When will we be able to pay tolls with our smartphones?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I wonder when they will create apps that allow you to pay your tolls via app & not have to use a transponder? :scratch:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I wonder when they will create apps that allow you to pay your tolls via app & not have to use a transponder? :scratch:

That could be helpful but in Houston, they use EZ-Tag it a small device. You have it hooked on your windshield and just drive though the ez-lanes, where they just charge you on your credit/debit card. I remember using them in Houston, whenever I was driving around on Beltway 8.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
My guess is "never". The mechanics of drive through toll booth transactions make cell phones the wrong solution, unless you stick a transponder on them and tape them to the windshield.

A better idea would be a national standard for transponders and billing. Then you (and I'm looking at you, Semi) would never have to stop and pay a toll.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
My guess is "never". The mechanics of drive through toll booth transactions make cell phones the wrong solution, unless you stick a transponder on them and tape them to the windshield.

A better idea would be a national standard for transponders and billing. Then you (and I'm looking at you, Semi) would never have to stop and pay a toll.

I like my idea :)

Foursquare tolls :idea:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I can see it happening. They are already testing different proximity systems to send different marketing info to phones while people are in stores. They have these micro chips they put in led light bulbs that pulse the light in a way that you can't see but your phone can. So when you're standing in the cracker aisle, you will get a coupon for Wheat Thins. There's another version that uses an audio frequency you can't hear but your phone does (like Shizam). So I'm picturing things changing very quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I can see it happening. They are already testing different proximity systems to send different marketing info to phones while people are in stores. They have these micro chips they put in led light bulbs that pulse the light in a way that you can't see but your phone can. So when you're standing in the cracker aisle, you will get a coupon for Wheat Thins. There's another version that uses an audio frequency you can't hear but your phone does (like Shizam). So I'm picturing things changing very quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How is that better than a toll transponder? You'd have to have your phone on and looking for some signal from the toll plaza, while the transponder does it all the time. All it has to do is echo back its RFID when it gets zapped. Phones don't have the gear to do that right now, and none of the gear they do have provides a better alternative.

Transponder technology is better suited to paying tolls than a smartphone is. I can see them building transponders into cars eventually, and you just sign your car up for whatever services you want.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
How is that better than a toll transponder? You'd have to have your phone on and looking for some signal from the toll plaza, while the transponder does it all the time. All it has to do is echo back its RFID when it gets zapped. Phones don't have the gear to do that right now, and none of the gear they do have provides a better alternative.

Transponder technology is better suited to paying tolls than a smartphone is. I can see them building transponders into cars eventually, and you just sign your car up for whatever services you want.

With the stuff I've just seen, it's very likely to be happening. It's just a different way of exchanging/processing the data. Your phones GPS could activate the proper app when you're approaching the toll booth and the phone can handle it from there. Maybe a car's transponder would sync with your phone. The nice thing about using your phone, is that you can control it and pay all in the same place.

You are the same guy that said HBO would never be available from sources other than cable providers. That was what, a couple of months ago?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Which comes first paying toll booths with Cellphones or the average weight of a toll booth operator going over 300 pounds?

Too late for that last one.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
With the stuff I've just seen, it's very likely to be happening. It's just a different way of exchanging/processing the data. Your phones GPS could activate the proper app when you're approaching the toll booth and the phone can handle it from there. Maybe a car's transponder would sync with your phone. The nice thing about using your phone, is that you can control it and pay all in the same place.

You are the same guy that said HBO would never be available from sources other than cable providers. That was what, a couple of months ago?

HBO will never be available without a cable subscription. Still true.

Do you use a toll transponder? You just stick it to your windshield, then you can drive through the toll plaza at 70+ mph. There's nothing to control. There's no need to make sure your phone is on, or the app is available, or any of that other stuff that if it fails will get you a ticket. You just drive through at full speed. Phones can't top that technology.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Which comes first paying toll booths with Cellphones or the average weight of a toll booth operator going over 300 pounds?

The easier it is to collect tolls and the less people you need to employ to collect those tolls will of course mean more toll roads. I think everybody should pay their tolls in pennies to ensure that the operation is as inefficient as possible.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
HBO will never be available without a cable subscription. Still true.

Do you use a toll transponder? You just stick it to your windshield, then you can drive through the toll plaza at 70+ mph. There's nothing to control. There's no need to make sure your phone is on, or the app is available, or any of that other stuff that if it fails will get you a ticket. You just drive through at full speed. Phones can't top that technology.

