Will you pay for 5 days/week of Mastertape Theater?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
So here's my theory - the reason Fridays went from "Mastertape Theater" to "Best of the Week" is because Stern is planning to sell Sirius the rights to play his old tapes after he retires next year. There's 10-20 years of tapes so Stern could keep getting paid for another 5 years at least without actually having to work. I think he stopped the use of the tapes every Friday once it occurred to him that he can make money off them.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Interesting theory....

I always wondered why HS doesn't sell his Master Tape collection in CD or e-form for download. I bet he'd do well.

But in regard to Sirius, I pay for Sirius as a whole entertainment package; not Stern exclusively. So, yes, I'd continue to receive Sirius.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Because when Howard made the deal to buy the tapes, it was Sirius who put up the money.

They are Sirius' property until the expiration of Howard's contract. At that time, the ownership reverts to Howard.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not so sure he won't be back. He's bitched and moaned about it for as long as I have been listening. Sure, some day he might, but as much as he gripes about work, I think he'd go nuts without some platform to pontificate from.

But if he does retire, I'd definitely drop to 2 subs instead of 3. I'll probably stick around for the music, and have to search out a new morning program. I rarely listen to MTT, but if that was my only choice, I might tune in once or twice a week.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
Pay more?

:2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:

Count me in as a NO. He's not adding a 10th chimmney to Beth's stable on my dime.:)

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
I thought he meant continue paying for a Sirius subscription. Not pay more.

LOL. I see what you're saying. It kinda does come off like that.

I meant I would not pay for the show if a Mastertape-type show were to forrmulate. If it were on free radio, I might listen.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
LOL. I see what you're saying. It kinda does come off like that.

I meant I would not pay for the show if a Mastertape-type show were to forrmulate. If it were on free radio, I might listen.

Ok I got ya now.
So you'd cancel? You don't listen to anything else? I bought Sirius for NASCAR and got into Stern after. Now I'm heavy into Jason Ellis. So I'll stay when Stern leaves.

Wolf knife laser torch!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have to say. I'm lifetimed. I enjoy the music though and Rivals radio on 122. Plus Jason Ellis is really growing on me. I think he tries to hard sometimes with the constant F bombs, but he's new at this and can only get better.

dZilla

Oct 17, 2008
Cold North
Although I think Howie has rights to 'program the channels' if Sirius really wanted to put MTT on they would, they own it, until the contract expires (as many have said)....

Also, I'm a lifetime sub as well, and I listen to much more then Howard... I've tried listening to terresterial radio on my drives to work, and I go insane.... Never going back.....

Although if he does retire on a permanent basis, they do need to find a good morning guy to replace him.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm a lifetime sub too. I have to say that it's a pleasure not having the, "Should I cancel?" debate ever going on in my head. I'll stay with Sirius until that unit breaks or Sirius goes under.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Rivals Radio! You ready for college football or what, Ehilbert? :churn::purpbanana:

OH HELL YEA!!!!! I'm chomping at the bit man. I can't wait to be in the shoe for that USC game. I hope and prey they win. I also can't wait to go watch the Buckeyes kick ass and then go home and watch SEC and Big 12 football. I'm soooooooooo ready.

Since this is a Howard forum I guess I should say........... It's to bad Howard hates college football. Ok am I in line now since I also made a Howard comment? ;)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
OH HELL YEA!!!!! I'm chomping at the bit man. I can't wait to be in the shoe for that USC game. I hope and prey they win. I also can't wait to go watch the Buckeyes kick ass and then go home and watch SEC and Big 12 football. I'm soooooooooo ready.

Since this is a Howard forum I guess I should say........... It's to bad Howard hates college football. Ok am I in line now since I also made a Howard comment? ;)

Yeah you almost forced me to give you an :eek:fftopic: but you saved it with the Howard reference.

I guess it would have been my fault anyway for bringing it up.

By the way, TP for Heisman! And not the TP you the Buckeye fan are probably thinking of. Google search Taylor Potts.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I'm too upset with promises made and then forgotten by Howard. He originally called MTT the uncensored original shows. They're anything but uncensored, they're edited AND censored. They're struggling in trying to even obtain tapes from that period in time, that's why they're begging their fans to submit whatever old tapes they might have in their possession.

I wouldn't pay for anything. Howard gets five years, his original contract and then it's over. He can go and fuck himself.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

Said it before & I will say it again. I came to Sirius for Howard but when and if Howard leaves I stay. Its the best radio out there, with or without Howard. :bow: