Why do we pay to listen to these simpering DJ's?

Do you want to listen to DJ's on PAY Radio?

• No, I've lost enough brain cells listening to my co-workers.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Maybe, it's fun listening to blathering idiots, it makes me feel superior.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Yes, I'm looking forward to losing my mind, it makes life simpler.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Definitely yes, I have no life and live vicariously through the DJ's.

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

WYAdams

Mar 16, 2009
So I've had XM radio for several years, listening to commercial (and most importantly, DJ free) music. Suddenly they merge with Sirius, and instantly I begin to here these simpering DJ's telling us things about their personal lives about which I don't care.

Who cares what they did over the weekend, or where they were when they first heard this song, or ...Blah, Blah, Blah...

In fact, I just cancelled my subscription to Sirius/XM radio. I can listen to this BS for free on my local stations.

No wonder they couldn't make a go of it.

Get rid of the blabbering DJ's and give us music. If we want to listen to brain dead DJ's, we have tons of local FREE stations on the dial.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Simple:

With the SIRIUS DJ's, they make it about them.

With the XM DJ's, they always made it about the music.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome WY!

I kind of like to hear a little bit of talk. But would rather that it's about the music, what the band is doing, new CD's, tours, that kind of thing.

If it's about their weekend, or other BS, it needs to be very brief.

Really, the only thing I'm not 100% sold on Slacker over, is that there is 0 chat, but I do understand the mechanics of it.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
You know you could ask this same question with Cable Or Satellite TV about the commercials but no one ever does. Its actually kind of accepted nowadays.

Dragline

Nov 12, 2008
You know you could ask this same question with Cable Or Satellite TV about the commercials but no one ever does. Its actually kind of accepted nowadays.

True. But at least with Cable or Satellite TV, the commercials don't play over top of the shows. ;)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
With slacker (and a paid plus or premium subscription) you do have the option of shutting the DJs up yourself by turning that option on or off. With a service like slacker or pandora, you can get whatever information you like from their database or the all music guide. Last.fm iPhone app even tells you if the particular band is on tour or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
I admit I get annoyed on occasion with yappy DJs and ones that talk over the beginnings and ends of songs.

But for the most part, I enjoy a bit of chatter between songs. If I wanted to hear precisely 1.5 seconds of silence between each tune, I'd quit Sirius and buy an iPod. Then I'd use what I was paying for the satrad subscription to bolster my music library.

satrad65

Oct 14, 2008
Georgia
Some of the DJs are less intrusive, such as the ones on Deep Tracks. The poll makes it seem like if you want to listen to DJs they are all blathering idiots, which is not so.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
The poll makes it seem like if you want to listen to DJs they are all blathering idiots, which is not so.

Especially on the Symphony channel.

On the channels I listen to, I love the DJs and it would be a shame if they went away.

WYAdams

Mar 16, 2009
XM didn't have this problem

I listened to XM for several years before it merged with Sirius, and it had minimal intrusion by DJ's (almost none at all). Then came the merger and the flood of yammering, insipid DJ's. Frankly I could care less when someone first heard a particular album, or what he was doing at the time, or ...blah, blah, blah...

I can only conclude that this is the fault of Sirius. Perhaps those who listen to Sirius enjoy this kind of programming, but I am willing to bet that XM listeners do not.

And, yes, most of the DJ's are yammering fools with very little to say that is constructive, or interesting. I cancelled my subscription because I don't need to pay to listen to this garbage.

WYAdams

Mar 16, 2009
1.5 Seconds of Silence?

If I wanted to hear precisely 1.5 seconds of silence between each tune, I'd quit Sirius and buy an iPod.

1.5 seconds of silence? I don't know what Sirius was doing, but there was no 1.5 seconds of silence between songs on XM. Even if there was, can you not tolerate even a second and a half of silence in your life? That's a sad commentary on our society.

W. Adams

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I listened to XM for several years before it merged with Sirius, and it had minimal intrusion by DJ's (almost none at all). Then came the merger and the flood of yammering, insipid DJ's. Frankly I could care less when someone first heard a particular album, or what he was doing at the time, or ...blah, blah, blah...

I can only conclude that this is the fault of Sirius. Perhaps those who listen to Sirius enjoy this kind of programming, but I am willing to bet that XM listeners do not.

And, yes, most of the DJ's are yammering fools with very little to say that is constructive, or interesting. I cancelled my subscription because I don't need to pay to listen to this garbage.

I know almost all of you do not want to hear an Opie, Anthony and Jimmy story ( ;) ). This morning, they were really slamming how the DJ format is now saying back in the XM days, the DJ's were there but did not make it about them. It WAS more of a unique and classy feel when the XM DJ's were on and did not mirror FM radio. Jimmy says he hates it now when the DJ's talk over the music and can see the reason why some people are moving to IPODS now. They basically said shut T.F.U. :rofl2: If I am guaging correctly, this replay will be on around 5:00pm or so today. (XM202 / SIRIUS 197 via the Best Of XM) It was great to hear them be honest about this.

jnockels

Mar 1, 2009
Yankton, SD
I like having DJs on Sirius. It brings more of a human element to the radio.

Mark Goodman and Martha Quinn are fun to listen to on 80s on 8; quick song intros without the "wackiness and yuk" of local commercial DJs.