Which race or races are you going to this year?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Our first race this year is the spring Bristol race. We are already getting the trailer ready. I have it pulled out of storage and I'm getting it inspected today. We are staying at a State Park just east of the track. Anyone else going and where are you staying?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
well if i go this year it'll be kansas, chicagoland or iowa speedway as those are the closer tracks, unless my pending lawsuit goes to trial before year end or its settle out of court. if i go to kansas and iowa then i'll just come back home as i'm on 40 minutes from kansas and only 2 hours from newton, ia.

now if my pending lawsuit is settled out of court then i'll probably pick up bristol, daytona, dover and martinsville. i miss dover and martyinsville like crazy and wish those 2 races were night races and well, i want to go to the night races at daytona and bristol.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I've never been to Daytona. That will have to wait until the kids are grown and on their own. I'd have to go to everything if I made the trip down there.

I go to the Dover, Spring race each year. We do our family vacation the week after that race since we are close to the beach. Last years spring race was one of the worst races that I've seen at that track. The only thing that could have made it better would have been lights. The fall race was one of the best at that track. You never know what you're going to get!

Martinsville is one of my favorite tracks. IMO some of the best racing there is. Haven't been there since the day of the Hendrick plane crash. It clashes with the High School Football season so I have to wait a few more years until my Son is done playing.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
well i have a soon to be 4 yr old and well, she isn't keeping me grounded as her mom gets her more than me thanks to our court systems and well, we all know how well our court systems work.

i picked daytona as i've never been to a plate track and i picked bristol because of the obvious, because there is nothin better than some short track racing under lights.

when i used to live in petersburg, va i would attend richmond, dover, martinsville, the rock, and lowes, and we would just come back home after the race.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
We're now done with with Richmond because of the cost. I had to buy the complete season, which included the IRL to keep my seat location. I did that for 2 years and ate the $200 IRL weekend each year. Heck, I couldn't even give the tickets away!

I'd like to see Martinsville under the lights in October!

I never made it to the Rock.

Been to Lowes Speedway once. I'll go back after the HOF opens.

Also, did you see that Dover gets a real pit road this year?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i've been to the irl race there at rir and actually enjoyed it, but i was disappointed at the ticket price versus the competitive cars (meaning more cars a lap or more down versus lead lap cars).

i've been to the all-star race and labor day weekend races at lowes, but never the fall race.

i'd like to see martinsville under lights at both the fall and spring races.

as far as the hof goes, i'm still torn that they're building it in charlotte, and i understand why, and i'm not saying thid because i live it, it just only makes sense, but if they would have put it in the middle of the states it would have been more accesible to people and encouraged people to travel to it instead of having to shell out tons of money. ie: shorter distance from california to missouri versus california to north carolina

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I couldn't justify the IRL weekend. It is around a 900 mile round trip for me @ around 9.5 mpg with the trailer. Gas was over the $4 mark last year. I couldn't do another race weekend.

I've only ever done the 600 once @ Lowes. Good race but I'm not a fan of the 1.5 mile tracks. I'll still go back but mostly for the shops and HOF. I did the 600 weekend followed by the Dover weekend a few years ago. Two weekends in a row! That was great! I need to have that lottery retirement plan kick in so that I can follow the circuit!

Martinsville under the lights in March, I don't know, sounds cold.

HOF, I understand what you are saying but the history of most other sports didn't do that either. Heck, even the Rock and Roll HOF is in Cleveland, OH.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Both Bristol Races
All Major Races At Kentucky Speedway (NNS, CWTS, IRL)
Maybe even a few weekedns out at Eldora too

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
No I do not camp at the track, I have relatives that live 15 minutes from the track on the Virginia side.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
LOL.........Shame on all of you!!!

I wasn't planning on going to any this year, but all your talking, is making me want to go. :)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Dp,

No I am not. I have a friend that lives 15 minutes away NO LODGING expense LOL

Thanks for the reply. We normally have the kids with us and avoid staying at the track those times. I already have reservations for some State Park in VA for the spring race weekend, I'm looking ahead to the August race weekend.