When is a new Portable coming??

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by Mrwirez, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Member

I am waiting for a next generation Sirius portable or an XM unit WITH WI-FI. XM screwed up with the XMP3 by not including wi-fi. I also think I would get an XM radio now with the Best of Sirius. Since the music is the same, I think XM with Best of Sirius has the best setup..

So does anyone have any info on new portables??

2. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

An XM unit with WiFi would be awesome.

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

The XMP3 is smaller and lighter then the Stiletto. I don't think they made it with the idea of having WiFi...:right:

I'm sure they may make their next radio with WiFi. If they do, that'd be cool...:)

4. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Probably never IMO.

5. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I wonder if they will make a new portable under the Sirius name or XM name, or both. the MiRGE is a nice example, it is XM tech basically with a Sirius chipset in it also. They seem to know the XM tech is a bit better. So perhaps the next portable will take the look and tech of the XMP3 but add the features and maybe a visual GUI cue from the Stiletto series. It's a safe bet. Maybe a new name too. Maybe a new knife/shoe type? The new SiriusXM Switchblade? SiriusXM High heels? Haha, who knows.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

The next portable if it is ever developed will look like an iPhone without the phone.

7. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

A portable MiRGE with WiFi from either the Sirius side or the XM side would be beyond imaginable.

Unfortunately, such a thing would probably cost $500 and not include any car or home kits.

8. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

So you mean exactly like the iPod Touch?

9. sportboy

sportboy Member

I would like to see one soon but I'm not holding my breath. I don't believe Mel is big on the portables going forward.

10. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Member

I believe XM has had better radios over the years and my friends that have had both say that Sirius has better reception out here in the woody hills of western PA. XM has a lot more repeaters also, so it should pick up better in the urban and suburban areas..

I was looking at XM's talk channels too and some of my favorite shows are on at the correct times and are full shows. As some examples, Ed Schultz is on XM live from noon to three, a full three hour show. XM has Leo Laporte, "The Tech Guy". Sirius does not carry Leo, and Ed Schultz is not live from 3-5 pm with the last hour cut off. Stephanie Miller is only on for one hour at 8PM on Sirius.... There are many more too. I am a hardcore Stern fan and have had Sirius since 2005, but I think XM has better radio's and a better line up. Honestly ... XM with the best of Sirius is the best line up out there.... Plus you get MLB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, and the NFL..

The XMp3 Needs WI-FI !!!

11. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Member

I hope one comes soon. The XMP3 would be fantastic if it would handle scheduled recordings like a Stiletto. (Without the memory bug of course.) Scheduled recordings on xmp3 are useless. But the multi-tuner, and reception is awesome.

When and where is Leo on? I loved Leo on TechTV until G4 f'ed up the whole channel.

12. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

hook me up with an ipod touch that is able to get live satellite radio (not internet stream) that can record satellite also. this along with all the features the touch has already. if something like that becomes an option i will be saving some cash and jumping right in!

-jhdk

13. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ZDTV was awesome! it has gone down hill ever since those days. but didnt they employ beth of a little bit? that boosts their status in my book, but still the channel blows and has ever since stopped being ZDTV.

-jhdk

14. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Techtv was good. It had its ups and downs. But G4+techtv was the last nail in the coffin. ZDTV was as nerdy as a channel could get.

Leo does all sorts of stuff now, stop by twit.tv and twitlive.tv for his stuff, also, revision3.com has some techtv alum hosting shows as well. and of course, chrip pirillo has his live stream at live.pirillo.com

15. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

g4 is like a crappy gamer website. their reviews blow and those entertainment shows they attempt to put on are awful. if i want reviews or gaming news ill head over to ign.com or something like that. however, g4 does play reruns of cops and arrested development at times. that is really the only time i find myself watching the channel.

-jhdk

16. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I can't wait for the Stiletto 3 or whatever the new SiriusXM PNP is going to be called... I almost want to get a Stiletto 2 but I'm afraid of buying one right before a new one is announced.

17. MM

MM Administrator

This is the boat I am in.

I want the XMp3, then I'll retire my SL2. I want baseball, so I'll wait and see about that May 1st rumor, then I'll decide.

18. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

What May 1st rumor? The only one I'm aware of is the one on April 28th when SIRIUS makes the switchover to 128k.

19. MM

MM Administrator

20. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

It's really funny you say that. It's basically what I've heard in the rumor mill. Something like the iPod touch. I don't think the next line of radios will come out until at least the Holiday Season, but perhaps into the few months of the next year.