Why do they all hate Jackie?

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I have a theory.

While Fred and Robin never fought to make more money, Jackie did.

Fred and Robin had Don Buchwald as their agent. Who do you think Don is going to fight for harder? Howard or Fred and Robin?

Jackie was the only one that didn't fall into that trap. The only thing he is guilty of is valuing his own work. He knows that he could get more money so why not?

Why is Howard the only one allowed to demand more money? For Howard to be angry at Jackie for wanting money is ridiculous.

Anyone else agree?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I think that Fred and Robin are pretty well taken care of by Buchwald.

From the money angle, they hate Jackie because he made every contract negotiation a pain in the ass. Walking off the show, putting up a piece of cardboard so the E! cameras couldn't film him, etc.

Fred also hates him because he wasn't a generous guy. Jackie BossHogged his way into the "Head Writer" slot, and insisted on approving every line Fred wrote for Howard rather than letting Howard decide. He's been pretty open about why he doesn't like Jackie - I don't remember the exact shows, but I think it came up a few time shortly before Jackie came back into the studio, and before one of the roasts.

Robin hates Jackie because of things like the show walkoffs. She sees that as a betrayal to Howard. They all tried to pull together and do the best they could for the show, but Jackie was all about Jackie. Maybe if it was the "Jackie" show, that would be fine - but since it wasn't, all it did was add tension and dissent as everyone else worked through their money issues quietly.

There are probably a bunch of other things in dealing with him on a day to day basis that also grated on them. After 9 years without it, they have decided they don't really want to deal with it anymore.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

I think that Fred and Robin are pretty well taken care of by Buchwald.

From the money angle, they hate Jackie because he made every contract negotiation a pain in the ass. Walking off the show, putting up a piece of cardboard so the E! cameras couldn't film him, etc.

Fred also hates him because he wasn't a generous guy. Jackie BossHogged his way into the "Head Writer" slot, and insisted on approving every line Fred wrote for Howard rather than letting Howard decide. He's been pretty open about why he doesn't like Jackie - I don't remember the exact shows, but I think it came up a few time shortly before Jackie came back into the studio, and before one of the roasts.

Robin hates Jackie because of things like the show walkoffs. She sees that as a betrayal to Howard. They all tried to pull together and do the best they could for the show, but Jackie was all about Jackie. Maybe if it was the "Jackie" show, that would be fine - but since it wasn't, all it did was add tension and dissent as everyone else worked through their money issues quietly.

There are probably a bunch of other things in dealing with him on a day to day basis that also grated on them. After 9 years without it, they have decided they don't really want to deal with it anymore.

So then explain their undying love for artie, with the exception of holding out for more money artie was as big a pain in the azz as anyone who ever entered that studio.

And before you tell me how generous artie was let me remind you that he announced every good deed he ever did by embarrassing the person on live radio with his acts of kindness.

IMO the tension Jackie created helped make the show the success it was. The show has been in a steady decline for a very long time.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
So then explain their undying love for artie, with the exception of holding out for more money artie was as big a pain in the azz as anyone who ever entered that studio.

Because a pain in the ass is subjective. I don't hear Artie bitching if he doesn't get his 8 AM plug. I don't hear Artie calling Howard a Jew when they go to lunch together. And who said their love was undying? He's caused them issues, too, sure - maybe just not as many as Jackie yet. Jackie apparently was a much bigger pain in the ass with his shenanigans than Artie is, at least up until this point.

And before you tell me how generous artie was let me remind you that he announced every good deed he ever did by embarrassing the person on live radio with his acts of kindness.

Never said whether Artie was generous or not. I'm talking about Jackie and Fred, and I'm not talking about money generosity, I'm talking more about professional and personal generosity. I'm talking about Jackie having to be the gatekeeper for every joke offered up to Howard under the guise of the "head writer" job. Jackie was his own best audience - you can hear it in every show - and I'm sure more Jackie lines made it to Howard than Fred lines did.

IMO the tension Jackie created helped make the show the success it was. The show has been in a steady decline for a very long time.

The Jackie tension was only a part of the show - personally, I think the show sounds just fine as it is without it. Has it's ups and downs every day, just like it always has. (Edit to say except for all the Benjy this week. Enough already :D )

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'll miss Artie on the show and from what I've heard on the HHS specials, I hope Jackie never comes back. Even for an interview.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Hackie was too funny for the show. Light years ahead of his time.

