Windows 7

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
So who here will actually be buying a copy and moving to Win7 when it comes out next month?

I normally never "upgrade" my OS until I get a new PC, but I do have a couple copies on order from Amazon since they were only $50. If W7 is as nice as the public beta then I think it'll be a good move (plus it's a good excuse to do nerdy computer crap for a weekend... :))

PACanesFan

Oct 13, 2008
The only reason I upgraded is the $50.00 price point. And I will get to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture (though for web surfing, it isn't going to make a difference).

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
My only real concern is if the upgrade version will allow you to do a fresh install over vista versus an update installation. it better let you do it that way! If not then I'll probably cancel my order with amazon and keep my machines as they are.

AmuN

Oct 22, 2008
i got it free when i upgraded my system. I was on a dinosaur of a system and decided it was time to build a new one. I bought Vista 64 to go along with my new computer since 32 bit ram support is pretty much garbage for todays memory.

I built me a decent system that i think will handle windows 7 nicely....

Intel Core i7 920
6GB DDR3 1333 ram
ATI HD4890-OC (I might get a 2nd and run Crossfire, my board supports 3 cards running Crossfire but whats the point?)
Soundblaster X-Fi titanium (since i'm not a fan of onboard sound)
and i moved my raid drives to this system but I think i might upgrade to 1TB or even SSD drives I'm not entirely sure

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My only real concern is if the upgrade version will allow you to do a fresh install over vista versus an update installation. it better let you do it that way! If not then I'll probably cancel my order with amazon and keep my machines as they are.

You absolutely will have an option to do a clean install, even though you are actually using an upgrade. You just have to start it from within Windows and then it will give you the option of upgrade or clean. Once you click on clean it till install some files and then reboot. You will then have the option to format or even repartition your hard drive if you want before installing. I've tested this out several times and have had no problems!

In fact I've never known an upgrade from MS that didn't work this way, just most folks don't have a clue what they are doing.

Hex probably knows more about this stuff than I do and can probably verify this. He has been testing Windows 7 since it was in diapers! LOL

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
You absolutely will have an option to do a clean install, even though you are actually using an upgrade. You just have to start it from within Windows and then it will give you the option of upgrade or clean. Once you click on clean it till install some files and then reboot. You will then have the option to format or even repartition your hard drive if you want before installing. I've tested this out several times and have had no problems!

In fact I've never known an upgrade from MS that didn't work this way, just most folks don't have a clue what they are doing.

Hex probably knows more about this stuff than I do and can probably verify this. He has been testing Windows 7 since it was in diapers! LOL

That's what I assume too, but I've been listening to the Leo Laporte show and it seems that MS has been very quiet on the capabilities of the upgrade disc. In the past it has been acceptable to insert the install disc of a previous version of windows to get the upgrade to install, but there is talk that W7 will actually want to see the old OS installed on the target disc before it'll install itself. I guess we'll see in October...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's what I assume too, but I've been listening to the Leo Laporte show and it seems that MS has been very quiet on the capabilities of the upgrade disc. In the past it has been acceptable to insert the install disc of a previous version of windows to get the upgrade to install, but there is talk that W7 will actually want to see the old OS installed on the target disc before it'll install itself. I guess we'll see in October...

Yeah and in all fairness the testing we've done has been on the full RTM that we downloaded for testing purposes, so there is really NO way to 100% be sure that it will work the way I've suggested. However, it would be a deviation from past practices if they change it to have to see the OS installed on the hard drive. None the less for most this wouldn't be a problem either as long as it still allows for a method to do a clean install. I am a big believer in doing a clean install when upgrading an OS. Heck I even did a clean install on my Mac Mini with Snow Leopard recently. It apparently doesn't care if you have OS X installed or not. So, hopefully Windows 7 will be the same.

Think about it, your hard drive crashes, you buy a new one. All you have is your upgrade to Windows 7 and your old Vista or XP installation DVD/CD. It would be pretty sorry of MS to force you to install an old OS and then upgrade, instead of just making sure you have the rights to and install by verification. Another interesting thing about the Mac (which I know is off topic) is that there is no way to eject the installation DVD, so you can't do a verification) I found that rather silly. Can you imagine the field day Windows owners would have if MS used the honor system as Apple does? LOL

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
It's very unlikely that Microsoft will go that route. The OS has already gone gold and has long been delivered to the OEMs. Some OEMs provide the actual upgrade disc rather than a "Factory Restore disc" that other OEMs package, and the final build does not prevent you from performing a clean install.

Regardless, Microsoft would leave a method on the disc to perform a clean install (most likely using the Recovery Console) IF they were to do such a thing. They would not close off a path to recovering your computer using clean install should you call technical support.

I like Leo, but it sounds to me he's just trying to stir the pot a little bit. I know he's a hardcore Apple fanatic (like DAB :icon_biggrin:) and he's not afraid to show it off at times. :p

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Lets hope M$ and apple are on a path to dropping the need for shipping install discs for most consumers. Maybe for (OS11 and Win8?)

Just sell individual activation codes and have the full installs available on bittorent. For the upgrade discount, customers just need to provide their last versions lic key to the vendor at purchase, or maybe just get a rebate if you enter a valid old OS key during the new install.

No more lost or scratched optical discs to pollute and ship.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Just sell individual activation codes and have the full installs available on bittorent. For the upgrade discount, customers just need to provide their last versions lic key to the vendor at purchase, or maybe just get a rebate if you enter a valid old OS key during the new install.

No more lost or scratched optical discs to pollute and ship.

Microsoft does that already. Not the BitTorrent part, of course. But that's easily obtainable. A simple phone call is all it takes.

Of course, don't be an idiot and call them up and say you just downloaded Windows 7 off a torrent file and you want to buy a code. Use common sense. Simply ask to purchase a licence key. If they even bother to ask why, tell them you lost your key (they won't refuse to sell you a key).

The phone number is simple:

1-800-MICROSOFT :)

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Microsoft does that already. Not the BitTorrent part, of course. But that's easily obtainable. A simple phone call is all it takes.

Of course, don't be an idiot and call them up and say you just downloaded Windows 7 off a torrent file and you want to buy a code. Use common sense. Simply ask to purchase a licence key. If they even bother to ask why, tell them you lost your key (they won't refuse to sell you a key).

The phone number is simple:

1-800-MICROSOFT :)
:ter:
So then why is this discussion of "can i do a clean install on upgrade lic disc or not?" popping up all over the net?:confused:
Call up get the upgrade lic for 7, download it, and on oct 22 your ready to do the fullinstall at upgrade prices.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
So then why is this discussion of "can i do a clean install on upgrade lic disc or not?" popping up all over the net?:confused:
Call up get the upgrade lic for 7, download it, and on oct 22 your ready to do the fullinstall at upgrade prices.

Upgrade licences are a little trickier to handle over the phone. You will need to call Technical Support for that, instead of Sales.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California

Because MS won't answer the simple question, and theirs is the only answer that really matters. I would never underestimate the stupid things that a company could do in the name of "fighting software piracy".

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I would never underestimate the stupid things that a company could do in the name of "fighting software piracy".

You just have to reach out. I've never had an issue with Microsoft and they will even take care of those that fall 'victim to software piracy' (you'll at least be able to buy legitimate Windows 7 from them at a discounted rate, and in some cases completely gratis).

Sounds like fair practice to me.

But I'm almost certain they would not make it impossible to perform a clean install using an upgrade disc. That would be a massive headache for technical support if they did that.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You just have to reach out. I've never had an issue with Microsoft and they will even take care of those that fall 'victim to software piracy' (you'll at least be able to buy legitimate Windows 7 from them at a discounted rate, and in some cases completely gratis).

Sounds like fair practice to me.

But I'm almost certain they would not make it impossible to perform a clean install using an upgrade disc. That would be a massive headache for technical support if they did that.

I agree with you Hex! I had a buddy of mine that bought a notebook on Ebay. When he got it after about 30 days a pop up come up saying he needed to activate. When he tried too he got an authentication error. It had him download some sort of authentication program, which he installed. Once he installed it, basically it just asked him if he wanted to make his copy geniune. Once he clicked YES he was taken a screen to purchase a key. Once the key was purchased he was able to install it. Now his machine has a legit copy of Windows. In about 3 days he got a disc in the mail from MS, along with a genuine certifcate with the keycode to put on his computer.

While the activation system can be a pain in the ass (no doubt about it) I fully understand why MS has it and I think they are right to protect their property. Mac doesn't have to do this because lets face it the demand for it just isn't there like Windows, so the honor system works. However, you can bet your ass that there are a lot of illegal copies of Mac OS X out there too. However Apple doesn't seem to concerned with making money on OS X as much as they do their hardware.

I do think you'll be able to do clean installs even with upgrade DVD's. I know that the upgrade DVD's that I got for Vista was basically all versions of Windows. What made the difference was the keycode you use made your version of Windows what it was you paid for. I think Win 7 will be the same! This saves them having to package up actual different versions since all disc would basically be all version including 32 or 64 bit. Vista actually didn't have both 32 and 64 bit version of the DVD, but it is my understanding Windows 7 will.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
So I wonder if they will they take my win 95 lic for upgrade? or a gateway oem xp lic from 2000?
M$ should definitely give you more off (like all!) if you ever got suckered into buying ME or 'Mojave'. :D

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I got bored, so here's a Windows 7 tip for you:

Recycle Bin on Taskbar

This is if you want to put the recycle bin on the taskbar and remove the icon from the desktop (you can always put it back later):

1. Click Start

2. In the search box, paste the following and hit enter:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

60555997.png

3. A folder should pop-up. Drag the Recycle Bin icon that's on your Desktop into the folder (it will create a shortcut). If there are any other shortcuts in the folder, delete them.

4. Close window and right-click the taskbar. Click Toolbars > New toolbar > Paste the line in the code box above and click Select Folder.

5. Unlock the taskbar (right-click taskbar and uncheck 'Lock the taskbar').

6. Right-click the divider (looks like a row of 3 horizontal dots) and click View > Large Icons, and uncheck 'Show Title' and 'Show Text'

78223586.png

7. Lock the taskbar

... and you're all done

20039278.png

To remove the desktop icon, right-click the desktop > 'Personalization' > and in the left window pane, click 'Change desktop icons'. Uncheck Recycle Bin and hit OK. (It can always be added back later)

47133317.png