Where Do You Download Your Music?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Don't be shy, we won't think bad of you if you're honest. :)

I get some from iTunes and Sirius. The rest I have are from CD's that I have or buy, or get from others.

I haven't ever used Limewire or any torrent sites.

I did, back in the day, have Napster when it was the rage and free.

So, how do you get yours?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I like using Audacity to record songs off Myspace and my Stiletto 2. Plus I do own over 200 cd's in my collection.

Last edited:

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Amazon simply can't be beat. DRM free, high bitrate (256kbs) MP3's and a huge selection. Price is often cheaper than Apple and they run specials every week like 5 For $5 Fridays where they offer 5 albums for $5 each.

I'll never buy iTunes again. There is simply no reason to buy DRM protected music any more.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I've bought a few things from Itunes. i always burn to CD then re-rip to remove protection. I've also ripped all my CDs which makes up the bulk of my collection. And I still have a couple gigs of songs from the original days of napster.

I've never used any torrents and havent used p2p since napster, although I do peruse the newsgroups from time to time.

If I really want something though, I will buy it. Like the latest Metallica. i bought that direct from their website. DRM free and high bit rate. Once they start posting shows from their upcoming tour I'll buy a show or two.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
For 2 years I had an all you could eat Yahoo Music Account. I initially got that when I got my Sansa Connect. A few months ago Yahoo begin offer a transfer of the service to Rhapsody. I must admit, I am not a fan of anything Real. But Rhapsody has been okay. I use it the same way I did Yahoo. I download the music, run it through Protected Music Converter and then drag and drop it into iTunes where it adds the album art and then I load it on my iPod.

I am very anti-DRM. When I purchased my 1 year Yahoo account, it came with a free year because I paid for it with a MasterCard. I am now in that free year, but with Rhapsody, I was glad they honored it.

I have bought a lot of music from iTunes and Amazon's MP3 store as well.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Amazon. I don't buy from iTunes, I don't torrent or anything else, I only buy Amazon's simple, cheap, DRM-free MP3s. I still buy CDs - some from Amazon, some from a local store called Soundwaves.

DaJoker

Oct 15, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Mainly I use iTunes, but usually only buy their newly offered iTunes+ tracks which are DRM free. When I can't find it on iTunes, I do check Amazon, and of course will grab the occasional Amazon deal of the day album when it's offered at a simply silly price.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
95% of my music is from CDs I already own.

The rest I get from puretracks.com. Its the only site that will let me download to Canada. Amazon is where I tried to go but they are very thourough about their Canadian credit card checks.

I will get DRM or MP3 depending on which is cheaper. I have a DRM remover so I can put it on my SL2 without having to go through the SL2.