Heee heee hoooo hawwww.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
For me, the Stern Show is in many ways a microcosm of what it's like with fellow co-workers, past and present. So, Jackie was that guy who was valuable but also a tremendous pain in the ass. He was part of a team, yet when he was needed, he decided to no-show. His humor was often flat but that too was hilarious. The rest of them often take themselves too seriously, especially nowadays. It's unfortunate that Joke Hunt is as bad as it is, because I really don't think it's a reflection of just what Jackie meant to the Stern Show.

The show is "different" enough that I don't think Jackie could fit in full-time, but I'd like to see him try it out and maybe shake things up a bit.

For the amount of trash-talking they do of Jackie, followed by, "But we love Jackie," I think even the rest of the crew fails to remember that Jackie made them better in many ways.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Because a pain in the ass is subjective. I don't hear Artie bitching if he doesn't get his 8 AM plug. I don't hear Artie calling Howard a Jew when they go to lunch together. And who said their love was undying? He's caused them issues, too, sure - maybe just not as many as Jackie yet. Jackie apparently was a much bigger pain in the ass with his shenanigans than Artie is, at least up until this point.

Never said whether Artie was generous or not. I'm talking about Jackie and Fred, and I'm not talking about money generosity, I'm talking more about professional and personal generosity. I'm talking about Jackie having to be the gatekeeper for every joke offered up to Howard under the guise of the "head writer" job. Jackie was his own best audience - you can hear it in every show - and I'm sure more Jackie lines made it to Howard than Fred lines did.

The Jackie tension was only a part of the show - personally, I think the show sounds just fine as it is without it. Has it's ups and downs every day, just like it always has. (Edit to say except for all the Benjy this week. Enough already :D )

Then I guess it is all subjective, I dont see how you can weigh one against the other and not think artie and his antics were not as much a distraction to the show as anything Jackie did. JMO but drug addicts are more sad then funny. At least Jackie made me laugh, cant say as much for artie.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Then I guess it is all subjective, I dont see how you can weigh one against the other and not think artie and his antics were not as much a distraction to the show as anything Jackie did. JMO but drug addicts are more sad then funny. At least Jackie made me laugh, cant say as much for artie.

Well yeah - no matter who you or I or anyone else likes or thinks is funny, it all comes down to how the folks in the studio feel about it. Obviously Jackie had a lot more time to get on their nerves, too, so that probably has something to do with it.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I think it was a matter of Jackie being perceived as disloyal to the show (per Robin and Fred). Artie is a lot more of a sad sack, and even if he does not show up, I feel that Robin and Fred are PISSED (although they keep it quiet). And they already know that Artie has huge problems, so they are professional to a point and they don't want to react in a polarizing manner that can exacerbate this mess that they all are in.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I can understand why they hate jackie in a business sense. but why do they seem to hate him personally???

also, whats the harm of bringing jackie in for a few shows when the majority of the audience and even howard seem to be leaning towards this?

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map

maybe the difference in care for the show back then vs now.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I can understand why they hate jackie in a business sense. but why do they seem to hate him personally???

also, whats the harm of bringing jackie in for a few shows when the majority of the audience and even howard seem to be leaning towards this?

Perhaps they're trying to create a buzz? Perhaps laying down some fabricated tensions? Maybe they're not sure as to what the fuck they're going to do?

I say let Jackie sit in on whatever day he also does the Joke Hunt. Once a week to see how it goes. Then when Howard's contract is over, they can all turn out the lights.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I heard Fred's little hissy fit yesterday and while I always have been a Fred fan, I lost some respect for him after his tantrum. The reasoning he had about not rewarding SFN by having Jackie in was fucking retarded. Fred said they take credit for influencing the show, but when they make scenes like that, no wonder that relatively small segment of the audience is filled with such phony self importance.

Markz

Jan 8, 2009
Northern NJ
I heard Fred's little hissy fit yesterday and while I always have been a Fred fan, I lost some respect for him after his tantrum. The reasoning he had about not rewarding SFN by having Jackie in was fucking retarded. Fred said they take credit for influencing the show, but when they make scenes like that, no wonder that relatively small segment of the audience is filled with such phony self importance.
What is good for the show should not ever be left up to the common listener. There would be no more show.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
What is good for the show should not ever be left up to the common listener. There would be no more show.

Agreed - especially the people at SFN. Howard did fine before the internet. Everyone is so quick to plop Jackie back in the studio - how many of you want to work with the assholes you've been employed with over the years again?
So maybe they need some new form of tension or conflict - I can see an argument for that, even though I don't agree. But why does it have to come from the Jokeman*?

*whose JokeHunt I listen to almost every week, so I don't even have a hatred for him. I just don't want him back on the Howard Stern Show.