Which comes with a better antenna?

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have never been partial to either service ( :rofl2: ) but I would give the edge to XM. My antenna on my truck has lasted at least three years but I am lucky to have a garage for it though. I do like the smaller antenna.

xm_satellite_radio_truck.jpg

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've asked this question numerous times and never got an answer:

I know that SIRIUS and XM antennas are cross-compatible. SIRIUS Dot Matrix is the best car antenna offered on the SIRIUS side, and the XM Micro is the best on the XM side.

Which is technically stronger? Reception-wise (dBi and such). Again, probably a question best answered by someone at TSS.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Both the Dot Micro and XM mini antenna are both rated for a 2dbi extra gain. Your question of better reception will be hard to answer in general, mostly for geographic purposes. Also take into account ground repeaters. One Xm user may get better reception than a Sirius user due to location and ground repeaters. In reality we may not even be dealing with the hardware the user has to determine this issue, but more the satellite and terrestrial signal they would be able to get.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It's not so much a question of reception as it is a question of reliability. I've never had an XM antenna fail but I have had a Sirius antenna fail :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
It's not so much a question of reception as it is a question of reliability. I've never had an XM antenna fail but I have had a Sirius antenna fail :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahhh. Good point. We do have a new sirius car antenna made by TRAM. It has a thicker cable on it so in theory it will last longer. We have had it for 6 months and we're very happy with it. Tram Square Car Antenna for Sirius

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My XM antenna always outlasted by Sirius antennas by a long shot. In fact in the years I was running both in my vehicles, I probably replaced my Sirius antenna 3 or 4 times, while my XM antenna just keep on chugging. I hope they do make better ones now, because before they were junk.