When will we be able to pay tolls with our smartphones?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Beginning June 1 with FreedomPassMobile you will be required to enter the 3-digit lane number displayed on a sign as you enter the lane. When you hit PAY on a green background on your smartphone (see picture nearby) the gate will go up and your account with be debited for the toll.

Compare that to how I use toll roads:

I get in one of the 3 EZ Tag lanes. I don't slow down. I don't wait for a gate. I don't enter a 3-digit code. My account is debited because there's a sticker on my windshield.

Why would I want to use a mobile phone app?

Here's a picture of three of them:

Eztags-front.JPG

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Hell in Texas and Colorado you don't need a toll tag or anything. Fly through the toll plaza at full speed, they take a picture of your plate, look up your address and send you a bill.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Compare that to how I use toll roads:

I get in one of the 3 EZ Tag lanes. I don't slow down. I don't wait for a gate. I don't enter a 3-digit code. My account is debited because there's a sticker on my windshield.

Why would I want to use a mobile phone app?

Here's a picture of three of them:

Eztags-front.JPG

Still irrelevant. People CAN use their cell phones at toll booths. That is the topic at hand.
The question isn't even if it's idea or not. The technology can only improve.

I'm still right, you're still wrong.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Only by choice. :yesshake:

Of course its irrelivant as meme will never admit he is wrong.

Although he does have a valid point here. Smartphone toll collections will never be the ONLY method of collection. If it works there would probably need to have some sort of broadcast/proximity sensor on it.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Still irrelevant. People CAN use their cell phones at toll booths. That is the topic at hand.
The question isn't even if it's idea or not. The technology can only improve.

I'm still right, you're still wrong.

Yes, my guess was wrong.

But back to the topic I want to argue. Why would anyone prefer a phone app over a transponder? How do you close that sale?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yes, my guess was wrong.

But back to the topic I want to argue. Why would anyone prefer a phone app over a transponder? How do you close that sale?

Your point isn't the question of the thread. The point that you're trying to make is moot since you're basing your opinion on technology that's currently in use not what the technology will become. The iPhone has only been around since 2007, and there has been a lot of innovation since then.

So unless the basket on your Cruiser has a Flux Capacitor, you can't be certain that a viable cell phone toll payment option won't be developed. I still win.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
North Texas roads now have toll lanes with special rates for carpooling.

North Tarrant Express

You have to go online to register your carpool.

Technology now days, they've had to come up with a way to use smartphones to pay tolls & keep track of carpools.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The EZ-pass or whatever they're called seems the way to go.

But... what about a system where you register your license plate and give your credit card on the company's website. Register as many license plates as you'd need to. You'd drive through whichever entrance and your license plate would be scanned. You'd exit and your license plate would be scanned once again. Your card would be charged as appropriate.

Basically the same concept but without the need to transfer the EZ-pass between cars.

Reactions: semipenguin

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

But... what about a system where you register your license plate and give your credit card on the company's website. Register as many license plates as you'd need to. You'd drive through whichever entrance and your license plate would be scanned. You'd exit and your license plate would be scanned once again. Your card would be charged as appropriate.

Basically the same concept but without the need to transfer the EZ-pass between cars.
We just put an EZ pass sticker on each car. They are free.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

Car have become more & more electric. I'm sure with the wifi technology In today's cars, it won't be long before we can be transponder free.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Because it's a hassle to have to pay cash tolls in Florida & Texas & Oklahoma & Kansas, when I don't in New York, New Jersey, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc.
You're special. Most people don't go all those places. And even then, I bet you'd be fine if there was a single transponder that worked everywhere.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My old office had a couple of transponders. It was a pain to check one out, if one was available. The single transponder that could work everywhere could be your cell phone. Why not deal with payments on line at the end of the month instead of having another device? Do you have stock in the transponder company? Do you want to win the debate so badly that you don't want there to be any more technological advancements?