I've had the transponders. They are a pain in the butt. You have to get the device, set up the account, pay the monthly bill and you still have to stop, wait for it to read, and wait for the gate to open. You have so little imagination for a tech savvy individual.

They have already been tying different versions of cell phone toll collection. These aren't extremely recent, but they establish that the potential is there.
[ame="http://www.slideshare.net/silent_god/automatic-toll-collection-by-using-mobile-phone"]Automatic Toll Collection by using mobile phone[/ame]
American Roads company rolls out mobile phone app for tolls at gated facilities | TOLLROADSnews
PToll - mobile phone tolling to be launched at CTRMA in Austin TX | TOLLROADSnews

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/cable-video/19896-hbo-ceo-mulls-teaming-broadband-partners-hbo-go-no-tv-sub-required.html

Once again, I am right, you are wrong.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've had the transponders. They are a pain in the butt. You have to get the device, set up the account, pay the monthly bill and you still have to stop, wait for it to read, and wait for the gate to open. You have so little imagination for a tech savvy individual.

That's not what we're talking about, though. There are no gates, and the monthly bill is charged to a credit card. Like I said, I drive at 70+ mph through the toll plaza. The system reads my car and adds it to my bill. At the end of the month I get a statement. If the balance in my account drops below $40, they charge my card to bring it back up.

Oh, and the "device" is now a sticker.

I don't have to have a cell phone, don't have to have it charged, don't have to have it turned on, don't have to have the app running and I don't have to have a GPS signal. If you blow through the EZ Tag lane without an EZ Tag (or if we used cellphones, any of the things I just listed) you pay a hefty fine.

I have plenty of imagination, and I can imagine a solution that's better than a phone. I think all you have is a hammer and everything looks like a nail.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Page 11 of that slide show is just silly. For "Ease of deployment for public", all the public has to do with a transponder is slap a sticker to the inside of the windshield. With a cell phone, they have to get and maintain a cell phone, keep it charged and keep it on.

And for the stuff about bank details, that's bogus. You give them a credit card number or bank info and license plate number when you order the sticker. There's nothing tedious or inaccurate about that.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nope. I'm still right. The conversation isn't "does it work efficiently NOW," it's "when will we be able to pay tolls with our cell phones." That day is coming. I'm saying that it's likely to occur in the foreseeable future, and you're saying it's never going to happen because you have something else that works. There is precedence that has been established, and technology is growing at a rapid pace. Contrary to your opinion, It is completely plausible that this will happen.

The good news for my position, is that since it hasn't happened yet, there is no way you can prove me wrong.

I like winning debates with you. I don't know why Casual doesn't like it. :clueless:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Very few toll roads let you go thru at 70+mph.

States like Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois do. States like Ohio, Indiana, most of Pennsylvania, & New York make you slow down & go thru designated lanes.

I wish all states had open road tolling. It would be helpful :)

I do think there will be a time where having transponders will go away. Even Texas uses at least two different type of transponders.

EZ-Tag is used in the Huston area.

Around the D/FW area & I think up in Austin, they have TX-Tag.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an app that will pay both? :idea:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The speed limit on E-470 around Denver is 75. Most of the 'toll plazas' are just automated to work with a transponder, or they have cameras that record your license plate and send you the bill (just don't do that with someone else's car unless you want your ass kicked.)

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

kc1ih

Oct 16, 2008
Hudson, Florida
One problem I see is if three people with cellphones are riding in a car, will all three of their accounts be charged? But one problem I could see this solving is that of rental cars. Currently many rental cars will have the transponder for the area where it is rented, but the rental car companies add a hefty fee on top of the toll if the transponder is used. Some even charge a fee for every day of the rental even if the transponder is not used on some of those days.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
One problem I see is if three people with cellphones are riding in a car, will all three of their accounts be charged? But one problem I could see this solving is that of rental cars. Currently many rental cars will have the transponder for the area where it is rented, but the rental car companies add a hefty fee on top of the toll if the transponder is used. Some even charge a fee for every day of the rental even if the transponder is not used on some of those days.

Bluetooth? :confused:

All new cars have those digital, satellite radio antennas on them.

Maybe they can use those with your phone synced up to it via Bluetooth :)