What's With All The Bad Acting?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's obvious to me that whenever they do a bit with Sal, he comes into the studio and does a poor job of acting upset, or seeming to have an interest in something weird, or having to explain something. And it's not just Sal; Bobo does a bad job of acting annoyed, High-Pitch Eric tries to act confused about homosexuality, and Ronnie acts sarcastic and annoyed.

What's going on? Is this new, or is there some reason I'm just noticing it now? I think in the past, they had wack packers who were actually demented, who didn't need to act.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
ronnie is a character and has been for as long as i can remember. so yea he plays it up but he always has.

sal is a toss up. i think hes 50/50 on in studio appearances where hes actually serious or just pretending.

bobo is a moron. he will do anything his dumb head thinks howard might like. im positive all that drives him is trying to make howard happy and he will act, or do whatever else it takes to make that happen.

high pitch im not sure about. hes pretty much retarded but at the same point hes smart enough to run multiple scams on people. im not sure how genuine he is. i would believe either side. he may be faking it or he may not.

Reactions: greenearth

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
not just sal. the entire show is overproduced and obviously scripted these days. that's why its RARELY ever funny anymore. there is ZERO spontenaity.

what do you mean by that exactly? so lets say when brent came in today you think he had all that stuff he was saying at the soccer game and then what he said in the studio written down for him to say on air?

yes i think they have an outline of what topics will be discussed on any given show and some notes on each of those topics but i dont see that as scripted.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I haven't heard today's show. But most of the content coming out of Howard's mouth is scripted. Perhaps Brent want, but damn near everything else is.

Sent from my iPhone 7S using Tapatalk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I haven't heard today's show. But most of the content coming out of Howard's mouth is scripted. Perhaps Brent want, but damn near everything else is.

Sent from my iPhone 7S using Tapatalk

you think hes reading from a script? like a movie or tv show?

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Notes, yes.

Is it line after line like a TV show especially with the goofing or random chit-chat bits? Is every show like a Bitter Half episode? I don't think so.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
yes, especially when he's interviewing, he seems to be going off a checklist of questions. also, when the recorded politician bits play and he responds to them, he's clearly reading off a script.

ok, i agree that the political bits and the handsom howard or polite ronnie bits are scripted the same as a tv show. id guess that with the interviews he may have a list of questions but i wouldnt call that scripted cause there is no way to tell the flow of an interview or if he could get to them all.

that being said its funny we got into this on monday and then on tuesdays show they had like 3 or 4 segments that were those recorded bits where howard asks scripted questions.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Does anybody find those fake politician phone calls funny? The obvious bits are almost universally horrible. The bits where they might be scripted, but aren't obviously so are hit or miss.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Does anybody find those fake politician phone calls funny? The obvious bits are almost universally horrible. The bits where they might be scripted, but aren't obviously so are hit or miss.

agree. all the political call ins are a FF for me. i do kinda like the normal robin, or handsome howard calls though.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
agree. all the political call ins are a FF for me. i do kinda like the normal robin, or handsome howard calls though.
This. Now I'm reminded of the Ted Kennedy bits he's done over the years. Once he got going with that, it might go on for an hour or so. Some weeks he'd riff on Ted every day.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
errra...his ted kennedy way the best. sometimes they would get so deep into it that robin, fred, art and howard would all be doing the impression back to each other.

Last edited:

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Imus specializes in those scripted impersonations of political figures. The are seriously unfunny and made worse by his team of forced laughers. I thought Howard's Hillary Clinton impersonator reading from a script was seriously unfunny. At least he only has Fred and Robin to do forced laughing and they don't sound like they are laughing at a dictator's jokes like the Imus people do. .

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I really miss listening to BTLS more than a couple hours a week.

Manson is seriously, by far, the best in the business. Listen to the bits. There's a reason (besides Bubba needs the money) they are all on CD. Even the old bits are still good.