Why cant they play the Nascar Talk shows on Sirius Online?

thegame310

Oct 13, 2008
I understand why they are not able to play the live races and incar stuff, but why not just have the talk shows on Sirius Online, and then the races or anything like that come on, just black it out?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I hate it too as I'm sure many othe people do! but from what I've heard its all about sirius having to pay an additional licence fee to NASCAR. Good point about playing everything but the races. I wonder if its ever been floated around.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
NASCAR.com (which is run by turner interactive) owns all rights to anything online branded wih the name NASCAR. Sirius talked to them and they want an arm and a leg essentially to let sirius run their talk shows only.(Moody has said this on air).

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Change the name to Sirius "Stock Car" Radio on Channel 128?? :Smiley_wink:
Doubt that would work. All well, money makes the world go round. :(

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
Today is a perfectly good reason why they need to stream the shows online. I have basicially got the "acquiring signal" message for the first hour and half of sirius speedway and its really ticking me off. Here's hoping I can pick up the replay show later tonight.

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
I would love it as I am a MD fan and only get to listen to the boys for 1/2 hr and miss so much, I know some guy has recorded "Bam Margera's" show and streams it after the fact ( I forget the URL though...not listening to the Jack*** anymore), but it would be a very good idea. Bags and Poole are funny, soothing, witty, at times edgy, and just a great twosome to listen to when you are going to a place where you really don't want to be going to.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Change the name to Sirius "Stock Car" Radio on Channel 128??
Doubt that would work.

I've been saying the same thing for a year now. If there were a show on one of the "sports" channels and that show talks about nascar, couldn't that show be streamed online?

How could it cause legal troubles? There's other shows online that talk nascar. Don't have "nascar" in the name of the show.

Dave Moody

Oct 14, 2008
Barre, VT
www.sirius-speedway.com
If there were a show on one of the "sports" channels and that show talks about nascar, couldn't that show be streamed online? How could it cause legal troubles? There's other shows online that talk nascar. Don't have "nascar" in the name of the show.

We have talked about this frequently over the last couple of years, but here's the explanation again, in a nutshell. Regardless of the names of its individual programs Sirius NASCAR Radio is a NASCAR-branded product. Turner Sports (owners of NASCAR.com) holds the exclusive rights to stream all NASCAR-branded content on the internet. Sirius has attempted to negotiate a reasonable deal with Turner to put our talkshows on the worldwide web, but has unfortunately been unable to do so.

I have had dozens of conversations with the folks at Sirius World Headquarters in NYC about this, and believe me when I say that they would LOVE to be able to add an online component for everyone to enjoy. It's simply not possible right now.

And for the record, changing the name to Sirius Stock Car Radio is not an option.

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
But Dave, what if Speedway was on a general sports channel and not on the "nascar" channel?

And I know you get tired of explaining this......so thanks again.