Why does Sirius channel 39 still say Pop2K on my radio?

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Are they ever going to get around to changing this, or does this mean that the return of Backspin is temporary?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Is there some sort of technical reason why this is so difficult for Sirius? XM seems to be capable of changing channel names on a whim.

Yes. XM's system is dynamic. A channel can be added, deleted, renamed at a moment's notice without skipping a beat on the radio.

Sirius uses different technology. The channel map needs to be reloaded into the receiver's memory. When the sats have a different map, the receiver stops everything and updates the channel mapping from the sats. This usually results in 5 minutes of silence. Thiis happens when the radio is turned on. As a result, they got complaints from Stern listeners who missed the first 5 minutes of his show. It also had some issues with Ford OEM Sirius radios.

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Yes. XM's system is dynamic. A channel can be added, deleted, renamed at a moment's notice without skipping a beat on the radio.

Sirius uses different technology. The channel map needs to be reloaded into the receiver's memory. When the sats have a different map, the receiver stops everything and updates the channel mapping from the sats. This usually results in 5 minutes of silence. Thiis happens when the radio is turned on. As a result, they got complaints from Stern listeners who missed the first 5 minutes of his show. It also had some issues with Ford OEM Sirius radios.

Thanks for the information.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
It will be awhile as the others have stated.

It is just not at the top of their priority list.

siriusfan

Nov 5, 2008
There is another channel merge coming up regarding news channels, correct? If that is the case, I wonder if they are holding up on a channel update til then?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
This really is sad. I've emailed people about this and keep hoping something will happen. Status quo but not a good one at all. So bummed out in whomever is in charge of this aspect of the SIRIUS Service.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This really is sad. I've emailed people about this and keep hoping something will happen. Status quo but not a good one at all. So bummed out in whomever is in charge of this aspect of the SIRIUS Service.

I think they are right on par with the SL2 logos and SL2 memory corruption departments.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was talking to my sister yesterday and she commented on how she used to really like Pop2K, but lately they've been playing really weird music. I had to explain to her that while it still said Pop2K, it was actually Backspin. Pretty ridiculous that they can't update the channel names if they're going to change the programming so drastically.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If they can't update the radios on a regular basis, they should just give us all XM radios, since they apparently can update on the fly.

...Brings me to my next point. I know not all radios can be left on overnight, but I bet that 75% can. I leave mine on overnight, and when I wake up, it's automatically correct. I can't be the only genius in the group, can I? :clueless:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
...Brings me to my next point. I know not all radios can be left on overnight, but I bet that 75% can. I leave mine on overnight, and when I wake up, it's automatically correct. I can't be the only genius in the group, can I? :clueless:

Say what?

You leave your on overnight and when you wake up it is automatically correct? What does that mean?

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
My S-50 has been solid as a rock for over a year and there's no way I'm going to risk messing with it by connecting it to the PC.

I'll keep the incorrect tag.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Say what?

You leave your on overnight and when you wake up it is automatically correct? What does that mean?

I think he is saying that on the 3 or for times an eon that Sirius does a channel update, he leaves his unit on overnight so he does not have to wait 5 minutes when he wakes up in the morning for it to do its update. I do the same thing although I leave mine on everynight. Recordings tend to work better when the unit is on in my experience.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think he is saying that on the 3 or for times an eon that Sirius does a channel update, he leaves his unit on overnight so he does not have to wait 5 minutes when he wakes up in the morning for it to do its update. I do the same thing although I leave mine on everynight. Recordings tend to work better when the unit is on in my experience.

Oh Okay!

I think the real issue is that each time they do these channel mapping updates some of the OEM tuners have real issues. This is why they limit how often they do it. In the early days before they had OEM tuners it was nothing for us to get 4 to 5 updates a year.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Correct.

When Sirius does a channel update, I leave my radio on. (Actually, I leave it on most every night as it is.) When I wake up in the morning, everything is correct. I may have to update a few presets, but it's no big deal.

I realize not everyone can leave their radios on overnight, but I recommend it for those radios that can be left on.