Who needs an interlopable radio?

dZilla

Oct 17, 2008
Cold North
Umm I don't even know if the term interlopable radio is correct.... ha ha, but who needs a radio that can play both stations?

They can obviously send both stations to either type of listener XM or Sirius as they have combined many of the music channels? I don't get what the big hoop hoop was from before?

Now were they concerned (pre merg) a Sirius AND Xm Subscriber getting their content on one machine?

I don't get it...

Audio Snob

Nov 12, 2008
More bandwidth please
Well it would be nice if they could use just one stream per channel and map both XM and Sirius receivers to tune to that stream instead of duplicating everything and using up twice the bandwidth.

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
The whole merger is a sham. Anyone who buys one of those interoperable radios or dual subs anymore is just wasting their money. It's all beyond retarded

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The whole merger is a sham. Anyone who buys one of those interoperable radios or dual subs anymore is just wasting their money. It's all beyond retarded

Or they have their portable and their car with different providers and are screwed.

The interoperable radio will be offered as per FCC requirement. Then they will likely offer more radios on the system they will operate in 15 years and ignore the other one waiting for radios to become obsolete.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I was thinking about getting one down the road, but now since they merge quite a bit channels together, why bother now. Hell the next update in January, could possibly be more merging channels together?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I was thinking about getting one down the road, but now since they merge quite a bit channels together, why bother now. Hell the next update in January, could possibly be more merging channels together?

The January merge will likely be channel numbers and maybe the talk channels (left/right on both services) as well as the traffic channels.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The January merge will likely be channel numbers and maybe the talk channels (left/right on both services) as well as the traffic channels.

That would be cool, but less channels maybe better sound quality? But now since they merge are there supposedly to be new channels that both services never really had before?

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
I thought a la carte was supposed to be setup where I could pick 50 channels I wanted to listen to for $6.99.

I don't care if they merge Sirius with a pine tree as long as I don't have to pay $24? (2 subs) for the 4 or 5 channels I actually listen to.

As for the radios. They could tell me the new ones magically make my pet gerbel orgasm for all I know about electronics.

If they've got the witchcraft to set up my package to not recieve Playboy radio, than they've had the capability all along to choose specific channels I receive.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's a way to sell new radios. If they can choose to not send me Playboy channel or send Best Of channels they've already got the capability to provide specific channels on my radio.

At Sirius.com notice the a la carte pricing. $12.95 for 50 channels and Howard. Or $12.95 for 50 channels, Howard, and sports. Then $.25 for each additional channel. WTF? I can get all the channels now for $12.95.

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
All I know is I will never buy a interlopable radio, but will consider possibly checking out a interoperable radio.

Nov 6, 2008
I thought a la carte was supposed to be setup where I could pick 50 channels I wanted to listen to for $6.99.

I don't care if they merge Sirius with a pine tree as long as I don't have to pay $24? (2 subs) for the 4 or 5 channels I actually listen to.

As for the radios. They could tell me the new ones magically make my pet gerbel orgasm for all I know about electronics.

If they've got the witchcraft to set up my package to not recieve Playboy radio, than they've had the capability all along to choose specific channels I receive.

I wish they would do Ala Carte for XM and other Sirius Radios. They said they would do Ala Carte for both service but so far it is only for Sirius. Not being able to use an older receiver forces you to pay $130 for a receiver than is not portable. I don't want to pay for channels I don't want. If they just offered 30 or say 50 channels in some Ala Carte Plan would be great. Why should we be paying for channels we don't like or don't care about. If they can block channels from you so you can't receive them it seems like they could do Ala Carte.

Nov 13, 2008
I was just thinking that myself. Why have it when most of the channels are shared between the two services now? I guess that those radio will go to the hardcores.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
God dammit why can't they figure out something that makes sense????

Nov 13, 2008
God dammit why can't they figure out something that makes sense????

This is probably why Sirius and XM agree to the dual radio thing. Deep down they know that the channels were going to merge and the demand for this type of radio would be so low after this fact.