Willie's Place vs. Roadhouse

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Aren't these channels about the same. Don't they both play classic country? Why would both survive the merger?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is the description of Willie's Place:

Old-time Texas honky-tonk, broadcasting live each day from the “Willie's Place” truck stop in Carl's Corner, Texas. The nickel jukebox is always stocked with vintage honky-tonk, western swing, and downhome country music, generally from the mid-‘60s and earlier.

It basically covers these sub-genres of Country; Traditional, Honky Tonk, Roots Country, Twang, Cowboy.

Where as The Roadhouse is the place for the classic sound of REAL country music, featuring timeless recordings from the country legends and Hall of Fame members from the mid-60s to the mid-80s. This is more in line with contemporary country that is 20 to 40 years old.

If you listen to them initially they sound a lot alike, but after you listen awhile you can tell a clear difference.

Clevey

Oct 13, 2008
Willie's Place is Carl Smith, Ernest Tubb, Gary P. Nunn, fiddles and beer. Roadhouse, so far, is Anne Murray, Glen Campbell, lush string arrangements and a glass of pink zinfandel.

Last edited:

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
Definitely different.

Willie's Place goes farther back in the years, playing a lot of "blood and guts" country from the 50's etc.

It was a good pick-up for Sirius.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yeah. I would say Willie's place is my favorite new station. Still a huge fan of Roadhouse though. I'm always surprised to hear how many people really like classic country like they play on Willie's Place.

zepped

Nov 2, 2008
Willie's Place goes farther back in the years, playing a lot of "blood and guts" country from the 50's etc.

Back then they could put together a great story in a 3 minute song. I enjoy the heartache, stalking and knife proliferation at Willie's place - it's second to the Led Zeppelin channel in my book.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
There was a song on the other day called Mr. Shorty. It was such a great story. I forget who it was by, but it's the perfect example of why I like that station and the genre in general.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
Yeah. I would say Willie's place is my favorite new station. Still a huge fan of Roadhouse though. I'm always surprised to hear how many people really like classic country like they play on Willie's Place.

I give a slight edge to WP, but I agree that RH is quite good.

My favorite country channel is WP. However, before the merger, I liked Siri's overall selection of country channels better than XM's.

IMO, people are just fed up with the pop pap that the music and radio industries are trying to pass off on us as "country".

When they hear the "real deal" on WP, they're no longer interested in the cheap imitation that Nashville and terrestrial radio are giving us today.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
There was a song on the other day called Mr. Shorty. It was such a great story. I forget who it was by, but it's the perfect example of why I like that station and the genre in general.

I believe the song has been recorded by multiple artists, but the version you most likely heard was sung by Marty Robbins.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008

Mr. Shorty is by Marty Robbins, who was a master of telling stories of the Wild West in song.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Tonight on the Road House (7pm to Midnight est)

Aaron Tippin and Heidi Newfield on The Grand Ole Opry

Aaron Tippin, Bill Anderson and Jim Ed Brown share the stage with Mark Wills, Heidi Newfield and The Lost Trailers on tonight's Opry broadcast!

It has been great thus far.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Hank Williams: Inside The Box
2/11/11 - 12:01 am ET
Hank Williams' daughter Jett Williams takes us back in time for a listen of some rare radio recordings from her famous father more than 60 years ago. This week's show features programs from the first week of February, 1951, with performances by Hank & The Drifting Cowboys and Miss Audrey.
Hank Williams: Inside The Box

Sun 2/13 9:00 pm ET
It's another batch of Hank Williams' rare 1951 radio shows, heard just as they were originally broadcast, hosted by Jett Williams. This week's offerings include previously unheard performances of "Move It On Over," "Why Don't You Love Me," and more.

Rebroadcast: Wed 2/16 9:00 pm ET; Fri 2/18 12:00 am ET