Why NASCAR should retire the #3

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
When the NASCAR Hall Of Fame opens next year in Charlotte, there's little doubt that Dale Earnhardt will be one of the first 5 people inducted. But what should also happen, is that NASCAR should retire the #3!

Now I've heard people who are against such a thing as they say that if NASCAR begins to retire car numbers, that eventually one day there won't be enough numbers left to go around. I say that I find that argument completely ridiculous. First off, just because you retire one number does not mean that there will be an onslaught of numbers that will be "nominated" for retirement. Sure the King's number would probably end up being retired as well, but there aren't many more after that. Perhaps a few.

Second, there probably will never be much more than the 43 car field that NASCAR fields now in the Cup Series. Back in the day you'd see upwards of 60 cars, but for the most part those days are long gone. Therefore, with NASCAR unlikely to field "3-digit" cars, you have over 50 "un-used" numbers with which to allow car number changes and number retirement. At the rate at which car numbers would be retired, it would be a few hundred years before it really became a problem, but doubtful.

Third, is that even if the #3 isn't retired, who's going to be crazy enough to be the first person to get into a car with the #3 painted on the side of it? It's even weird to see #3 cars in other series', let alone seeing it again in the Sprint Cup Series. Now we all know that RCR maintains the rights to the #3 and there have been rumours that Childress will perhaps give the #3 to his grandson, Austin Dillon, but that's an awful lot of pressure to put on somebody, and some would even suggest it could be bad luck.

In conclusion, with what Dale Earnhardt did in the sport of NASCAR both on and off the track, and with the tragic and dramatic way in which he died, it only makes sense that NASCAR honour it's greatest fallen hero by retiring the #3 on the day that the Hall Of Fame opens.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
Disagree. It's just a number on a car. And besides, it's my understanding that RCR owns the license for that number. If that's the case NASCAR can't just take that license away from him because they want to retire it. Many have predicted that the grandson of Richard Childress will one day drive in the cup series in a car with the number 3 on the side. Seeing as how he is running that number now at local tracks it seems like a logical progression to me.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
Disagree. It's just a number on a car. And besides, it's my understanding that RCR owns the license for that number. If that's the case NASCAR can't just take that license away from him because they want to retire it. Many have predicted that the grandson of Richard Childress will one day drive in the cup series in a car with the number 3 on the side. Seeing as how he is running that number now at local tracks it seems like a logical progression to me.

I'm not sure that the car owners "own" any kind of license for their numbers. My understanding is that NA$CAR owns the numbers and "rents" them to the owners, in theory, could pull it from Childress if they wanted to. Doubt it would happen. I don't agree with retiring numbers either.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
austin_gallery_hero.jpg

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The 3 used to lean towards the front of the car. Looks like they changed it so it leans to the rear :shock:

Doesn't matter to me. I was never a big fan of Dale Sr. anyway. I miss him on the track. I think he'd still be out there if he hadn't died. Oh well. Life goes on :worried:

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
There's a lot of doubt in my mind whether or not Earnhardt should be in the first group of inductees. There's two generations of people who helped start the sport who should be honoured long before Earnhardt is.

As for retiring car numbers, if NASCAR wouldn't do for Richard Petty, they shouldn't do it for anyone else. Not to mention other drivers drove the #3 and were successful before Earnhardt and Childress got together.

Last edited:

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow, is there even one person out there that agress with me?

Also, with Austin Dillon's car in that pic, the "3" on Dale's car leaned one way on one side of the car and the other way on the other side of the car. As an aside, that car just doesn't look right with that "stylized" 3 on it.

Also, if the other major sports retire numbers, why not NASCAR?

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
Things that get retired..become dusty, lost and forgotten. Gotta keep em out in public view where they can be remembered...."I remember when Sr. drove that 3 car." That way it get passed from present day fans to tomorrow's fans. Hide it...and when this generation of fans is gone...it'll be forgotten. Anywho...have a good one all.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Wow, is there even one person out there that agress with me?

I'm sure that there's one somewhere. I bet he/she is sporting a nice 3 tat too! :yesshake:

Also, with Austin Dillon's car in that pic, the "3" on Dale's car leaned one way on one side of the car and the other way on the other side of the car. As an aside, that car just doesn't look right with that "stylized" 3 on it.

I think the Austin Dillion fans would disagree.

Also, if the other major sports retire numbers, why not NASCAR?

Why does NASCAR have to be like other sports. Really, why do it in any sport? :scratch:

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
[sarcasm]While they are at it they better retire the 2 and 15 since Earnhardt drove those numbers as well[/sarcasm]

If NASCAR didn't retire a number for Joe Weatherly or Fireball Roberts or any other driver killed in the sport, then why do it for Earnhardt.

Les2

Oct 26, 2008
[sarcasm]While they are at it they better retire the 2 and 15 since Earnhardt drove those numbers as well[/sarcasm]

If NASCAR didn't retire a number for Joe Weatherly or Fireball Roberts or any other driver killed in the sport, then why do it for Earnhardt.

Because they all think he's special.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well what about retiring the color black? No more black cars. :rolleyes: Seems the same to me.

And frankly I don't think Dale should make the first round. But I believe he will, which I understand.

fishy

Dec 2, 2008
Up heah in Maine
Because they all think he's special.

That's true, I think he was very special and I haven't followed any other driver since like I followed him. But, I think retiring numbers is wrong and foolish. I think Kevin Harvick should have jumped into the 3 and gone on to win with it at Atlanta. We'd already lost a great driver, why lose the number? It was Childress' number when he raced and if Austin or Ty Dillon progresses to the Cup level and wants to race ol' grandpappys number, and ol' grandpappy wants them to, then they ought to be able to do it.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I also agree not to retire the number. If we start doing that I want Mark's #6 retired because he made that car what it is.

And ill also agree Earnhardt shouldnt be in the first or even the 2nd year of the HOF. I think Earnhardt gets a lot of undeserved praise and its only because hes dead.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
No im not new to this. Are you?

I dont think Earnhardt deserves to be the #1 racing driver of all time as some media lists have put him. I certainly dont think hes the #1 Nascar driver of all time which some media outlets put him. I dont think he was the strong vocal leader of the garage area that some have labelled him as. He was very selfish on the race track and he was an asshole to the media when it suited him. I know some fans love that kind of attitude but I dont.

I compare this to the Senna syndrome in F1. People label Senna as this magician of a champion. He was a fantastic driver no question but there are people he even raced against who were better. Its the same with Earnhardt, and ill let you figure out what the common denomenator is.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
#1 certainly not. Top #5, perhaps. He certainly deserves a consideration in the first round. I'll agree to disagree with you on this one.

And, by the way, the 'new to the sport' comment is simply a joke. Perhaps I didn't use the correct smiley. Don't take offense. We are not all going to agree on things otherwise we'd all be like a field or 43 Mark Martins on the track all yielding to the next post. And, no offense to Mark Martin fans. :pokey: