Who Am I? Week #564

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Welcome to the 564th edition of Who Am I?, the weekly game where I dish out a daily clue to a subject and you have to guess who or what it is.

Every day, the clues get easier. The winner of this week's game gets a piece of my gratitude.

This week's subject is a TITLE.

CLUE #1: I was recorded in the 1960s.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
It falls upon me – Ouch! That hurts! – to correct Mister Hectic. Bill Haley & His Comets recorded Rock Around The Clock on April 12, 1954, during their first recording session for Decca Records in New York. The song was released in May 1954 but failed to chart. After being played during the opening credits of the movie Blackboard Jungle, released in March 1955, Rock Around The Clock was re-released and wound up spending eight weeks at number one on the Billboard Top 100. The song also became a top-40 hit in 1974 after being featured in the 1973 movie American Graffiti and being used as the theme song of the Happy Days television series. (The version used for Happy Days was a re-recorded version, not the original single. Haley died in 1981.)

And now for my official guess: this song by SSgt Barry Sadler that spent five weeks at number one in March-April 1966:

Reactions: sadchild

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The Strawberry Alarm Clock formed in 1967 in my home town of Glendale, California. John Carter, who had written That Acapulco Gold for the Rainy Daze, co-wrote Incense & Peppermints. The Strawberry Alarm Clock recorded it (with lead vocals by Greg Munford, who was in a local band called the Shapes) and released it as a single on All-American Records in April 1967. The song got a lot of airplay on top-40 stations KBLA and KRLA and became a regional hit in the Los Angeles area. The single was re-released by Uni and went to number one nationally in November.