Why is iPod so difficult?

GordyMac

Jan 19, 2009
www.droidtvforum.com
Why do they make it so easy to click and drag songs over to your iPod but to remove it you gotta do a few crazy steps.. why don't they just allow in iTunes to drag the music back off of it?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
What do you mean drag the music back off of it?...:scratch:

Are you talking about taking music off your iPod? If that's the case, just delete the songs off your playlist and then re-sync your iPod.

I hope that helps...:)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The way you could do that is create a playlist (not a SMART playlist), drag the songs you want, then hit delete when you want them off the iPod. Then drag the other songs you want which will add on the next sync. Or you could create a smart playlist of your favorite songs, and have it only play the highly rated stuff.

GordyMac

Jan 19, 2009
www.droidtvforum.com
I tried to resync but it didnt.. I ended up just going in through my computer and taking copying them to the harddrive, then when you load them back into iTunes, it renames them back to artist - song.mp3.. only bad thing is it just puts them in weird folders while it does this..

I'll try it out again if I ever have to

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I tried to resync but it didnt.. I ended up just going in through my computer and taking copying them to the harddrive, then when you load them back into iTunes, it renames them back to artist - song.mp3.. only bad thing is it just puts them in weird folders while it does this..

I'll try it out again if I ever have to

Are you syncing all your content on to the iPod or do you have select playlists, er, selected to be synced on to a smaller ipod? Make sure the playlist you want has a checkmark to sync.

deezee

Oct 15, 2008
I use this software for the Ipod to sync to Windows Media Player. All my files are mp3 so it works great.
MGTEK

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
You can set the iPod to manual sync. When you do that, connect it to iTunes and click on the iPod in the left pane. You can then click on the music folder just below your iPod and delete whatever you want right on the iPod.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah trying to do automatic syncing will drive one crazy, unless you do the playlist thing. For as much as I like playlist, I hate using that method to sync my iPod though. I actually found a way to do it automatically, but by putting a check in front off all the music I want it to sync. If I want to remove music, I just uncheck it and resync and BAM it is gone. The only issue with this is when you add music to iTunes if you don't want it on the iPod, you have to remember to go uncheck it because the next time you sync it will add it. I do this with holiday music and it just works well.

The other way of course is to manage your music manually and then YES you simply drag and drop what you want on it. Or you highlight the music on your iPod you no longer want and hit delete and it is gone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah trying to do automatic syncing will drive one crazy, unless you do the playlist thing. For as much as I like playlist, I hate using that method to sync my iPod though. I actually found a way to do it automatically, but by putting a check in front off all the music I want it to sync. If I want to remove music, I just uncheck it and resync and BAM it is gone. The only issue with this is when you add music to iTunes if you don't want it on the iPod, you have to remember to go uncheck it because the next time you sync it will add it. I do this with holiday music and it just works well.

The other way of course is to manage your music manually and then YES you simply drag and drop what you want on it. Or you highlight the music on your iPod you no longer want and hit delete and it is gone.

I have the opposite opinion of the playlist method. It lets me add what I want to add, if I buy a new album from iTunes, and I want to listen to it all the way through, all I have to do is add it to the playlist for the iPod. In a way it's drag and drop but in another way it's totally automatic, since it deletes what was on the playlist and adds what is there now. I tried checking and unchecking and it just got complicated. It's nice for Holiday music for my 80GB iPod when I don't want it on there, but not much else.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have the opposite opinion of the playlist method. It lets me add what I want to add, if I buy a new album from iTunes, and I want to listen to it all the way through, all I have to do is add it to the playlist for the iPod. In a way it's drag and drop but in another way it's totally automatic, since it deletes what was on the playlist and adds what is there now. I tried checking and unchecking and it just got complicated. It's nice for Holiday music for my 80GB iPod when I don't want it on there, but not much else.

That is the beauty of the iPod and iTunes we can each use whatever way best fits for out needs. I don't see checking and unchecking being complicated as it seems pretty simple to me. Doing playlist would mean I'd have a load of playlist and then I have to manage what I'd want in those playlist for it to make any sense. Just throwing stuff in a playlist to put it on the device seems rather unthoughtful and messy to me, but different strokes for different folks! :)