Windows 7 beta

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm still on build 6956. I haven't had the chance to test out build 7000 (official Windows 7 beta). I think I have it downloading at the house. As soon as I try it out, I'll let you know what I think.

Here is build 6956:

51299542vs8.png

Last edited:

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Please do, I may take a chance with it. Can it access the net? I've read people can't get on the net because of driver issues.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Please do, I may take a chance with it. Can it access the net? I've read people can't get on the net because of driver issues.

Yes, as you can see in the screenshot.

I didn't have to install any drivers, Windows 7 took care of it all during setup.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
When is this due for release or MS just toying for years like they did with Vista and then just end up with pretty much a pretty new resource grubbing interface?

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I like to call myself an advanced noob, so doe's it have to be a full install or can I upgrade?

I had the option in setup to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. But I did a fresh install, and that was build 6956. I haven't got to installing build 7000 yet. I have the image on the hard drive, I'll burn the disc and install it tomorrow.

When is this due for release or MS just toying for years like they did with Vista and then just end up with pretty much a pretty new resource grubbing interface?

They're already in Beta. There won't be a second beta after this, they have already moved on to RC (Release Candidate). You will see Windows 7 on the store shelves and on the new PCs before the holiday shopping season in 2009 (at least that's the objective and it seems like they are on track to achieving this goal).

Reactions: DAB

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
They're already in Beta. There won't be a second beta after this, they have already moved on to RC (Release Candidate). You will see Windows 7 on the store shelves and on the new PCs before the holiday shopping season in 2009 (at least that's the objective and it seems like they are on track to achieving this goal).

Thanks for the update, I've not kept up lately....

So what is this OS suppose to give us that would make us want to finally drop XP Pro or even Vista for those of us that unwittingly upgraded or purchased a new computer with it on there already! LOL

Actually I have enjoyed Vista, so I have no complaints about it.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I tried to mount and install Build 7 and it didn't go any further than the install screen. Was I supposed to burn it to disc?

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Are you using a Virtual Machine to install, or are you attempting to run the install while booted in Windows?

I burn to disc, and boot it.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
So what is this OS suppose to give us that would make us want to finally drop XP Pro or even Vista.

Unlike its predecessor, Windows 7 is intended to be an incremental upgrade with the goal of being fully compatible with existing device drivers, applications, and hardware. Presentations given by the company in 2008 have focused on multi-touch support, a redesigned Windows Shell with a new taskbar, a home networking system called HomeGroup, and performance improvements.

Bill Gates, in an interview with Newsweek, suggested that the next version of Windows would "be more user-centric." Gates later said that Windows 7 will also focus on performance improvements; Steven Sinofsky later expanded on this point, explaining in the Engineering Windows 7 blog that the company was using a variety of new tracing tools to measure the performance of many areas of the operating system on an ongoing basis, to help locate inefficient code paths and to help prevent performance regressions.

Current betas have been reported by CNET as working faster than Windows XP and Vista and beat Windows XP/Vista in 3 out of 4 tests

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For all the new features (support for 48-bit "deep color" is one of my favorites), check out this link:

Features new to Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I plan on having build 7000 ready to go and tested by later on today and I will try to give a through rundown on the Windows 7 beta and answer all of your questions.

Stay tuned.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well... It's 3:10 in the morning and Build 7000 is already installed and I got all of my applications and such moved over.

I'm a little tired, so I'll just post a few screenshots and if any of you have any questions or want to see more, let me know.

Here is the boot screen (video was recorded by someone else):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYnRkgcRS08[/ame]

Here is the desktop (I have my wallpapers rotating every 30 seconds):

87470542ed0.png

Here is the Windows version information:

67253792ty6.png

One of the new features for Windows 7; a brand new Windows shell and taskbar. Now, if you have multiple windows open and you want to switch over to the other window, you just put your cursor over the application icon and click which window you want (you can even just get a quick preview of the window by hovering your mouse over the window icon and then move the mouse away and it goes back to the window you were using):

38714363do2.png

Here is a good video that shows the taskbar and how that windows switching/previewing works. It is a really neat feature, if I do say so myself:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipg6ltIZRw0[/ame]

You can still use the Alt+Tab or Win+Tab to switch windows if you prefer to use that instead:

Vista_Flip_3d.png

Here is the system tray (video is not by me and it was from an older build of Windows 7, but you'll get the idea)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCCFXh-QEc[/ame]

Here are the games that come included with Windows 7 Beta:

20121337gy1.png

Here is the Control Panel and a new applet called the "Action Center"

42293661nb9.png

One neat little feature they put in Windows 7 for the application icons is a "color hovering" feature, here is a video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZcGDyacHo[/ame]

My Firefox glows orange and my SIRIUS player glows the shade of blue that SIRIUS uses for their logo, all done by the OS.

That's all the pictures I have for now, and I'm getting sleepy. If you have any questions or would like to see some more pictures, let me know.

Last edited:

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
For those that are interested:

Windows 7 Beta will launch to the public tomorrow, via download.microsoft.com

... and a couple of more videos for you all

Steve Ballmer's Windows 7 Presentation (sound quality not so good, skip to 1:37 for Windows 7 presentation):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deeiW_rTqo]YouTube - Steve Ballmer about Windows 7.[/ame]

After the presentation: Sexy lady shows you an indepth look at Windows 7, Windows Mobile, and Windows Live:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGzmj7BlZ0[/ame]

Last edited:

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I've heard industry insiders say this it what Vista was supposed to be. They think it's great, and some believe it will be released this summer to catch the before school shoppers.