1. Hectic Art has been promoted to Admin. See the thread in the News section.

When Howards Contract Runs Up

Discussion in 'Howard Stern' started by TSS Taylor, Sep 5, 2009.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

What do you think he will do next? We will take submissions here and keep this up until we find out the answer. One response per person. See who is closest to the truth.
  2. Die_LaMattres

Die_LaMattres New Member

I think he'll leave if another overinflated, overpaid contract can't be negotiated by fellow shyster, Don Buchwald. And with the shape this company (and terrestrial) is in, I don't think they will offer Hoard anywhere near what he's raping them for now. I wonder if anyone asks him where the 100 mil a year is going? Oh, yeah - Schwartz and Goldensteinberg Chimneys Inc.:)

The only way I see him staying in the very, very dim limelight he commands these days is a once a week, or maybe once a month "special" of some kind.

With this lightened schedule, he can devote more time to his loving bride. Good luck Beth - spread for Grandpa. :jj:
  3. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I envision a combination of 1-2 days/week of live broadcasting (possibly in the afternoon) and Mastertape Theater the other days.
  4. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Just FYI for the sake of the thread your first guess is what will stay.
  5. semipenguin

semipenguin Dy-no-mite!

He'll do a morning show on MSNBC :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I think he should do a game show of some sort. I'd watch that.... I bet his popularity would explode if it's a good game.

/I still hate antiquated boring Howard because he negotiated a good deal, even though Sirius could have said, "Go to hell"
    //I wish I lived in the Hamptons
    ///I'll continue to listen because I'm a tool like that.
  7. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I'm going with another 2 years at 4 days/week, but with possibly another week or two of vacation time. Don't think he can totally leave just yet... Artie, though, might not stick around.
  8. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Interesting thought. What do you suppose he'll do with himself?
  9. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Considering there's money to be made, I have a hard time seeing Howard retiring. It has nothing to do with him "loving satellite radio", he has no ability to walk away from cash.
  10. Blitz71

Blitz71 Member

I say a two year deal for three days a week. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.
  11. Steel Cranium

Steel Cranium Active Member

Walk away - retire. He has always said he doesn't want to be in radio as an old coot like Imus. This is opportunity to go out on top. He doesn't need any more money. Robin, Fred, Gary will do ok. Artie?? Who knows. If he does work, it will be on TV, interview show.
  12. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Here is my prediction.

Howard is going to re-sign with Satellite Radio for 3 more years and may have some slight tweaks in his schedule or responsibilities.

He will get the same $100 million or more, because quite frankly SIRIUS XM makes a lot of money off of him. He guaranteed has at least 2 million if not more subscribing for him. At about $10 per subscriber that is $240 million in revenue. So I highly disagree that it is a bad money decision to keep him on at $100 million per year.

When he comes back he may take a month or two break and he will highly emphasize upon starting that he is totally done and will retire at the end of the two years. For the first time ever AT THE BEGINNING of his new contract he will be telling people he wants them to find jobs or other careers and may help in doing so.

There will be more shows introduced at the next time to fill in more gaps and those shows will be more popular than the current ones.
  13. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Do Meth and walk to St. Louis!

Something to consider - Howard may not need $100 million this time around to keep him at the level he is at now. Didn't a lot of the money go for infrastructure, etc. for Howard's arrival? Since that is all in place, Sirius might be able to pick him up for less than that $100 million per year, without touching Howard's bottom line.
    Chob likes this.
  14. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

He has two huge negotiating points.

-He isn't on iPhone app. If he gives permission he can get more money
    -He was never paid for Best of SIRIUS subscriptions. They will argue that point

He and his agent aren't going to feel sorry for SIRIUS I'm sure. I guess both sides will try to argue as many points before coming to a conclusion.
  15. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Oh. Sorry to keep posting but it IS POSSIBLE Howard may re-sign with SIRIUS XM and maybe find a way to keep the amount of money more secretive.
  16. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

A few days a week and broadcasting in the afternoon.

That's my guess.
  17. Chob

Chob New Member

To me it sounds like he wants to go, and they won't be able to continue paying him as much. Mel himself said that they overpaid for Howard (not saying I agree or disagree, just using that quote as reference).

So I'll go with a return with a lighter schedule, possibly three days a week, and hopefully some more development of new shows on the channel. He won't get paid as much, but he'll use the extra time to explore other investments and projects, maybe movies, TV, etc.

And while I'll spare everyone the BS that is "replacing Howard," they may put on an emphasis on shows with similar audiences and attitude being on the channels. Maybe Bubba, whether it be exclusive, not exclusive, (that is if he hasn't retired to race and go to his son's races). Maybe Ellis, if they decide to go that route and take him off Faction. Perhaps Miserable Men since they take any opportunity they get to do their show. Hell, if O&A decide to part ways and the Virus is history, maybe they'll bring on Ron and Fez.

Maybe the fabled "third channel" will be used as a sort of Stern channel spin off and could be used for these shows and the development of new programming. I have to say my biggest disappointment with this "revolution" so far is the lack of new shows and new ideas. And it's even more disappointing when Howard hyped up having notebooks full of ideas and has in my opinion failed to deliver. But with the companies financial woes and merger difficulties, I don't think he's completely to blame.
  18. Die_LaMattres

Die_LaMattres New Member

I believe paying any one performer 100 million is ridiculous, especially if that person puts zero effort into his performance. That is the problem now. Too much money=carefree attitude=lackluster performance. Throw in the fact that the company is bankrupt and has a huge debt due at some time (again). How will they weasel out of that this time? More refinancing? Isn't that the main reason the country is in the state it's in?

The more shows idea I like. Of that 100 million - Hire Ron and Fez, The Radio Chick and others. Give up a bowling alley or a chimney and produce the channels like you are contracted to. It wouldn't be so bad if there were other "radio" shows on the Stern channels - and I don't mean Riley, Wack Packers, or that cuntstain Mutt. They aren't radio people. They are people who do two things Hoard needs - kiss his ass and work dirt cheap. What happened to all the name talent that was begging to be a part of the revolution? My guess is they expect to be paid, and that is a no-no to the bony miser.

Feel free in insert a famous Iron Sheik quote right about now.:jj:
  19. tsave31

tsave31 New Member

I say he takes a month or two off from radio and then returns in the shows same format (4 days a week, mornings).
  20. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I think he is opening up to the idea of producing hte content himself and then distributing it to other outlets.

He may no longer work directly for Sirius, but instead get his own studio privately (like bubba) and do the show there. From there, he will be able to sell it to different content providers. He can charge for the ability to stream the show online from ht website for a fixed rate a month, and subscribers to that service will get extra goodies, such as video downloads, exclusive live stuff, etc. But He can still let Sirius broadcast the show as long as they pay him for it. Same goes for streaming/podcasting on itunes and other content providers. This way he cuts out working for anyone.

In this scenario, though, he will be "the boss" of the show and be doing the firing adn hiring and paying of staff directly, so they may get cut back signficantly. Less staff, but a better show possibly. Also, specialty shows can still be produced under his brand as well like on Howard101.

Just my guess.