Which TV for $1000 or less?

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
I know Panny 42" plasmas are <$1g now...any other solid contenders?

Mostly to be used for HD cable tv viewing (IO digital, Cablevision provider)

Last edited:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Now that plasmas have gotten over their faults (pixel death and high price) AND most cable is HD I'd hit it.

Regular Def looks terrible on them but that's all but over.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I know Panny 42" plasmas are <$1g now...any other solid contenders?

Mostly to be used for HD cable tv viewing (IO digital, Cablevision provider)

I have a Panny 50" with Cablevision and iO. I can't recommend it more. EXCELLENT picture, rich, realistic color. Excellent skin tones. Beautiful blacks, pure white whites.

I've had it for about 2 years now, and I still really admire the picture.

Oren

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I have a 42 inch Panasonic that we bought 2 years ago. 720 with Directv HD looks great. Get the TV ditch the cable.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I like the Samsung 6 or 7 series. LCD though. I have been shopping and looking and that is the way I will go.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Wait until after Thanksgiving. The factories have been ramping up production for a big Xmas, but Alan Greenspan killed Santa Claus. Check out Samsung and LG.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Wow, look at all of you guys with your fancy TV's, making me all jealous! I still have a freaking 6-year old Sanyo 27'' piece of crap. IronJabroni, I would NOT recommend going that route. :bigthumbup:

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
PANASONIC.

Ya want a high-quality plasma for the best bang for the buck? That's what to look at.

Oren

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Here is the best deal I have seen so far:

6th Ave is currently offering the Panasonic 42" 1080p Plasma
Television (TH-42PZ80U) for $807 w/ Free Shipping and No Tax (unless
you live in New York or New Jersey) when you use coupon code AFL5
during checkout. To get this deal, click here:
BFAds

This is the same television that Sears has in their Black Friday ad
for $899.99! Buying now through 6th Ave would save you almost $100 +
tax for people not in New York and New Jersey.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Why do you ask?

I'm writing a book. Actually, it looks like my 32" Toshiba is checking out (sometimes just sound with no picture until I unplug it and try again) and shopping for a replacement. It has 8ms response time and football can look a bit blurry...maybe it's the TV or maybe it's Cablevision. Either way I think I'll get a faster response time on the next set.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm writing a book. Actually, it looks like my 32" Toshiba is checking out (sometimes just sound with no picture until I unplug it and try again) and shopping for a replacement. It has 8ms response time and football can look a bit blurry...maybe it's the TV or maybe it's Cablevision. Either way I think I'll get a faster response time on the next set.

Find someplace local with no restocking fee, buy a new set with a faster response time and compare the pictures. You can return it once you know if the response time is at fault.

I knew a guy that bought a different set of home theater speakers from Best Buy every week for months. They had no restocking fee, so he never had to pay for them.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
$1000 for a TV. I bought my Honda Accord for $2700 dollars 3 years ago with no mechanical issues in that time. I drive 35,000 miles a year for work and that Honda's helped me make over 70 times what I paid for it.

But if the magnetic strip hasn't worn out swipe away. Now that LCD's are the must have this Christmas season, people are practically giving away perfectly good HDTV CRT's on Craigslist. 32 inch Sony and Samsung HDTV's are popping up for $300-$200. They paid $900 or more two years ago but gotta have that LCD. 52 inch are $500. New those babies cost more than my car.

Those suckers are heavy but I'm not really into feng shui. I put the TV somewhere and watch it. They say a negative savings rate and rising credit leverage put us in the economic dodo we're in today, but I think the consumer can wrench out one more insane spending spree before we finish ourselves off.

:hah:

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
but wow, look at you, dropping big money on sat radio?!?
why not save the sub fee and just whistle a happy tune on those long drives???

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
They cost more, but I wouldn't even consider an LCD unless it has a frame rate of 120Hz. Fast action and football will look really crappy if you go with a 60Hz. I tried 4 of these things, but eventually settled on Plasma, which in my opinion has a fantastic picture. It all depends on where you'll be using it. Mine is in my living area which I always keep rather dark, so Plasma works well. If well lit or bright areas, you really do need LCD.