Who has a Wii?

Discussion in 'Games & Consoles' started by MM, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

Just got mine today. I have Rock Band, Zelda, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros.
  2. MM

MM Administrator

Where did you find one?
  3. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

Best Buy. Funny thing is they keep them behind the counters because they've had a bunch of people stealing them. :jj:
  4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Like I said earlier, Fry's had stacks of them last week. Ask around; it seems the drought may be over.
  5. AlbanyHDTV

AlbanyHDTV New Member

I purchased a Wii at Best Buy last week for $249. It will be the "family" Christmas gift, but I tried it out with Tiger Woods '09 yesterday. I really like it, but I am an avid golfer.

I also purchased a component video cord for $6 that enables 480p output to your HDTV. There was a noticeable benefit to the picture quality, IMO.

Does anyone have any experience with the High School Musical: Sing It game that comes with a wireless mic? I have a 9 year old daughter who is into all the High School Musical stuff and the game is on sale at Toys r Us for $19.99 today.
  6. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

gamerankings.com is the shrine of game reviews. Be careful of games like that since they have 25year old guys beating up on a 9year old girl's game. Check it out. There's a couple gems that are out there for cheap for the WII AND the component cable is a must have for TVs over 32inches. WII Sports even looks way better.
  7. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Boom Blox. Produced by Stephen Speilberg is supposed to be the most addicting game since tetris. Check that one out if you need a family one that won't make the male adults heave from being to cheesey
  8. AlbanyHDTV

AlbanyHDTV New Member

$34.99 on eBay, free shipping. Use 25% Microsoft LIVE cashback to get it for $26.24 delivered to your door.
  9. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

We don't own any gaming consoles.

My boy just turned three and we are not sure if we are ready to go down that road, but I have been told that there are some great games for young kids on Wii
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  10. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Wii's are available all over the place. BB, CC.... everywhere here in the NE.
  11. MM

MM Administrator

Does the Wii use HDMI?
  12. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

No...composite or component only. The highest resolution the Wii uses is 480p.
  13. Milamber

Milamber New Member

Got one last X-mas (wasn't easy) and it's pretty fun, but I mostly play the sports package (boxing, bowling, baseball, golf, etc).

I would recommend getting a couple of the controllers, but make sure you get the little handle thing and the corded part (I can't think of what they're called).
  14. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have Boom Blox for the Wii? I am thinking of getting it for the boy for Christmas.
  15. MoeSyslack

MoeSyslack Member

Would anybody that has Mario Kart be interested in traded friend codes to race online? I love racing online, it is totally addicting.
  16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I will the next time I see my code. Mario Kart is the best.
  17. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Still stuck on Bully. Once you play it for 10 or so hrs you can just pick it up for 15min and blast through some stuff and off you go. Addicting.

Looking into the Boom Blox myself. Also some virtual console games look good.
  18. MoeSyslack

MoeSyslack Member

Here is my code if anybody wants to add me. 5026 7822 7525
  19. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Call of Duty world at war is a good online game for the wii, if you dont own a 360 to play it on, it fullfils the needs to kill people pretty well. :D

Also, casual gaming fans might enjoy Animal Crossing, City folk. I had it for the gamecube and DS, and the wii version is not a huge upgrade in feature sets, so if you've played the others and got bored with it, You might want to hold off on the wii one, but I still think it's fun and all. My ex got me into the game, and I feel like a dork playing it, but it can be fun.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Member

I waited in line for a Wii for 13hrs at a Target to pick one up on launch day. It was a fun experience but in reality not that great of a decision. I have

Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, WarioWare, Wii Fit, Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Link's Crossbow Training. That was some freebie game they stuck in with the Wii Blaster that I have yet to find any ultimate purpose for.

I have found the Wii to have some ok 1st part titles but the rest is just some sort of gimicky console that replaces button mashing with hand waving. The only real use that it gets is when someone comes over and is like "You have a Wii?!?! Can I play?!?!" I am like sure have at it.

The online experience is rather lame where you need to right down these 16 or 12 digit codes to get a hold of people that I have always found rather lame.

Example Scenario.

Me: Hey dude we should play some Smash Brothers Brawl! What's your friend code?
    Them: Umm I have no idea I will need to get it for you. Write it down and send it to you.

I have never seen this happen.

Them: Hey lets play some smash brothers.
    Me: Sure my Wii Friend Code is 5651-4193-4958-5574 and my Smash brothers Code is 0774-3964-7594.

It never seems to pan out like that and the lack of any real online community for the Wii is rather annoying since your friends list doesn't persist from game to game because you are always getting new ID's for every game. This is where the XBOX really did it for me was you get one Gamertag and you use it for every game on the system. You have a built in community and you can voicechat and do what you need to do.

The Wii is cool because well it's a little different but without the horsepower to accomplish anything that is awesome besides waving a controller around I haven't seen it as really that great of a machine to play games on.

Kinda like the PS3 I have the community on the XBOX360 so the Playstation 3 is for the cool factor and for playing Blu-Ray's. I would have never picked up the Playstation 3 really if HD-DVD would have taken off. =)

But as far as the Wii is concerned it's great for what it is but just doesn't have what it needs to be #1 in my book.