Who Uses an SCVDOC1? or SCHDOC1?

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
scvdoc1-w-sp5_thumb.jpg

How many people use the SCVDOC1? I was curious, these are rare to hear about and I wonder what people thought of them. Let me know your thoughts for mine and maybe others curiosity,Thanks!

schdoc1-w-starmate4_thumb.jpg

or the SCHDOC1?

Even opinions on them are more than welcome

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I'm curious about the SCHDOC1... If you have one, I would like to know what receiver you use, if said receiver displays the full ID tags with no cut-offs (character limit), number of available preset slots, ease of use, and the sound quality. I'm thinking of buying one of these when I get a new surround sound system and whatever the next Sirius portable is going to be.

Maybe the fine gentlemen at TSS might be able to answer some of these questions (in which case I ask for your recommendation on a good surround system that is Sirius ready). :)

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm a huge fan of this option for Sirius in your vehicle or home.
Basically using one of these two docks will take any of you newer plug and play radios and turn it into a tuner.

Say for example you are installing Sirius into your vehicle on a Sirius ready Kenwood headunit. There are two components to this, the Kenwood specific translator and the tuner.
What a lot of people know about is the SCC1 tuner which is a vehicle specific tuner that mounts in your vehicle and prvides the satellite signal for the translator to decode. The SCVDOC1 is basically a dock that goes into your glove compartment and is attached to the translator. When you get in your vehicle, you dock your Sportster 5 or whatever radio you have and it becomes a slave to the SCVDOC1 and becomes the tuner. This is such a great option because you don't have to add a subscription to your account like you would have to on the SCC1.

Same goes for the SCHDOC1. It will replace the SCH1 as your home tuner for any Sirius ready home A/V receiver.

Basically if you have any Sirius ready receiver in your car or in your home and you already have a Sirius Plug-n-Play receiver I strongly recommend this route.

A quick warning though.... When you dock your pnp receiver into either the SCVDOC1 or SCHDOC1, you loose any special features the PNP had. So if you are using this with a Stiletto 2, you won't be able to access any recordings or use the "love it" button. The PNP simply becomes a simple tuner.

So yeah, I love them. I wish more people knew about them because they are an excellent way to get Sirius in your car or home.

Last edited:

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
A quick warning though.... When you dock your pnp receiver into either the SCVDOC1 or SCHDOC1, you loose any special features the PNP had. So if you are using this with a Stiletto 2, you won't be able to access any recordings or use the "love it" button. The PNP simply becomes a simple tuner.

Actually, you don't lose all the functions. Depending on the head unit, if your PNP has a pause and record function, the head unit will duplicate the pause and record. It is true that you cannot access recorded songs or shows on the stiletto, but pause and record is there (at least on my Alpine it is).

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Actually, you don't lose all the functions. Depending on the head unit, if your PNP has a pause and record function, the head unit will duplicate the pause and record. It is true that you cannot access recorded songs or shows on the stiletto, but pause and record is there (at least on my Alpine it is).

Awesome. I've heard of that being possible but have never heard of a practical application. What kind of Alpine headunit do you have?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CDA-9887

It's last year's model, but it's a great unit. I love the iPod integration. Use it with an Alpine 40x4 amplifier and Infinity Kappas all around.

My Alpine Navigation Headunit supports the Replay Function with the SCVDOC1. I don't use the SCVDOC1 though since I use a SIRIUS Traffic Tuner that allows me to get SIRIUS Travel Link :)

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
That's another thing I don't hear much on is the Travel Link, or the Marine Weather Service for that matter

I don't think some people realize they could get Travel link on their Aftermarket headunit or they are not aware of the qualities it has, its a pretty sweet setup.

holio

Nov 12, 2008
I use the SCVDOC1 in my uncle's 2008 Acura TL w/o tech package along with the HONSC1. The TL comes standard with XM, so this setup is in place of that.

These options do exactly what they say and the integration is very easily setup in the trunk (30 mins) and controlled via the headunit. No fuss, no muss. The problem is that the HONSC1 keeps dying on me. I've already replaced one that died outright and I think I am about to try with a second. Very frustrating, I'm not sure how much longer I want to go through this pain.

If the product did not keep seizing I would be a happy camper.

holio