app. This has truly been a media nightmare for MS. There mere fact that they walked back on this goes directly to the negative feedback they got. Though I can tell you of some folks that actually just downgraded back to Windows 7.

Most people describe Windows as a mixed up OS that can't decide rather it wants to be a mobile OS or a desktop OS. I agree with that assessment! I disagree that the old start really has no place in the current setup. Considering the complaints I'd say many disagree with you.

It would have made more sense providing a version that when you installed it on a non touch screen setup that it would have given the option to give all the under the hood advantages of Windows 8 and leverage the great GUI interface of Windows 7. I think this would have allowed them to do better with enterprise, which has simply NOT adopted Windows 8.

Anyway, we could go on with this for days, but you think the way you do and I think the way I do. I can tell you that I only use Windows when I am absolutely FORCED too. I've kept up with it, because I do have some family and friends that still use it. I am glad we all have a choice to pick what works best for us and as long as we are happy with our choices its all good!

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
DAB, glad to see you are still around here, I don't come around often, but glad you were here to have this discussion.

I agree the missing start button being added helps (especially for remote desktop sessions) and that many still want the menu too. Adding desktop wallpaper as the background to the start page in 8.1 helps with the shock of the context switch.

I get that about the familiarity factor for the start menu, but all the functionality is there, it's just accessed a different way. At some point people just need to decide if arguing about it is worth more than just learning a new improved way to do things. When I got an iPhone, I had to learn a new way of using the device. When I got the Surface I had to learn a few new things, and when I got a Mac I had to learn a whole lot of new things. Learning and adapting is just part of keeping up with state of the art, and of all people, you know this best.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Good to see you post again too! I miss the old days around here. LOL

I agree that if folks are going to keep up with tech, that includes dealing with change and learning to adapt.

Thanks for the conversation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk